Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 100 Class Electric Helicopters

100 Class Electric Helicopters 100 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #21
chipnseal
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Original Poster here... after much fun research (mostly forum reads and suggestions here) I pulled the trigger on a 230s RTF from Horizon Hobby. Will probably get a new/used TX at some point and use the 230s TX as a backup/trainer.

Flying the bejeezus out of the little k110. No inverted but getting much better with orientations and being able to recover without panicking and crashing. Trying to train the same way on the sim - treat a flight as the real deal and not just crash and start over.

Shout out for HH - had a guy helping on the chat line - suggested parts, etc, for the 230s. I had a $25 off coupon and the helper offered up another 10% and free shipping.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited to get the bigger heli. Now I've been following some of the threads on setup for the 230s. So much useful info!

Chip
chipnseal is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #22
yakky
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipnseal View Post
Original Poster here... after much fun research (mostly forum reads and suggestions here) I pulled the trigger on a 230s RTF from Horizon Hobby. Will probably get a new/used TX at some point and use the 230s TX as a backup/trainer.

Flying the bejeezus out of the little k110. No inverted but getting much better with orientations and being able to recover without panicking and crashing. Trying to train the same way on the sim - treat a flight as the real deal and not just crash and start over.

Shout out for HH - had a guy helping on the chat line - suggested parts, etc, for the 230s. I had a $25 off coupon and the helper offered up another 10% and free shipping.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited to get the bigger heli. Now I've been following some of the threads on setup for the 230s. So much useful info!

Chip
Awesome, you'll love the 230.
yakky is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #23
corywrx
Registered Users

I had a blast with mine! I think you will too

RCHN Listener Chat (Discord) - https://discord.gg/6SvCccC
corywrx is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:38 PM   #24
mattbeau
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipnseal View Post

Chip
Congrats. The 230 is great little heli and you can work with it for a long time learning those orientations. I have one and still fly it occasionally

If i can offer just a little more advise.
Don't go on a spending spree trying different helis for a bit. Get to know your heli. you might get to a point that you will want more power, agility, presence, features etc. This will only slow your progress. If you can be patient fly the 230 to its capabilities and then move up. Youll progress alotnfaster. Constantly changing helis with different characteristics will require you to constantly adjust. I'm just telling you from experience.

I went from a T-Rex 450 to Gaui X3 to oxy 3 to mini Protos to Protos 500 to Protos 380 to where I'm finally at with the goblin 380. It cost me a fortune and I really haven't gained a whole lot in the last year. Since sticking with goblin I've really noticed I get a knack to flying it.

Good luck and look forward to seeing you in the 230 forum.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
mattbeau is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:28 PM   #25
Spazztl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbeau View Post
Congrats. The 230 is great little heli and you can work with it for a long time learning those orientations. I have one and still fly it occasionally

If i can offer just a little more advise.
Don't go on a spending spree trying different helis for a bit. Get to know your heli. you might get to a point that you will want more power, agility, presence, features etc. This will only slow your progress. If you can be patient fly the 230 to its capabilities and then move up. Youll progress alotnfaster. Constantly changing helis with different characteristics will require you to constantly adjust. I'm just telling you from experience.

I went from a T-Rex 450 to Gaui X3 to oxy 3 to mini Protos to Protos 500 to Protos 380 to where I'm finally at with the goblin 380. It cost me a fortune and I really haven't gained a whole lot in the last year. Since sticking with goblin I've really noticed I get a knack to flying it.

Good luck and look forward to seeing you in the 230 forum.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
+1000
Can only agree with you .
Gratz on getting the 230s . It's a great advance int this addictive hobby, your going to love it
Old 01-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #26
HateTheDrake
Registered Users

dang, I haven't even started with my k110 and while the 230s was on my 'future list', all this talk has me jonesing for one...
HateTheDrake is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #27
BrokeDad
Registered Users

The advice to pick something and stick with it is a good one. I spent my first year buying way too many different helis (18). It made things harder to learn. Now many of them sit while I fly mostly my favorites.

I hadn't flown the K110 in so long I just went and hovered it around the kitchen. It's raining outside right now.
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #28
Wargamer
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateTheDrake View Post
dang, I haven't even started with my k110 and while the 230s was on my 'future list', all this talk has me jonesing for one...
There is no reason you can't fly both. A good strategy for any new skill is sim --> k110 --> 230s. (Since the k110 is more or less indestructible, and the 230 isn't.) As Broke said, 18 is probably a few too many but I think flying 2-3 can provide a nice balance between consistent practice and feeling how different helis fly.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #29
HateTheDrake
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer View Post
There is no reason you can't fly both. A good strategy for any new skill is sim --> k110 --> 230s. (Since the k110 is more or less indestructible, and the 230 isn't.) As Broke said, 18 is probably a few too many but I think flying 2-3 can provide a nice balance between consistent practice and feeling how different helis fly.
now I'll drink to that!

