Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Low Head Speed Helicopters

Low Head Speed Helicopters Low Head Speed Helicopter Setups and Flying info

Old 06-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #21
trillian
Registered Users

I am keen to see how it goes. I've got my Faifa flying really nicely now on 12s so I don't want to change it but I did start thinking about the possibility of setting up the TDR on 6s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Linders View Post
Everything was calculated with a 12t motor gear. I also have a 13t motor gear, this will give me a 9,23:1 gear ratio.
If I use the 13t, I can make idle flight modes up to 1350 rpm.
The flight modes can be like this: idle1 75%(1000rpm), idle2 85%(1150rpm), idle3 100%(1350rpm).

I think with the 13t motor gear and the 520kv pyro, I certainly have more options indeed.
trillian is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #22
RyanMccraeProductions
Registered Users

Ive always wanted a 6s TDR, I think because it was the first low head speed 700 I saw.
RyanMccraeProductions is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:56 AM   #23
trillian
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMccraeProductions View Post
Ive always wanted a 6s TDR, I think because it was the first low head speed 700 I saw.
Yeah seeing videos of the TDR was my first glipse at low headspeed flying. Right now I am flying mine on 12s with a 450KV motor and 13 tooth pinion so it's fairly low, about 1300 ish.

Going 6s would mean losing about 650 grams of weight so it would weigh only just over 4kg in total with a single 4000mah pack!

The Faifa weighs about the same, just ever so slightly lighter but not enough to notice really. (starts to get down to what canopy you put on them as canopy weights can vary by 100grams or so.)
Old 07-15-2015, 07:26 AM   #24
Lars Linders
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bought the pyro 700-52 with your help. Thanks for the advise.

I also consider the new vbar Neo, with the rescue function. It's a nice platform, which made me hesitate about the bavarian demon 3sx.
Could some of you skilled people give me a good advise about both of these systems?
I fly Jeti, and I don't want to change it for a vbar control tx, is the neo compatible with jeti?

Do you guys think the rescue functions will work properly with low headspeed?

Edit: Also the Spririt has my attention!

Last edited by Lars Linders; 07-20-2015 at 07:58 AM..
Lars Linders is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:40 AM   #25
wadders248
Registered Users

I'm biased towards the Demon, which performs very well from low head speed to use in my speed machine. I've not flown a Neo though, so can't compare.

As long as you've got good tail authority, high tails gains and can use full stick sudden moves without blowout in normal flight, the 3SX recovery will be just fine.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #26
Lars Linders
Registered Users

Old 08-11-2015, 05:05 AM   #27
wadders248
Registered Users

Here's my Faifa 800 after some 7s flying last night. It's running 1,000 - 1,100rpm and I get just over 12 minutes flying. It's still capable of gentle 3D and could built much lighter... the Kosmik log shows it didn't even peak above 60amps!

Old 08-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #28
Lars Linders
Registered Users

Nice kasama mate! Really nice goal flying 1000rpm also.

I've bought a Spirit fbl system, because it's possible to integrate it to the Jeti tx. I really like that feature.

I want to ask you guys for some advise again. I realtime doubt about which esc I've have to choose. I've always flew a kontronic Jive 120hv, and I never regret it. But since I want to fly Jeti, I consider buying a Jeti Mezon 130 for this helicopter.
Can you guys give me some do's and don't 's for choosing the Jive or the Mezon? You really would help me with it, giving me som advise.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:17 AM   #29
Lars Linders
Registered Users

Isn't it right that if I run my esc at 6s, instead of 12s, my running esc% still stays the same? Or do I have to calculate that also in halve?

Do I have to calculate like this? Like 12s/2=6s and 75%/2=37,5%
Does the esc also half it's working % if I halve the Lipo's?
Is this right?
Old 08-30-2015, 05:35 AM   #30
trillian
Registered Users

Quote:
Isn't it right that if I run my esc at 6s, instead of 12s, my running esc% still stays the same? Or do I have to calculate that also in halve?

Do I have to calculate like this? Like 12s/2=6s and 75%/2=37,5%
Does the esc also half it's working % if I halve the Lipo's?
Is this right?
The ESC will still be operating the same as it would on 12s. Some guys that run both 12s and 6s will often run the ESC at 100% throttle when running on 6s (depending on the gear ratio / headspeed).

In general you will have higher throttle % on 6s, definitely not lower.

The ESC is still operating the same in terms of PWM % internally, it just sends the lower voltage that it's getting from a 6s pack so the motor is running slower even at the same PWM.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #31
Lars Linders
Registered Users

Guys,
can somebody tell me why Spin blades?
Or should I better choose Radix?
Old 09-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #32
wadders248
Registered Users

Quote:
Guys,
can somebody tell me why Spin blades?
Or should I better choose Radix?
I prefer Radix or Rails blades, as they're great all-round blades and I've never been disappointed with any of them. I've got a set of Spin Mat Black 800 blades, but didn't really like Spin blades in other size. I haven't tried any of the latest Spin blades though.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #33
Lars Linders
Registered Users

Thanks, I think I'll also go for Radix main and tail blades.

