Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DDVP...Sweet!

The concept of a direct drive variable pitch tail setup has been around for awhile and many people have successfully used the DDVP setup on their helicopter and have really liked it.
Well…I can finally say I’m one of them now. I have always like this idea and knew one day I wanted to give it a try on one of my Bees and now that day has come.

Being the first DDVP setup I have ever built there are still a few things to workout and improve on, but I must say…WOW!...this puppy rocks!

I am so freakin happy I was actually able to get it to work that I just had to post up a video…enjoy
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjgu-mWYie8&feature=related[/ame]

Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey HH That is pretty cool. Great job as always.Could you when you get some time post the parts you used for the DDVP tail. I would like to try this on a blade sr.I have just completed my 3rd 450 fp....Man I need help! I will post pictures later today in the 450 fp thread.ATC is bringing over the few parts needed for his 500fp. Might be able to to test it out today or tomorrow. :-]
johnnycat500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

woah..Nuts-Oid! I'll stick to my "easy" King 2 FP conversion lol! Nice dude...
Old 04-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

nice!! look at the flag!
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
AtTheCross is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

sweet stuff, hank! def. an awesome upgrade for a bee!!!
Mr.Tan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

BADNESS!!!
Birdkiller is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been waiting on parts and motors from the 'King to do this. Looks great!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycat500 View Post
Hey HH That is pretty cool. Great job as always.Could you when you get some time post the parts you used for the DDVP tail. I would like to try this on a blade sr.I have just completed my 3rd 450 fp....Man I need help! I will post pictures later today in the 450 fp thread.ATC is bringing over the few parts needed for his 500fp. Might be able to to test it out today or tomorrow. :-]

Thank Bud, this DDVP concept is really growing on me and I think it’s a great solution for locking in the tail on the Bee and also my CP3s. Just like the SR, the CP3 biggest down fall is the tail…the DD setup works, but blow outs are going to happen, which for me usually leads to some crazy out of control crashes. The main reason why I like this concept on a fixed pitch setup is because the DDVP tail rpm are somewhat constant and is separate from the main motor rpm, unlike a belt drive setup on a FP bird…here's my thinking on this...the belt drive tail setups are great on a cp helicopter that have a constant head speed and uses blades pitch to create lift, but because the head speed is used to create lift on a fixed pitch bird, which changes from low rpm in a hover to much higher rpm in hard lifts and forward flight. I have always had an issue with the belt drive tail holding well on my FP birds. If I setup the belt drive FP bird to hold good in a hover, the tail will wag like crazy in fast forward flight when the tail rpm are greatly increased and if I adjust the gain so there’s no wag in FFF the tail will be very loose in hover and punch out. For me there is always a compromise when dialing in a belt driven tail on a fixed pitch bird and it’s always driving me nuts, but with the DDVP setup I don’t have this problem…sweet.

This weekend I will post some pictures and a list of all the parts I used for the entire build. In HH style, I tried to make this DDVP setup the simplest and easiest I could, but it’s a heavy setup and there’s a lot of room to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaManDan View Post
woah..Nuts-Oid! I'll stick to my "easy" King 2 FP conversion lol! Nice dude...
Come on, lets put a super charger under the hood of your King and maybe even some nitrous oxide…Yeah Baby!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross View Post
nice!! look at the flag!
Seriously were I live the freakin wind has been blowing almost every day for the whole winter…This is very unusual weather in my neck of the woods and it’s driving me crazy. Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tan View Post
sweet stuff, hank! def. an awesome upgrade for a bee!!!
How you been Mr. Tan…how’s the CPX flying? I still haven’t got around to changing the head on my Belt CP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdubuque View Post
I've been waiting on parts and motors from the 'King to do this. Looks great!
Sweet Kris, what motor and setup are you going to use? Love to see some pictures of your setup when you get it complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
BADNESS!!!

This thing is crazy sick! If a Bee could get rabies…this is how it would act lololololol!
Even though the wind was still blow yesterday, I went ahead with another test flight and all I can say is WOW!...this thing is the sickest Bee I have ever flown by far and I haven’t even really pushed it yet.

ROUND FOUR.........DING DING!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyWSDXgyIDk[/ame]
Old 04-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELIHANKSTER View Post

How you been Mr. Tan…how’s the CPX flying? I still haven’t got around to changing the head on my Belt CP.
been good man, how bout yourself?... to be completely honest, i haven't touched my CPX or my bee since probably late november. been to cold outside and i didn't want to break anything. My CPX needs the pitch adjusted which i am still unsure of how to do (total noob i know haha). All in good time dudeson, its not like you dont' have other helis to fly in the mean time
Mr.Tan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

That thing is a RABID BEE!!!!

You should have stickers printed for it....." Rabid Bee" right down both sides of the canopy!!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

HH. When I get the parts and get things put together (and working) I'll let you know but this is what I've ordered.

18-11 2000kv Micro Brushless Outrunner for the tail motor
Trex-250 tail parts
Turnigy 2627 Brushless for the main - this is what I'm waiting on...
Speed controls for each
Left over stock servos from my 450

At least this is my plan when things arrive. After seeing your vids of the potential, I really want my parts!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool, Looking forward to how well a DDVP 250 tail setup works. I really wanted to use a 250 setup to save on weight, but was worry it wouldn’t be able to handle the torque from the main blades so I went with a King 2 tail instead. So please…please keep me informed with what you come up with.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another fantastic job HH !
Can't wait to see the full write up and pics.

Steve.
Stevespana is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 04:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELIHANKSTER View Post
Cool, Looking forward to how well a DDVP 250 tail setup works. I really wanted to use a 250 setup to save on weight, but was worry it wouldn’t be able to handle the torque from the main blades so I went with a King 2 tail instead. So please…please keep me informed with what you come up with.
I suppose that you can always put HB king blades on it to make it work... Unless the 250 grips dont take king tailblades...
Frett92 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frett92 View Post
I suppose that you can always put HB king blades on it to make it work... Unless the 250 grips dont take king tailblades...

Funny you should say this…because I did some preliminary test fitting about a month ago using an old 370 motor 2mm shaft, 250 tail blade grips and a pair of King tail blades. The King blades were not a direct fit, I had to sand the blades roots down a little to get them to fit the 250 blade grips…it seem like the blades would work, but that’s about as far as I went because I was having a problem finding a brushless outrunner with a 2mm shaft that would run on a 3s setup in stock, so I give up and went with a larger setup. I have seen a few DDVP 250 setups online and know it’s totally doable that’s why I’m totally stoked about Kris’s project.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevespana View Post
Another fantastic job HH !
Can't wait to see the full write up and pics.

Steve.

Thank Steve
I have a few mods I want to do on one of my FP450 this weekend, so my early weekend morning posting will be cut short, but I will definitely post up a few pictures of the DDVP build.

P.S Saw all the detail pictures you posted on HG…Totally Awesome Work Brother!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Damn you can fly Hank. I know Ive said it before..........but .............DAMN!

Sent from my Laptop using "Hunt and Peck"

FLThreeFiveZero is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLThreeFiveZero View Post
Damn you can fly Hank. I know Ive said it before..........but .............DAMN!
No doubt!!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
No doubt!!!!
Yeah

I wish I could do that.
Yellow SAB WobblinGoblin770 w/ iKon v2, Red Mostro v1 w/ iKon v2
byter182 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using the tail from a 250 because I picked up one of the 250GT kits from the King for dirt cheap. The cheapest was I could find all the necessary parts for a VP setup. We'll see if it works in a few weeks, that's when I'm expecting my shipment of parts to arrive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in