Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How do I setup a stock x5 for a grandpa? hovering only. Not even sport.

This is a stock X5 FES with microbeast.

Literally, a grandpa. My dad is used to flying old 30/50 sized nitro helis, that were underpowered and sluggish. He would actually put flybar weights on them to make them extra sluggish and stable. He only flies tail in, and 'walks' his heli around the property hovering about 10 feet in front of him. I believe he 'likes' it when you get the underpowered lag response when you pitch up, sort of like 'bouncing' the heli.

So I want the opposite of responsive, maximising stability. What suggestions do you have? Here are some specific questions I have.

1) The microbeast has a setup section where you limit the cyclic throw, should I use that to limit my cyclic pitch, or should I just use the pitch curve on my dx8 to limit the cyclic?

2) I have a 14T pinion I am going to try, to slow down the headspeed a bit. What will happen to stability when I slow the HS down too much?

Any other suggestions?
Vertflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

no you dont limit anything in the transmitter escept endpoints if you have it set to transmitter mode. you can set it down to the slowest flying mode. You set the collective pitch limit in the beast 10 deg would be a good starting point. the cyclic you can set it to sport mode and bring the end points down in the radio to like 85%. By nature the X5 is nothing like those helis if he wants something like that you can do it but the power to weight ratio these days just doesnt allow it to be slowed down much. its designed as a 3D heli... it will never have that mushy feel unless you put a ton of expo in and really tweak around with it. there is no straightforward set it up this way. as for going down to a 14t make sure you use the black dampers in the head otherwise you will get some bad wobbles.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

beast x on transmitter mode, rates set to 70-80% and 40-50% expo if he wants it to be very docile and not twitchy at all as far as the collective stick movements go

i would say 9o of collective pitch that will make so it wont shoot up in the air like a rocket.

i would probably say around 2k-2300 rpm on the head speed

if i really wanted to tone one down that is what i would start with.

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's just really hard to tone down a BALLISTIC machine lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in