Like I said before, I want to fly without a BEC, but with a serperate 2s LiPo for my setup. Because I want to keep my total weight as low as possible I don't want to buy a heavy rx pack.
Can somebody help me calculate how to discover which mah 2s LiPo fit's best with my wishes. The only thing I wish is that I can fly 4 complete flights with it, before I have to reload it again.
I think max flight time is 10 minutes, so max 40 minutes flight time is necessary for my with one 2s pack.
Can somebody tell me which minimal mah I need?
Old 09-24-2015, 05:20 AM   #34
Lars Linders
Registered Users

Nobody?
Old 09-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #35
trillian
Registered Users

Quote:
Nobody?

It's hard to say because every heli setup is a bit different and everyone's flying style will be different.

On all my electric helis I use a Kontronik ESC and run everything off the internal BEC. But I do have some nitro and gasser helis running on 2s LiPo and 2s LiFe packs.

I have run several different helis using a 2s LiPo and regulator and I was using 2200mah packs. I have two of the same size 2s LiPos and generally fly each one 3 or 4 times with plenty left in the pack. I don't remember the exact amount drawn but I want to say something like about 300mah per flight (this was with a Rave ENV electric and Knight 3D .50 nitro).

With the gassers I use 2s LiFe packs direct with no regulator and I have somewhat large (3000mah) packs because with LiFe it's not as easy to measure your remaining capacity, so I make sure I have lots of margin for error. I keep meaning to watch how much is going back in when I charge but keep forgetting.

I'd say a safe place to start is a 2200mah 2s LiPo and just use a LiPo checker at the field and keep watching the remaining capacity. Then verify when you charge, how much goes back in. If you do this on your first 3 or 4 flights you'll start to get a good idea of what you're drawing per flight. I don't think I'd run anything really small because you still need it to deliver enough amps for the servos.

The lightest setup would be using a Jive and the internal BEC. I have a Jive 80HV in my TDR (12s) and it is plenty capable, so maybe the 100LV for 6s - I'm not sure as I am only familiar with the HV Jives.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #36
wadders248
Registered Users

I only use RX packs on my Srimok and from memory I get three, maybe four flights (10 minute flights) at a push from 3600mah 2s packs. I used to use 2100mah RX packs with my Faifa and swapped after two flights.

Wouldn't a BEC be lighter than the RX packs though? As trillian says, the best option is the Jive 80 or 120.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #37
Lars Linders
Registered Users

This are two total different answers about how much power a flight takes from a rx LiPo.
It's not helping me. Is there anybody who can say something for sure? I hope one flight will take 10 minutes, and I want to fly 4 flights with one rx LiPo...
Old 10-08-2015, 04:14 AM   #38
wadders248
Registered Users

Well, I flew my Srimok this weekend, time to get the nitro ready for winter! I flew three ten minute flights with a 3600mah pack and there would have been just enough left for one more flight.

None of the flights were gentle either, so the servos will have been working hard. With nitro there's also another servo for the throttle, though that won't be drawing many volts.

What voltage are you running your servos? On this setup I'm running everything at 6v through a Gryphon Extreme regulator, so I don't notice the drop in voltage from full rx pack to almost empty pack.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:39 AM   #39
Lars Linders
Registered Users

Thanks, that's a nice answer. I'm flying Torq servo's, spirit fbl and a jeti Rex6 receiver. They al can have high voltage 7.4v, so no voltage regulator needed for me to drop it to 6v. I will fly it on 7.4v.

I think, with this information, it looks like 2200mah is not enough for what I want.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #40
trillian
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks, that's a nice answer. I'm flying Torq servo's, spirit fbl and a jeti Rex6 receiver. They al can have high voltage 7.4v, so no voltage regulator needed for me to drop it to 6v. I will fly it on 7.4v.

I think, with this information, it looks like 2200mah is not enough for what I want.
There's the trade-off between weight and flight times. I used to use 2200mah 2s LiPos with a regulator on my Rave ENV, even though it was electric and I also used those packs on a Knight 3D .50 nitro. I didn't want anything bigger because the size and weight was an issue so I would charge two of the same 2200mah packs and I would usually fly each one three times as that left a good margin of safety.

Now on my gassers I'm using 3000mah LiFe packs with no regulator and I have two of those as well. I keep forgetting to check how much gets put back after flying but I will try to remember to check it next time.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Low Head Speed Helicopters

Low Head Speed Helicopters Low Head Speed Helicopter Setups and Flying info