START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Low Head Speed Helicopters

Low Head Speed Helicopters Low Head Speed Helicopter Setups and Flying info

Old 11-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
Relisys190
Registered Users

Default Low Headspeed Goblin 660mm tail questions

Considering trying some low headspeed stuff on my Goblin with 660mm blades and a 4225-610kv. Currently running around 2100rpms gobs of fun.

Considering about 1500-1600rpms but I am curious about the tail.

Should I :
A: Get a triple tail system
OR
B: Change the tail pully to speed up the existing two blade tail.

I'm not worried about cost

Thanks,
-Markus
* G660c IKON * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
im4711
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Very easy to find out -> bring rpm down and test the tail authority.

Normally I would only make major changes if I plan to use the machine dedicated only for low rpm. I normally do not do that and rather prefer a larger rpm range. So if you use a 3 bladed tail it could become pretty noisy.

I simply suggest - give it a try. Worse thing that can happen is that the tail blows out when adding a bit more aggressive collective pitch. In case you go into low rpm its like running a pirouette and you should be able to manage that.

For my extreme low rpm I time by time experience it and simply adjust my flying style at that rpm to it. It allows me to switch from a 1800 rpm all the way to 900 rpm and back. Its kind of cool when people think you lost complete power
Old 11-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
Dennis P
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The torque on the tail is much lower at lower head speeds , where you will run into problems is if you get to ham fisted, faster traveling piro maneuvers or piro manuvers with stronger winds. Just try being smooth and graceful and you will be amazed how the tail will work and what it can do. Nice big smooth funnels at 1100 rpm are cool.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #4
Relisys190
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well, I can say that at 1600 the tail held very well.

Rail 105's and MS Rapid 660mm's It was really cool and graceful I'll have to play around with it a bit more and just try and slow everything maneuver down a bit
* G660c IKON * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
im4711
Registered Users

My HF Map location

sounds great - let me know if you ever make it down to the Cape Coral Area - we have a cool field and would be cool to do some flying together. Also hoping for the OHB Spring event to take place again this year. That might be even easier
Old 02-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
amphibia
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relisys190 View Post
Considering trying some low headspeed stuff on my Goblin with 660mm blades and a 4225-610kv. Currently running around 2100rpms gobs of fun.

Considering about 1500-1600rpms but I am curious about the tail.

Should I :
A: Get a triple tail system
OR
B: Change the tail pully to speed up the existing two blade tail.

I'm not worried about cost

Thanks,
-Markus
I can tell you the answer right now. Do them all. For my 250-800 range running low rpm, they all need all the help on tail.

For oxy3 at 2000rpm, it needs 3 tail blades with 14T speedup pulley and 60mm 450size tail blades

For forza450 at 1800rpm running 380mm main blades and a stretch tail, 2 blades of 68mm are just not enough.

For E6-550 at 1500rpm, 2 blades of 105mm are just barely enough.

For forza700/E12 both stretched to 800mm and stretched boom at 1100rpm, 3 blades of 115mm are just barely enough. I think 135mm are more appropriate.

How do you tell there is not enough tail authority? Use vbar/ubrain DEFAULT settings, do a vertical climb out. If the tail blow out to the left, then you don't have enough tail authority. There are quick-fixes - changing the parameters in vbar/ubrain, such as acceleration and collective pre-comp/DMA collective. If these cure the blow-out, that means you need
- longer tail blades
- more tail blades
- faster tail rotation
- longer boom

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Low Head Speed Helicopters

Low Head Speed Helicopters Low Head Speed Helicopter Setups and Flying info