Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Critique my first attempts at piro tic tocs & double piro flips

Hey guys, I've been flying since February - but seriously flying since May of 14. (by seriously I mean I logged maybe 10 flights from Feb to may)

Anyway, I've been practicing in the sim a lot lately and have made some good headway. I've recently had a breakthrough with piro tic tocs and double piro flips, both of which eluded me for a while.

Anyway I wanted some feedback and critique. It's a sim video. I'm actually better at both of these moves than it appears, due to the lag in the FRAPs program I used to record.

Anyway, let me know what I should work on. Thanks guys!

Piro Tic Toc (0 min 31 sec)

Double Piro Flip (0 min 31 sec)

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good stuff but don't see what you mean by "double" piro flips, as far as terminology.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inner3 View Post
Good stuff but don't see what you mean by "double" piro flips, as far as terminology.
2 full piros per half flip.

Lynx Team Pilot
Old 02-26-2015, 02:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have a decent start on both.

It think it was discussed in another thread, but skids in piro-tocs are much less frequently seen. Not sure if that is what you want to learn first, but just making a statement. You have an okay start to them. I would practice a combination of slow mini-rainbows, and continuous tic tocs, catching them like you were in the video when they get outta hand.

The doubles were okay. Some were quite okay, others, not so much. It is imperative to keep the disk spinning a consistent direction (away is most common, and what you were shooting for from the looks of it).

For both moves, I'd say your piro rate is a bit high for a beginner. Trying turning it down about 10%.

I also practice with different helis (on the sim). With different control behavior, piro rates, and roll rates. This helps me learn to 'fly' the maneuver. When you can randomly pick a new heli and nail a double on the deck, you know you've come a long way toward mastering the move. However, I have a heli that I'm most comfortable with, and I do about 90% of my sim time on that.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code3Medic View Post
You have a decent start on both.

It think it was discussed in another thread, but skids in piro-tocs are much less frequently seen. Not sure if that is what you want to learn first, but just making a statement. You have an okay start to them. I would practice a combination of slow mini-rainbows, and continuous tic tocs, catching them like you were in the video when they get outta hand.

The doubles were okay. Some were quite okay, others, not so much. It is imperative to keep the disk spinning a consistent direction (away is most common, and what you were shooting for from the looks of it).

For both moves, I'd say your piro rate is a bit high for a beginner. Trying turning it down about 10%.

I also practice with different helis (on the sim). With different control behavior, piro rates, and roll rates. This helps me learn to 'fly' the maneuver. When you can randomly pick a new heli and nail a double on the deck, you know you've come a long way toward mastering the move. However, I have a heli that I'm most comfortable with, and I do about 90% of my sim time on that.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

I can actually do piro tic tocs backwards (skids out) also, although not nearly as neat. I have the first part down, but the "toc" is sloppy. Will be working on both.

And today I've been working on the piro speed in the flips and being able to do it with different models. I'm MUCH more comfortable even today than I was yesterday.

It's crazy, it's like a whole new piro world has opened up recently. I've learned that a LOT of the piro moves I see can be done if you know how to piroflip well - and a ton of new transitions are just coming to me now.

I'm really enjoying this.

Now, to do all of this IRL.

Lynx Team Pilot
Old 03-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes, 2 things i noticed. learn piro tick tocs skids away first. then learn to walk them left and right, up and down, then begin to turn them. ironically enough, some learn sideways piro tic tocs easier than skids away, you may want to try that. i learned skids away, then went to sideways, all went well and smooth.

prio flips. just ensure that you are at 0 collective when perpendicular with the ground. i actually go to 0 as soon as i start the flip, then catch with neg on the inverted side. a bump of collective when beginning the stir will give you the float you need. this keeps your piro flip in one spot better.

i am a horrible teacher, but thats what worked for me.

Team KDE Direct, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2015, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Little trick I use if you wanna record video without a superbadass video card
When I record real flight, fraps interferes and drops frame rate quite a bit. It makes it hard to control like your video seemed. The best way to get around it is record the flight in the sim, (R on real flight, Phoenix does this as well) and then fraps the recorded flight.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Critique my first attempts at piro tic tocs & double piro flips

neXt has a frame by frame video export for perfect 60fps videos. You have to be a bit of a guru to put the video together (ffmpeg) and record and sync the audio, but the results are fantastic.

Piro Tic Tocs (Pirotocs) - neXt Simulator (0 min 32 sec)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys. Great tips on recording.

I actually just hit the 1 year mark this past weekend so I recorded some video. In this flight I tried piro tic tocs and double piro flips. At this point believe it or not I have nailed doubles. I can pick any heli and do them first try very low. I've learned very well how to stir and make small corrections in the maneuver.....

Only problem is it didn't transfer over to real life very well on the doubles. I'm thinking I was just nervous, and I was stirring too fast with too much cyclic. I think on my next outing after I'm a little more comfortable with it I'll nail it just fine. I've learned that doubles are all about finesse, at least for me.

Anyway, there are some solid piro tic tocs in there and some *very* messy double piro flips, but nonetheless it's a flight. Kind of repetitive but overall I'm pretty happy with where I'm at. I've hit somewhat of a stride in learning and overall skill level I think because I am picking up new things fast. Piro hover training helps so, so much.

Anyway, let me know what you think guys. Will probably have to go full screen, I don't fly that close yet.

Goblin 500 with zeal 520s. (4 min 4 sec)

Lynx Team Pilot
Old 03-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now flight, brings back memories of when it was nice enough outside to fly . That goblin 500 is a hell of a machine
MotorG525 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2015, 07:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well in 2 weeks time I first learned how to do double piro flips and piro tic tocs in the sim, and now I can do both in real life with no issues. Awesome tips guys, helped me a ton.

SAB Goblin 500 Xnova 4020-1200 Zeal 520 (3 min 46 sec)

Lynx Team Pilot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in