START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Zeal Rotor Blades

Zeal Rotor Blades Zeal Rotor Blades Support and Discussion

Old 02-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #1
Dylan Hudock
Registered Users

Thumbs down Zeal Blade Failure

I was out flying the Gaui X3 today, had taken off for the 5th flight of the day, and just gone into idle up (3250 rpm) and pop! The tail started to spin and it dropped. I hit hold and the damage was just skids, boom, and the missing tail blades. Upon inspection, the blades definitely failed at the root, there are the metal bushings still in place, and one grip has part of the root still there.

This was on the X3 with the plastic tail grips. These blades have not been in a crash, not nicked on the ground, and looked absolutely new. I have put around 30 flights on them. Funny thing is, after doing a quick google search, I can find a few threads with IMO, WAY too many cases of these Zeal 62mm blades failing. Zeal, could you chime in with your opinion on this? Not too happy with this, given it could hurt somebody. I do not have the blades, but here is a picture of what is left. Bad picture but you get the idea.

Here is another example http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=680523
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2680.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	637904  
Old 03-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
Number
Registered Users

I never liked the Zeal carbon tail blades. The Energy 360 and 380 are nice but I've never enjoyed flying the carbon tails. They have always vibrated and sounded horrible for me... and didn't hold the tail worth a darn. Edge 60 were my saving grace.

Sorry to see this... Zeal needs to step up their tail I'm afraid

I've never had a problem with Zeal mains but I've seen lots of people who have, along with lots of tail failures.
Number is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
Johnny31297
Registered Users

When does someone do something about this? Ban them, sue Zeal, prohibit production or something? This topic has been around for long enough and Zeal apparently can't get it fixed.
This is like the 4th case of tail blade separation and I've seen as many main blade delaminations
Johnny31297 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
Dylan Hudock
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think it is completely unacceptable. And I do not see Zeal even attempting to fix the issue, so we will continue to see more failures. Taking apart the heli, it is about $40 worth of damage that was caused by this. These seem to be designed wrong, as it isn't rare case, it is enough to google it and see many other examples.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
vebbyson
Registered Users

Seems that this company is not a reliable supplier... It seems from the start that quality control has been an issue.
vebbyson is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
Dylan Hudock
Registered Users

That is the general consensus I have been getting. I would have atleast expected a reply from the company regarding this, as having blades failing mid flight is not an issue to be overlooked.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
Brian James
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Hudock View Post
That is the general consensus I have been getting. I would have atleast expected a reply from the company regarding this, as having blades failing mid flight is not an issue to be overlooked.
The Zeal blades are as reliable as anything else on the market. Every single blade manufacturer has had defective blades. To state that they are somehow less reliable than anything else is simply untrue. There are thousands of sets of Zeal blades with hundreds of flights on them that never have an issue.

I've seen videos and heard discussion of other brands of blades failing too. While it does really suck when it happens and SHOULD NEVER happen, it's not like this is the first time a blade has failed.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
Johnny31297
Registered Users

Name one single case where a Fun-Key blade failed without prior damage. Just one.
Johnny31297 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #9
Dylan Hudock
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian James View Post
The Zeal blades are as reliable as anything else on the market. Every single blade manufacturer has had defective blades. To state that they are somehow less reliable than anything else is simply untrue. There are thousands of sets of Zeal blades with hundreds of flights on them that never have an issue.

I've seen videos and heard discussion of other brands of blades failing too. While it does really suck when it happens and SHOULD NEVER happen, it's not like this is the first time a blade has failed.
I do understand that defects happen, and blades will fail from time to time. I have never seen this many cases of blade failures with other brands though. Did you do a google search to see that there are quite a few other cases of this happening, especially in this size of tail blade? The blades fly great, main and tail, but these failures worry me, and I am sure many others.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:15 PM   #10
ZEALBLADES
Registered Users

Hi all,

We had some small issue with tail blades 62mm but we have fixed them long time ago. It could be some old ones. We will check the process much more rigid and make sure everything is ok.

