Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 'corkscrew' manuever. how do you do it

hi. a few days ago the interesting looking 'corkscrew manuever' was discussed on the general section but it is pretty difficult to learn. ive studied carefully the youtube video that compares this with piro tic tocs, and replicated the stick movements in the sim, but its a big old mess. yeah i know, you cant just replicate stick inputs and expect a manuever to happen like magic. we all know it doesnt work like that haha. anyway, can someone please describe exactly how to do it.
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's just a variation on horizontal funnels.

Nick Maxwell One Tank Tip: Horizontal Funnels (2 min 42 sec)
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The way I learned it was to come towards yourself (well, not exactly straight towards yourself obviously because safety lol) and give right aileron/left rudder simultaneously. It will end up tail down/out and nose up/towards you. If you keep doing this movement continuously and get the timing right you can turn it into a corkscrew. As seen at 0:36 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA1_...g93kYi&index=1

Eventually you'll get the movement and you won't have to start it that way and you'll be able to just do it. Eventually you'll be able to do a woohoo, which is basically just a single, stationary corkscrew. Note: He does right rudder in these, but it's basically the same thing.

woohoos 2:30 in this video, corkscrews at 2:09
LOGO 690 SX | VTX 697 (3 min 49 sec)
Number is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2016, 02:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

thanks for the advice on this one guys. there seems to be a lot of different variations and orientations, making it tricky work out. one observation (and correct me if im wrong). i said in the other thread that to me a 'corkscrew' was an open barrel roll. now the funny thing (and it would be cool if it was true) is if you highly 'abbreviate' that set of inputs to be on the spot, you get a very similar looking 'rolling twisting thing' to this corkscrew. the stick inputs look similar too. so is it correct that the two maneuvers are related? its the only way ive found an 'in' on this so far. although nick maxwells vid is help full its still not easy to see what hes doing. Just a variation of horizontal funnels is not helpful is you dont know how to do horizontal funnels

Last edited by neverland; 12-15-2016 at 04:04 AM..
neverland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2016, 05:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

How are your single-piro piro tictocs? I imagine if you have control of those, you can start minimising the stirring just down to aileron with corrections.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Im good on piro tic tocs. Can reverse them and all sorts. Not sure if i can miss an input out. You know what muscle memory is like with these things. Might have to forget these as i really dont understand them. Oh well , cant do everything.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yah, focus on mastering funnels, and also tightening funnels until they stay in one place. Once you can do this, try it horizontally managing the collective to keep it in the air.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i can do funnels in all orientations, but its nothing like a funnel. you train for a long time to do them flat and horizontal so shifting them from horizontal to a weird angle is going to be very difficult. and there is no collective up down input with funnels either. but i shall have another go (one thing i am is persistent lol), but cant promise i will get any where. im an old pilot and a bit set in my ways

thanks for the advice though
Old 12-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is how I'm trying to learn them. Stabilised piro TT into Corkscrew and back again.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

nice piro tic tocking. but i cant really see any change to another maneuver. maybe this one is more for the performer than the audience
Old 12-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverland View Post
nice piro tic tocking. but i cant really see any change to another maneuver. maybe this one is more for the performer than the audience
Depends how well you execute it. Really clean piro tic tocs can be pretty flat and crisp. Like a normal tic toc but with yaw rotation. Where the 45 degree funnel (corkscrew) rotates the angle of the disk quite a bit.

I'm not the cleanest at it, but I can drive the heli around while doing the piro tic toc (like in a vertical loop). To do this you have to have some control of the disk angle through the maneuver. So mine haven't gotten kind of flatter as I improved with them.

1:25 in this video is my standard PTT where I intentionally try to work it into a center and lower position. Actually when you practice any maneuver that's stationary, it's good to try and intentionally move it around to learn the corrections.

Protos Max Leggero Winter Flight at Bayside (3 min 23 sec)
Old 12-15-2016, 08:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey neverland, you might want to adjust your tail piro rate faster or slower so that you can replicate the stick movements in the video from Jonas. What sim are you using? Maybe slow down the simulation speed to 50% or so and then then tune the tail so that you can replicate the the maneuver at full stick deflection. Watching the video from Jonas, his tail piro rate seems to be around 520°/sec. To get a similar looking speed in Phoenix I'm at 420°/sec.
kfjensen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2016, 04:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use phoenix too and always slow the tail piro rate down a lot as they are set far too fast. I will just keep practicing, hoping something will fall into place. I still think im on to something with my comparison with barrel rolls. Have you tried a barrel roll in place to see what i mean. Surely thats a sideways funnel of sorts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in