Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Audacity

Audacity Audacity Pantera Helicopters Support

Old 06-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
flyingquisinart
Registered Users

Default 90 conversation, real world, who's done it?

Hi,

I think I may have an itching to go with the big block conversion if the price is right on a second hand engine I have my eye on. Maybe I can use 15% fuel?

Who's done it? Are you happy? Any cooling issues? Is there any fuel savings vs say an actual 90 size heli?

Pantera P5 50 RNFBL, Blade 130X, mcpx, Gaui X5 FES
flyingquisinart is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
jbeech
Registered Users

I've done it, and love it . . . else I wouldn't offer it.

Cooling issues? Not as long as you grok fuel flow is part of the engine cooling and thus, run the engine rich. Of course this is easy because you simply don't need to lean it for that little bit of extra power.

Difference in fuel economy? No because an engine doesn't know in what it's installed. 15%? Sure!
IRCHA #745
www.audacitymodels.com
407-302-3361
jbeech is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
Yooper42
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jbeech, how well does this setup work in hot weather? Not that us northerners summers can compare to florida....�� ......also, when doing a BBC, are there other upgrades that should be included, ex.... Aluminum auto hub, steel counter gear??
Old 06-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
jbeech
Registered Users

The HD autohub is probably smart, especially if you're an aggressive pilot, otherwise it's probably not necessary. The steel pinion probably isn't needed either. Frankly, it all depends on how you fly. If you've broken these parts already, then buy the HD upgrades, otherwise leave well enough alone.

As for how well it works in the heat, we've flown this really hard in AZ (in August where it was over 105), and as you noted, we routinely fly in FL where it's humid as heck and well over 95 degrees. Basically, just keep the mixture nice and fat because there's 'plenty' of power and that's all that's needed to promote cooling. Your engine will thank you too. Anyway, as a rough metric, if the tank lasts much more than 6 minutes it's probably too lean. Much less than 5:30 and the engine may be too rich. This isn't rocket science.

Me? My timer is set to 5:30 and if I've not kept a watch on the fuel in the tank - dead nuts easy anyway because it's mounted in back and obvious, then I fly by and look. Usually I empty the main tank and shoot an auto. Depending on how low the 2oz header is, I may shoot another, e.g. taking the risk of running the tank dry. That said, this is how I usually end flights anyway because shooting autos is fun - especially with a Quattro head. So the idea is to not dilly-dally about coming in for landing unless I want to shoot an auto with the risk that it's for real.

Anyway, an experienced ear is why I recommend a pilot have a season or two under his belt with a 50-55 class engine before going for a big block engine. If you've got a tin-ear, don't buy this. Otherwise, if you've been flying a few years, or have flown a T-Rex or something else with a nitro engine then you already know how to adjust a needle valve and thus, you're fine starting off with an NitroExpress. It's almost like Goldilocks, e.g. knowing the difference between too rich, too lean, and just right is all it takes for success. As long as you've tuned engines and know the difference in sound (and smoke) between rich and lean, it's just not that critically different (other than a huge increase in horsepower).

To recap: it's basically a nice handling P6 like always - but with enough torque and power to affect the earth's rotation. Yes, there's a slight weight increase (but not as much as the difference between a full and an empty fuel tank), which means you'll readily adapt. In fact, it might feel exactly the same because added weight is accounted for in disk loading by going to longer 620mm blades (more area). Or a Quattro head with four 600mm blades instead.
IRCHA #745
www.audacitymodels.com
407-302-3361

Last edited by jbeech; 06-06-2016 at 12:53 PM..
Old 07-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
brw0513
Registered Users

Looks like OS got the idea!

https://www.rcjapan.net/o-s-engine-o...deqc7t1ibt0ar6
brw0513 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
Yooper42
Registered Users

My HF Map location

See what JB has to say on this. I agree looks like the ticket for a BBC...converts to about $400 USD. Ill be keeping an eye on this one..
Old 07-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
jbeech
Registered Users

Will still need the BBC components sans one piece. Since most will have a regular 91 or 105, e.g. one that doesn't have the 1/4" crank, I don't envision any real change as far as we're concerned because the market is too small for me to offer a specialized conversion kit, e.g. with just the hub removed. After all, it's not like I'm growing rich off these things. However, it will be interesting to learn if Hobbico brings this variant over to the USA because once thing is certain, a 600 with a really big engine is a hoot to fly! And FWIW, I recently got myself a new 105 just because I want another NitroExpress. They really are a lot of fun.
IRCHA #745
www.audacitymodels.com
407-302-3361
Old 07-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
Yooper42
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Please touch on your experience shoving a 105 in, vs a .91??
Old 07-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
jbeech
Registered Users

Right now my experience is it's the same size so the conversion should proceed the same. As for the difference in power, I don't really expect a humongous difference.

