Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Cheapest Batteries for 700e ?

I just picked up my first 700 - I'm excited. I don't have it in my hands yet, but UPS should deliver it in the middle of next week.

I want to order a couple batteries, but I'm not sure what size and weight to get. I want them to be CHEAP. I'm not a fan of expensive batteries. (I have my reasons and don't want to debate)

Reccomendations? MAH?, C-rating?, weight?

My goals for them -

I prefer Zippy over Turnigy, I've better luck with them (nano-techs have worked pretty well though) I want the lowest C-rating possible without having them come down scorching hot and puffy. I fly about 50/50 sport and light 3D. I will overheat 20C Zippys on my 450. I'd like to be able to use them in a 550 or a 600, or a Logo, whatever helicopter I end up with next (I like to buy and sell so I can try different models), I'd really like to have them be usable in other heli's too. I realize there are trade offs, but that's' a pretty important aspect to me, use in other models.

One other battery question - I have some 6S 2650's for my 500, I bought them new and use them evenly, They are 45-90c, will they work in my 700, at least for FBL setup, light test flights, or are they just way to light?
phranticness is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gens Ace, cheapest in the long run with best performance regaurding inexpensive batterys.

4200mAh 30+ c is fine for stock setup sport flying. 750 to 800 grams is what your going to find.

Me I like Thunder Power G6 4400 > 5000 65c running hundreds of cycles @ 715 grams
Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have 3 sets of Gens Ace 4K's at $130 a set. I fly similar style as you, and get 5:30 on the timer at 1875 RPM. I don't notice the low RPM with how light the packs are.
Ecaf is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thank you for the suggestions.

I will take a look at GensAce. I know I've seen them for sale, but I cannot remember what site.

Who sells them the cheapest in the US. I'd rather not order out of the country if I can avoid it.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hobbypartz.com
Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Buy $1500 heli.... Ask for cheapest batteries possible...... The logic defies me....
Thunder Power 65C LiPo & JR 12X
350Z_Al is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Z_Al View Post
Buy $1500 heli.... Ask for cheapest batteries possible...... The logic defies me....

I didn't want to debate. Just to clarify, I paid a third of that for the 700. I buy 87 octane fuel for my streetbikes. I run auto transmission fluid in my dirtbike crankcase. I don't run synthetic oil in any of my vehicles. I use outboard oil in my Jet ski. I run used old fuel in my boat from vehicles I part out (my business). I save napkins and ketchup packets when I go out to eat. I'm cheap. I'm proud to be cheap. If I wasn't cheap, I'd only have one hobby, instead I'm able to enjoy several.

I understand you have a different point of view than me.

Please, if you don't have a constructive comment, don't leave one.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

This is not a 'cool' comment.
I drive a lexus but I'm not rich nor do I take it to the dealer for service.I bought it because they said its a very reliable car,so I saved up.
I don't see your logic here.This hobby is expensive,so you save up on a few things and use the money towards the others,SIMPLE.
Scorny is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I get where All was coming from. This is an expensive hobby and IF your actually going to FLY your heli and not just put it on a shelf to look at; buying the Cheapest batteries is NOT the cheapest way to go.

If your going to just fly a little and not hard then buy cheap as possible. For me if I bought cheap batteries I would SPEND twice as much because less cycles and more degradation.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using two Sky Lips 5000 mAH 40C from HobbyPartz for $80 each. Only problem is they're out of stock right now. The 30C is still available for $70 each.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/skylipo6s30c.html
Agibbs996 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cheap batteries in a nice (and expensive) heli doesn't make much sense to me either. But at the same time this whole C rating thing is a bunch of crap. So I am an advocate of running low C rated batteries and at the same time saving money. So you could buy a quality battery with a low C rating. I run 25 c 5000 mah packs that weigh a half pound lighter than my buddies 65 c 5000 packs. Remember that a 30 c pack (mathamaticlly) can be discharged in 2 minutes. It is impossible for any heli with the proper battery to discharge this quick. The wires comming out of these 65-90 c rated batteries can't even handle that kind of current. Anyways I've exploded the cheap batteries (5000 mah 6 cell) in flight on my 600 last year. Luckily I didn't burn the field down. For the record my Hyperion 25c batteries dont even get warm with a flat throttle curve set at 100 percent and 4 and a half minutes of hard 3d. Guys that are worried about not having enough "punch" with low c rated batteries can throw a cap pack on.
HeliHoverAP is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sure when we say cheap,we are not talking about lipo's that cost $5 a pack.
I'm using Gen Ace and Zippy's in my Trex 700 F3C.Compared to TP's these guys are cheap but for best bang for the buck,they can't be beat.
And so far they've been great.I'm sure a lot of guys on here will attest to this.
I don't fly 3d and I'm not what you will call an experience flyer.
Plus I'm sure the OP used the word 'cheap' in the wrong context.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's always going to be those not so intelligent comments made on here guys. Out of all the lipos I have flown....Thunder Power 65C's, Gens Ace, Turnigy Nanotechs, Volts, if I had to stick with one brand I would go for the Gens Ace. They are just as good as the Thunder Power packs....PM'ed you on a little inside info between gens ace and thunder power cells.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would recommend instead of spending a bunch on batteries, get yourself a good powerful charger that can charge you packs quickly. I have the Powerlab 6 from FMA Direct which enables me to charge at a high rate to be able to charge as quickly as 15 minutes.

