Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question CPII or AP2000i

My flying skills are not progressing as quickly as I would like because of the fear of crashing. My main prolem is the loss of orientation; I panic and start banging the sticks. So my idea is to buy a stabilizer system, that will function as bail out switch.

I feel like the AP2000i may be the best choise, because of the overall quality of the Spartan products, but on the other hand it seems that there is much more information in this forum about the CP2. It looks like much more people are using the CP2 (don't know why).

There are some other factors that might influence the decision:
  1. I have only one channel left on my Tx, which is an on/off toggle switch for gear retract on channel 7 (so no gain control possible from tx).
  2. I don't need position hold, just leveling the heli
  3. I want it turned of by default; and turn it on by flipping a switch; so the device needs to initialize very quickly. Or, maybe I can use a mix for ch7 to have the stabilizer turned on always, but with zero gain, and use a programmable mix to some percent gain when the switch is flipped.
This brings me to another question, is it possible to not use the vertical sensor of the Cp2? I won't really need it, and it saves weight and wires.

Also, would it be possible to mount the main sensor on the bottom of the frame (between the skids) of a T-rex 600? I really don't like the wires running along the tail boom.

Btw, my tx is a (almost)vintage Hitec Eclipse 7 (but with 2.4 Ghz Spektrum mod)

Thanks in advance for the replies!
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

THe CPII can free your gyro gain channel on your Rx by using the 4th channel option onthe CPII Avionics computer.

Setup of the CPII is quite simple compared to other systems.

It is possible to go without the vertical sensor, but having it makes life so much simpler
as to location..as long as the sensor has a clear view you should have no issue.

As to wiring..all depends on how crafty you are..

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info.
Didn't know about the Gyro ch4 option of the CPII.
Where did you get these braided wire wraps?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The servo mesh covering is common enough from most shops, I happen to have it @ work so I managed to save a few $$$.

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi

I concure with NF, the vertical sensor is tiny maybe 20X30mm and saves you setting up CPII prior to each flight/session.

The gyro gain issue is also not a problem providing you only use one gyro mode like HH for instance so that sould't deter you. You can set gyro gain easily on the ground with the IRNet programmer.

I think I read somewhere the on switching CPII on you get to start leveling with in 2secs.

One other issue you should consider is whether your flying enviroment is suitable weather wise as well as the area you intend to fly in.

The CPII is a well thought out easy to get on with system and many pilots using it wouldn't leave the ground without it.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see the vertical sensor is only $10 extra, so I will buy the package with this sensor anyway. Also usefull when I might sell the CPII in the future.

My tx (eclipse 7) has two proportional knobs; in heli mode they are used for adjusting pitch and throttle curves while flying. Useless, and there is no way (not that I know of) to assign them to different channels/functions. In other words, I have no way of adjusting the CPII "gain" except by flipping a switch. Do you think this will be a problem?

The environment I fly in is mainly open field, so I guess that would be perfect for the sensor to see horizon
Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenvw View Post
I see the vertical sensor is only $10 extra, so I will buy the package with this sensor anyway. Also usefull when I might sell the CPII in the future.

My tx (eclipse 7) has two proportional knobs; in heli mode they are used for adjusting pitch and throttle curves while flying. Useless, and there is no way (not that I know of) to assign them to different channels/functions. In other words, I have no way of adjusting the CPII "gain" except by flipping a switch. Do you think this will be a problem?

The environment I fly in is mainly open field, so I guess that would be perfect for the sensor to see horizon
On the switch that you will assign can you control/program ATV's or % of travel?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, I can adjust subtrim and endpoints for ch7, so I could use those for "off" state (subtrim smal positive value, so the CPII is turned on but not doing much) and "on" state (endpoint defines the amount of gain for the CPII). Right?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenvw View Post
Yes, I can adjust subtrim and endpoints for ch7, so I could use those for "off" state (subtrim smal positive value, so the CPII is turned on but not doing much) and "on" state (endpoint defines the amount of gain for the CPII). Right?
Yes, according to Howard Matos response to a question presented on this subject, he indicated that value determins the amount of overall CPII intervention in correction.

Tags
ap2000i, cp2, cpii, hitec eclipse 7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in