Look, I got it just because it at the time I was weak. After all, it could be reasonably argued I need another model helicopter like I need a hole in my head. Thing is, like you it's a hobby for me too. It's definitely not just a business. Moreover, I don't believe my tombstone should say, 'He died believing he had enough models', is this what you want written on yours? My bet is it's not what you want, either!

Bottom line? A good friend and neighbor passed recently. He worked hard for Lockheed Martin until the day he retired. Sadly, 1 year later he learned he had cancer and three months later, he was planted. This had a profound effect on me. I'm only 58, Leonard was 5 years older than me. What I learned from this brought a change in my attitude toward life because now I believe in . . . live a little, let go, and have fun because who knows what tomorrow brings? The other thing I don't want on my gravestone is, 'He worked all the time because he was indispensable' Frankly, nobody is.
IRCHA #745
www.audacitymodels.com
407-302-3361
Old 08-14-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
Yooper42
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey John, did you ever get your os105 powered pantera airborne???
Old 08-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #11
jbeech
Registered Users

Nah, been busy with important stuff, like my second grandchild. Matthew Christopher Head, 7lb 7oz (about as much as a Pantera, come to think of it) was born two weeks ago Friday. Lynn's been there since the day before that and I only flew up Thursday (Virginia Beach via Richmond) in hopes I could manage to wrest my wife away and bring her home. Frankly, it was touch and go for a while but I ultimately succeeded. We arrived home safely today. Anyway, I have been busy with summer with another project, a sweet old Monarch lathe I got from a new friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Naptime-with-Papi2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	666569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monarch-before-filling-FRONT.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	666570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Monarch getting primed.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	666571  
IRCHA #745
www.audacitymodels.com
407-302-3361
Old 08-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #12
Yooper42
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Congrats on the new grandson!!
Old 08-15-2016, 06:39 AM   #13
jbeech
Registered Users

Yes, and as Lynn observes, he's got a flybarless Head (wordplay on my son-in-law's last name).
IRCHA #745
www.audacitymodels.com
407-302-3361
Old 08-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #14
tkheard
Registered Users

Well,John, you and the baby seem quite satisfied!
AMA #953743
tkheard is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:06 AM   #15
jbeech
Registered Users

Yeah, we do, don't we? As background, I had just arrived from the airport, Niki had just given him the titty, and I was bushed so we fell asleep in perfect synchronicity. Matty in a milk stupor and me, well I was just plain beat.

You see, I'd taken a 7AM flight out of town and while I'd planned to get up at 4:30AM (to allow me enough time to catch the flight because I'm just 5 minutes from the airport), things hadn't quite worked out. This because while I'd gone to bed plenty early enough to allow a full night's sleep (around 10:30PM) I'd woken in a panic at 12:30AM (fretting about oversleeping and missing the flight). Fortunately, I looked at the clock and instantly fell back asleep only to wake again at 2:30AM - same thing, fretting. This time, however, after tossing and turning a while (and without a hope of going back to sleep again), I'd thrown in the towel and gotten out of bed at 3:15AM. Thus, I was running on fumes by the time I arrived.

Especially after a couple hours on I-64 east out of Richmond to Virginia Beach, which is as miserable a piece of driving as I've experienced in recent memory! This, due to construction, an utter lack of shoulders on the road meaning more concentration that usual being required, coupled with a really crappy road surface, way too much traffic for the road resulting in a lot of congestion, plus an underwater tunnel at the end (with the attendant slow going) all adding to the stress. Understandably, I was overdue for a nap and with a warm little bundle of joy in the crook of my arm it was lights out at the first opportunity.

But if you want to see real happiness, eyeball Lynn with Caleb and Matty. And note, this was taken on Tuesday - in the hospital - where Lynn had been with Niki non-stop since early Friday morning! Folks, believe it or not, Lynn had been sleeping in the recliner in Niki's hospital room - not once leaving to shower, rest, or otherwise freshen up! Frankly, there's a word for that kind of dedication - motherhood. Folks, believe me when I repeat the old saw how if men gave birth instead of women . . . the human race would have died out long ago!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lynn-and-the-boys1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	666952  
IRCHA #745
www.audacitymodels.com
407-302-3361
Old 08-21-2016, 06:15 AM   #16
flyingquisinart
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm a little slow to the party, but congrats John on the beautiful grandbaby!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Old 08-21-2016, 06:16 AM   #17
flyingquisinart
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I kinda changed my mind about the 90 engine but I have a good condition OS 91 HZ-R with Curtis Youngblood MP6-90 pipe sitting in a box if anyone is interested, PM me.

Matt

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Audacity

Audacity Audacity Pantera Helicopters Support