I use both Nano Tech 5000mAh and Gens Ace 5300 mAh batteres. The NT can be charged at a rate of 8C and the GA are 5C. I have not charged at that right, I will charge 4 packs in parallel and just under 2C for each battery.

Enjoy the 700 is a great flying machine.
jflowers84 is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agibbs996 View Post
I'm using two Sky Lips 5000 mAH 40C from HobbyPartz for $80 each. Only problem is they're out of stock right now. The 30C is still available for $70 each.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/skylipo6s30c.html
I am currently running Sky packs in both of my ducted fan jets as well as my 700e. They have been flawless so far. Very good prices at Hobbypartz too

S
Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for all the great tips folks.

It seems battery weight does not effect CG much on a 700? is that why I see so many different size suggestions? Looking at the design, it appears that may be the case.

Last edited by phranticness; 04-07-2012 at 11:12 PM..
Old 04-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

^^^^^^ I'm using the GENS ACE 4000mah 25C on my Trex 700E F3C V2,I've got 3 pairs.
Since I'm a newbie and not doing any 3D,they are very nice,no complains at all.
I will bump it up as soon as I get better.I bought them at hobbypartz.
I'm sure about your experience or flight preference,but you can check out the 5300mah.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Why? $1500's cheap. I have a 600 which cost me over $2000 before I buy a battery.

Cheapest batteries are Turnigy. I use their 6S stick version on my F3C and they work fine. Mind you 1 in 4 of the batteries I have bought from HK have been duds and you have to pay the cost of returning them and the cost of delivering the replacements. If however you are a stick banger IMHO Turnigy's will be no good for you. Better to double your battery budget and buy better. I also use Voltz (they are so so but I understand they might be changing builders) and Kypom on a Furion 6. They are both twice the price of Turnigy. I did try some Kongpower but they were way too heavy.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

well I must say Im not a rich person at all and really can not afford the hobby and I have a 700e and a 450 pro running gens ace and blue lipos. the way I look at it the guy is trying to save some money and for me the breaking point on actually being able to get the 700 was that i find batteries for my budget. and 400 to 500 dollars for some nice thunder power packs was defintly not in my budget I had to use my income tax to buy the 700. so I understand what you were saying 350al but not everyone can afford those high dollar packs and if my choice was to have a 700 with cheap batteries or no 700 at all I would still take the 700. im not trying to be a jerk just explaining why I dont like the way you wrote your comment. all that said if I had the money you better bet I wouldhave thunder power packs cause i do think they would save money in the long run but man that initial cost is
Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for everyone's input.

It seems that every battery post ends up with some debating in it, I was hoping to have a thread without arguments about battery brands, just suggestions, but I guess it can't be avoided, it's a topic that a lot of people are passionate about.

I really like hearing about brands that folks have had good results with, brands other than Turnigy and Zippy. Because of suggestions from this threads contributors, I'm strongly considering giving GensAce a shot.

I personally own several brands of batteries for my other models, I have thunderpower and they are awesome, the charge time is unparallelled (I assume it's because of superb cell matching) But for me personally, the cost does not justify the results)

For anyone reading this thread in the future, trying to determine what batteries to buy for their application. It is true, if you choose Turnigy or Zippy batteries, you will take a risk of dud batteries, don't plan on exchanging them, the return policy is designed to make exchanges cost prohibitive. I've found that roughly one out of 10 batteries in those two brands is a dud from new, I'm sure others will agree. Some can be repaired, (re-solider) Some will charge slow because cells don't match well, some will be unusable. It's a risk you take with them. Most charging fires you hear about are with one of those two brands, another reason to consider higher quality brands. But as many others have reiterated, the least expensive brands are sometimes the best choice at the time. Hopefully some of the suggestions in this thread will help you decide what size, C-rating , and weight to purchase.

At this point I hear two popular choices 4000mah and 5000mah. I hear a 20C rating is sufficient. (160 amps continuous with the 4000@20c X 2, which should be plenty for most)

Thanks again for the input from everyone.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in