Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #21
ken22golf
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Good first video! Well done.

Only comment I will make is while this will work on the 450 Pro because the umbrella gear doesn't fit that tight into the inner races of the 2 bearings, tapping out the umbrella gear in this way may not hurt the bearings. But do not do this on say a 600 or 700. The bearings fit very tightly on those helis and taping out the umbrella gear in this way could damage the bearings causing them to be notchy. Proper bearing removal requires the inner race of the bearings to be supported in some way. Again on the 450 Pro this is not really an issue as they don't fit that tightly.

In either case if you tapped it out in this way just check the bearings anyway and make sure they are not notchy feeling. If they are, replace them and put them on to the umbrella gear by pushing on the inner race not the outer race.

You guys all want this as a sticky?

Bob
Thanks Bob, so would you not use this method on your Pro? What about a 500? So for a 600 or 700 you just work the bearings off with a knife or something just pushing on the inner race as you said (well, a knife sounds like a really bad idea, but just something with an edge to catch on just the inner race)? I'm really not a big fan of tapping out any bearings (except bad ones), but I had read about this method in the 500 forum. It seemed to work perfectly and was so easy on my Pro I decided to make a video rather than try to explain it over and over.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:44 AM   #22
heliboy88
Registered Users

Yes Bob, sticky please, so it might help others in case they don't see this thread. But maybe put some words about the tightness of the bearings on the 600 and 700 as you've mentioned.

Trex SE v2 -- HS65MG, GY401+9257, CC35, 430XL, GG, G Paddles, K&B Tail Blades
Trex 500 CF -- HS82MG, GY401+9257, stock ESC and motor, Align metal upgrades, K&B Tail Blades
heliboy88 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:57 AM   #23
PittJitsu
Registered Users

I think that I may have bought a cheap knockoff of the 450 pro from some hack on the sale threads. No wonder it was so cheap.
Mine doesn't have a cool servo on the boom, or a cf tail rod

Vote: STICKY KEN
PittJitsu is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:57 AM   #24
JAG1
Registered Users

Yeah man,sticky
Futaba 8FG
JAG1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #25
ken22golf
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittJitsu View Post
I think that I may have bought a cheap knockoff of the 450 pro from some hack on the sale threads. No wonder it was so cheap.
Mine doesn't have a cool servo on the boom, or a cf tail rod

Vote: STICKY KEN
I thought the hack didn't even notice and sent you one without ANY tail control rod.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #26
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yes this process also works OK on the 500 too as the bearings are not that tight on the gear. On the 600 they fit so damn tight it is almost impossible to get the front bearing off without damaging the bearing. The bearing seats tight against the umbrella gear shoulder and thus it's hard to get on the inner race to push it off. In the end I would keep a couple of replacement bearings just in case.

OK a sticky it is!

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #27
PittJitsu
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken22golf View Post
I thought the hack didn't even notice and sent you one without ANY tail control rod.
Ken, I love my Pro and the great way I obtained it. For those who don't know, Ken sold me a "pro" or at least I thought I read pro, only to wonder why it included a belt? This Golden member cracked open his own spare kit and basically sent me a pro for the price of a sport. Added a ton of extras I sure needed for a giveaway price, and then... My Paypal got locked down from a hack attack and he was nice enough to hold the heli while I mailed him a check/Mo, I forget... As Good as they are, Heli direct and the others cant do that for ya!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #28
sujju
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ken.. i have to say that's great work... this helped me placing my trex 500 right.. if i had not watched your vid i would surely have broken the front gear drive. keep the good work going on
sujju is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #29
toddress
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I have a question for those using the black TT. Like I said in the video, I've never used the black TT, but I know they always shear in the same spot near one end. I was just thinking that if it were to shear in the back at the tail case, that after removing the boom from the block and the long portion of the TT w/ bearing, you could probably just shake/tap on the boom/tail case to get the little end of the TT to fall out from the inside of the rear umbrella gear. Does that actually work? Or would you have to take the tail case off to get to it?
Yeah it just falls out mate...easy,infact i would still run the black tube but in reality it actually breaks and so does the front torque tube gears so its not really worth it.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #30
ken22golf
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddress View Post
Yeah it just falls out mate...easy,infact i would still run the black tube but in reality it actually breaks and so does the front torque tube gears so its not really worth it.
Hey thanks for answering my question.