My wallet might have other feelings on the subject.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #30
mic209
Registered Users

Is your k110 for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mic209 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:00 AM   #31
Thickfog
Registered Users

Blade is releasing a new 130s. 2s battery. Full brushless main and tail and looks like a mini 230s. Full SAFE with 3g and 6g. Not cheap at $250 rtf for a small guy.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #32
Spazztl
Registered Users

https://www.live-hobby.de/en/Helicop...E-BLH9350.html
It's sold out at the moment here in Germany ^^
Old 01-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #33
BladeScraperz
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickfog View Post
Blade is releasing a new 130s. 2s battery. Full brushless main and tail and looks like a mini 230s. Full SAFE with 3g and 6g. Not cheap at $250 rtf for a small guy.
Ridiculous. Can get a devil 380, motor and esc for 205 on ebay. 60 for a k110 is priced about right imho
BladeScraperz is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #34
HateTheDrake
Registered Users

Just curious why the 130s vs 230s as the next leap forward. It's only about 2" longer than the k110 (vs 230's 8") so not as much separation as from the 230s. The trex 150x seems to also be around that size with possibly more punch. (?)
Old 01-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #35
JPCOPter
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateTheDrake View Post
Same

I'm already browsing the forum sales threads, a lot of good deals in there.
I'll probably just go to the 450 size i have the room to fly outside and being able to see it better is a nice concept
JPCOPter is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #36
chipnseal
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Fun stuff!

OP here-

Quick update- HH delivered the 230s. I went through the manual (ok-maybe just the first couple of pages) and then tried her out. HUGE thanks to all the great threads on this forum!

I was very careful. I noted immediately how the heli wanted to go forward and right on spool up. I compensated by giving a little left cyclic. Up she goes! Nice rock steady hover!

I have been flying the little K110 in the basement and outside . Indoors mostly. Using Heli-X sim too. Gotta tell you- the 230s is waay scary indoors. Wife says "that is terrifying!" I'm just basically hovering 2-5 feet off the floor. Usable space is 15' x 15'. I know I'm asking for trouble if I do more so all my practice with orientation is with the K110. BTW- one tough little bird for sure. I like the side by side pics of the 2 helis.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with my purchase. Will probably upgrade to another radio and use the DXe as a trainer at some point.

Pics show my basement with move in clutter (new house) and the makings of a man cave area.

Chip

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170104_130120976.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	688707

Name:	IMG_20170105_202318057.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	688708

Name:	IMG_20170105_202500014.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	688709
chipnseal is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #37
ridge-runner
Registered Users

Default Take a look at FrSky!

Next? - a good quality computer Tx that will grow with you (8 channels minimum).

If you are technically inclined (computer/software-wise), and tend to be a "power-user", I would wholeheartedly recommend a FrSky Taranis X9DP Tx fitted with a 4-in-1 plug-in RF module. This will be the last radio you will need for the foreseeable future. With 4 different RF boards built into the 4-in1 module, it will fly virtually any micro on the market (including your K110 and 230S). The Taranis native FrSky ACCST protocol, with its proven rock-solid reliable RF link (with telemetry), will be what you'll want to use for the larger more expensive birds you'll be getting down the road.

A 16-channel Taranis Plus X9DP costs only $200 new (the JR compatible 4-in-1 multi-module is around $50). Its feature set simply blows away all the competition. The FrSky receivers and sensors are unbelievably inexpensive so you can cheaply fit numerous birds with a "full house" setup - i.e. Telemetry for headspeed, motor temp, ESC temp, cell voltages for every Lipo in the system as well as mAh consumption, GPS position, variometer, etc.

But, once again, this Tx is recommended/advisable only if you are somewhat technically inclined and willing to spend some time learning the "OpenTx way" - which has a more complex (but very logical) user interface. If OpenTx has any flaw - its that it is too powerful! (There are typically many ways to accomplish the same goals.) If you don't need any of the fancy features and prefer a simple menu driven UI, then a used Spektrum DX8/DX9 will work for your 230s - but you'll be future limited/locked-in to HH DSM2/DSMX products.

Either way, a good quality computer Tx with at least 8 channels should be seriously considered as a next step.

Welcome to the heli-addition!
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 100 Class Electric Helicopters

100 Class Electric Helicopters 100 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.