Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
I'mnot getting into the oil vs. grease debate for radial bearings again.
Yes I am not wanting this either. Just want to see what people use.

Me personally on my other RC stuff have always used a lightweight oil on anything that slides(metal on metal) For bearings I will repack them with a little bit of good quality grease and thats that until it decide to service them.
jtroutt19 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you gharkin ! I have thrown away 3 BLS254 servos BECAUSE the STEEL motor shaft seized in the BRASS motor bearing UNDER THE CIRCUIT BOARD. Oilite Bronze would have been a better choice for a motor bearing in a $140 servo.
Four Stroker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Stroker View Post
Thank you gharkin ! I have thrown away 3 BLS254 servos BECAUSE the STEEL motor shaft seized in the BRASS motor bearing UNDER THE CIRCUIT BOARD. Oilite Bronze would have been a better choice for a motor bearing in a $140 servo.
May I learn more about how you oil the bronze sleeve bearing on the futaba brushless servo motor?

- the top bronze sleeve bearing is easily accessible under the pinion gear. I can add oil to that sleeve bearing easily.

- the bottom bronze sleeve bearing is blocked by the circuit board. The motor is soldered the circuit board and glued to the middle section of the servo. I know this because I broke open a used BLS351 servo. It had an intermittent screaming noise. The local futaba service center told me the motor was done and wanted 60 dollars to replace the motor. I couldn't justify the payment so I poked around myself. I screwed up and pulled the motor wires off and ruined it but I didnt see any non-invasive way to get to the bottom bearing.

So how did you lube/maintain it without breaking it? I have more than 12 futaba brushless servos. I could really use some help.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Stroker View Post
Btw, according to this study by NMB, link here, the number 1 factor that affect sleeve bearing life is the operating temperature. Their study shows life span drops by more than 60% once operating temp reaches 60degree C (140degree F) for a typical fan sleeve bearing.

For your bls254 (entirely plastic shell), heat dissipation could be an issue.

PS, now I understand why high torque futaba servos, such as the 37kg BLS172, have metal mid section and bottom plate.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Oil, grease and dryfluid

I use triflow oil on shafts with moving parts on them (main, tail), synthetic grease on thrust bearings and dryfluid on gears. I also use the triflow on ball bearings which basically forces me to oil often.
CostaRicaHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thrust bearings get grease and motor bearings and OWB's get triflow every so often. Shaft bearings are all shielded or sealed and the tail shaft is always dry and clean. I clean all my unshielded/un-sealed bearings every 6 months or so.

Tucson is dust central so exposed oil/grease is just asking for premature failure.
GauiX3 350mm 6S
TucsonFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Finless approved...

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V_TailLub.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	695272  
Old 02-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

HAHAHA! You got a smelly and itchy tail there man!

Blue Waffle!!
Old 02-21-2017, 06:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphibia View Post
May I learn more about how you oil the bronze sleeve bearing on the futaba brushless servo motor?

So how did you lube/maintain it without breaking it? I have more than 12 futaba brushless servos. I could really use some help.

Thanks
Just dunk the whole works in oil.

OK, dont do that. Dont look up Blue Waffle or Sootikins either.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:47 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
Just dunk the whole works in oil.

OK, dont do that. Dont look up Blue Waffle or Sootikins either.

HAHA!!! Why not look up blue waffle......hehe
Old 02-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

"
- the bottom bronze sleeve bearing is blocked by the circuit board. The motor is soldered the circuit board and glued to the middle section of the servo. I know this because I broke open a used BLS351 servo. It had an intermittent screaming noise. The local futaba service center told me the motor was done and wanted 60 dollars to replace the motor. I couldn't justify the payment so I poked around myself. I screwed up and pulled the motor wires off and ruined it but I didnt see any non-invasive way to get to the bottom bearing.
"

That's why I threw it away ! JR servos have a hole in the circuit board so you can see the bearing.
Four Stroker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Scorpion bearing lube...not for the Addtl oil you'll eventually need anyway but the long nice controlled needles, I don't need oil everywhere...it always beads one to two drops nothing more and I love it...pitch pump related tail wag vanished after lubing it... Not a good idea to run a new tail shaft and main shaft with zero oil haha learned that one the hard way after about 10 flights...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in