Best regards.

Zealblades
ZEALBLADES is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:11 PM   #11
bobbyra
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEALBLADES View Post
Hi all,

We had some small issue with tail blades 62mm but we have fixed them long time ago. It could be some old ones. We will check the process much more rigid and make sure everything is ok.

Best regards.

Zealblades
It is no small issue when blades fly apart.Start paying for the parts on the helicopters that have crashed from this small issue.And is it a small issue
when 690mm delaminated in mid air i think not.
bobbyra is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #12
Dylan Hudock
Registered Users

They are obviously lower quality blades when they have many documented failures, let alone who knows how many people not active on forums have had them fail. A decent company would at least offer to replace the blades. Not that I would use them again, or give Zeal any of my money.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #13
bobbyra
Registered Users

Flying zeal blades is like playing russian roulette with a automatic pistol.
bobbyra is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #14
Dylan Hudock
Registered Users

Old 03-21-2016, 02:14 AM   #15
whatson
Registered Users

Well I can say I had some 690 blades delaminate which happened on first flight and was only in a hover with medium head speed. This caused alot of damage to my heli but after much discussion with zeal I got money back for the blades. I think zeal need to ask for these blades back at their cost. So they can look at the blades in person and figure out the reason these blades are failing.
I've got the carbon tail blades on my X7 & X5 and not a issue and still run the 520blades on the X5. Maybe from now on they should stamp a batch number in the gel coat at the root of each blade. That way if a bunch of blades fail they can trace back to see if it's a batch issue with in manufacturing or a design issue if happening over multiple batches.
whatson is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:44 PM   #16
TimBaconHeli
Registered Users

Default Blades.....:/

Not that it's completely pertinent, but I have to agree with "Brian James's" previous post in that all blades can fail. I have "zero" experience with zeal but can attest to another manufactures blades delaminating in the sky as I recently witnessed a set of 690mm revolutions with maybe a handful of flights on them in like new condition explode at roughly 1700rpm. The forces involved in rc helicopter blades I am learning are enormous and other factors like a simple unbalanced tail system will total the heli if left un-checked. A trip through math land will produce some scary numbers as far as physical forces are concerned and I am thoroughly impressed "all" blades don't disintegrate immediatly. Now I have absolutely no bias twords Zeal rotors and as I said no experience with the product. I'm just playing Devils advocate. Personally, I'm thinking because they are priced economically there are more sets out there and as such more sets out there? Just an opinion, as I have said, with no hard data to back it up. Consider it a mental excersice.....
TimBaconHeli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #17
wrench567
Registered Users

Here is a thread from the 500 class forum about Align blades. http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=733198

I also have a set of Gartt 325mm CF blades that came apart on my 450. But in their defense they had been previously crashed but inspection did not see any nicks or cracks. And they were still balanced. It was just the trailing edge coming apart.

I got a couple sets of cheap FG blades from Banggood for my 450 that have taken a good pounding. I don't do 3D so I don't tax my blades that much. Except the occasional crash or hard landing. I also run slow head speed on both the 450 and 500.

When I'm not going to be trying something new I put the Zeal blades on and fly. They have been great for me and my birds.

Pete
Old 04-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #18
Epoweredrc
Registered Users

I think any blade can break, i just hope i never have one break. i had some microheli ones breat at hub on a blade 300x in the past.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #19
JEEPWORLD2002
Registered Users

Do t fly zeal ne thing and won't ever either ;( Kbdd make good tails.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:01 AM   #20
Epoweredrc
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPWORLD2002 View Post
Do t fly zeal ne thing and won't ever either ;( Kbdd make good tails.
why is that?
I have Zeal blades on a copterx 450 for mains they seem to fly well enough. kinda heavy i think. i need switch blades and try others to see if fly any driffrent

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Zeal Rotor Blades

Zeal Rotor Blades Zeal Rotor Blades Support and Discussion