I've still yet to use the black TT...I might use one eventually.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #31
PittJitsu
Registered Users

Quote:
Hey thanks for answering my question.

I've still yet to use the black TT...I might use one eventually.
Couple of things. First, thank you for the goodies. They got here today in good condition. Thats some box for a wire the size of a bicycle spoke! Ha ha.

I to use the black easy breaks and as the poster above states, I still get the joy of the pinion gear stripping, but with the added break of the tt. Keep in mind, I stink and I just kind of plop down more than I land gently, so take that into consideration.

IF you want to try them, I will be more than happy to send some back to you in your box. Let me know

Thanks Ken.
Pitt
Old 01-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #32
ken22golf
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittJitsu View Post
Couple of things. First, thank you for the goodies. They got here today in good condition. Thats some box for a wire the size of a bicycle spoke! Ha ha.

I to use the black easy breaks and as the poster above states, I still get the joy of the pinion gear stripping, but with the added break of the tt. Keep in mind, I stink and I just kind of plop down more than I land gently, so take that into consideration.

IF you want to try them, I will be more than happy to send some back to you in your box. Let me know

Thanks Ken.
Pitt
Yeah, I don't know what happened with USPS this week. I shipped six boxes out last Saturday via Priority mail (2-3 days) and most of the packages didn't arrive until the end of the week...I'm going to have to ship some other method if this continues.

Thanks, but no thanks about the black TT. I've got 3 spare silver ones here that I may never use as I'm thinking about selling my 450 to fund a 500ESP. Even if I don't it should take me a while to go through these here (hopefully).

Thanks anyway though.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #33
n808
Registered Users

My HF Map location

@ken22golf: You should make one version of the video showing the key 20 seconds to get the idea. I think the rest is fairly self-explanatory. The idea could be written down and explained in one short paragraph - but a short video stub would do the trick just fine Well made video though, with a keycam !
The fact that there's a choice of torque tube - break it, or break gears, was also new to me. I just got my 450 Pro and haven't crashed yet...
n808 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #34
ken22golf
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by n808 View Post
@ken22golf: You should make one version of the video showing the key 20 seconds to get the idea. I think the rest is fairly self-explanatory. The idea could be written down and explained in one short paragraph - but a short video stub would do the trick just fine Well made video though, with a keycam !
The fact that there's a choice of torque tube - break it, or break gears, was also new to me. I just got my 450 Pro and haven't crashed yet...
Yeah, that's why I said to skip to 4:18 for the actual gear replacement in my original posting.

And the reason I made the video is because I got tired of posting a written explanation of how to do it. I knew a short video would be the most helpful, but I got a little long winded because there was a lot of discussion about the TT on a 450 and how so many people were going through the front umbrella gears hitting their tail while landing. I wanted to give as much information about it as possible to the newcomers interested in buying the 450 pro. I didn't want the TT to scare them away because I knew the 450 Pro was such an awesome 450 so I wanted to show just how easy it was to swap them out.

The keychain cam worked well, but I wouldn't actually know if I was on screen or not until I uploaded the video on the computer. I had to do a couple retakes because I had gone off the screen. Other than that, it worked pretty well.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #35
helipro450se
Registered Users

Thanks for the vid, really came in handy for "this" NOOB!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #36
KCMike
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for the clip Ken. Make it really simple to work on!
Old 06-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #37
helidude71
Registered Users

Great video, I needed it today after a crash.

The keycam you made the vid with, I use a lot on my 450 PRO and 500 ESP.
The picture does vibrate a little, some vertical waves all over, because of the heli vibration.
But it's fun and cheap.
Phoenix R/C v5
helidude71 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #38
RotorHeadKen
Registered Users

This is without a doubt the video that makes you smack your head and think "D'oh, why didn't I think of that?"

Great tip.
RotorHeadKen is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #39
helipro450se
Registered Users

Stick it....
Old 11-10-2010, 04:24 AM   #40
darinr80
Registered Users

Thank you! I just stripped the front TT gears for the first time on my 450 Pro. This helped me out a lot!
darinr80 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.