Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile Flymentor

Ok. I will try the neutral sliders and see what happens.
EXI 450 Pro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

The dx6i set up helped me alot because I now know that what was shown will work with Flymentor . I am a noob but I have heard that a 7 channel is really best for Flymentor but I do not plan on 3-d so i'm not worried about it and i dont know what the 7th channel would do anyway. The set up shown looks to have electronics cheap enough for someone serious that is a little less than noob..Flymentor has got to beat the idle up switch because the heli does not have to be upside down to fly while it's on the ground..
427notch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey 427notch,
It might be better to have a 7 channel TX, that way you can have the Blue & green wire plugged in and control the gyro and stabilization gains via TX.
Its not so important to change the gain of the gyro (green wire) once you have it setup..set it (with software of programmer.. adjust with test hovers) and leave it...no real need to have green wire plugged in.

You do want the blue wire connected so you can switch between modes...therefore 6 channel is enough.

Dx6i just seem to be very popular as they come with RTF helis like the Blade 400 which is how I got mine...and I guess there fairly cheap, but still very good (some might disagree). The whole setup is as cheap as it can possibly get, but still be reliable.
IvanB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 03:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Right now I want what you have set up so I know it works so if I can copy a simple set up that will work
The last powered r/c that l have that flown if you want to call it that had a 2 strings and a .049 cox and that was over 25 years ago.
If I need to forget the dx6i and go for the dx7i just say so because the cx-ct6a I have now sucks so I need to upgrade anyway just use Flymentor.
I bought mt CopterX 450se v2 in 2008 and have spent $xxxxxxx to try to get it off the ground. and have failed. I have $xxxxxx spent on flymentor and xxxx spent just on servos. Now if there is a rtf heli to swap flymentor on to and use CopterX for parts plz let me know..
427notch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think you'll be fine with a DX6i...Dx7 could be handy but not necessary. You definitely have to make sure your heli is setup correctly ( ready to fly ) before installing FM.

Getting a RTF heli with dx6i or dx7 would be perfect, cos the heli's ready to go...not sure which one though...I have a Blade 400.

You can buy a heli already setup with flymentor....KDS 450v2 ready to go with TX. It might be more fun to set your own up.
IvanB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default blue/grenn wire confusion

Just got the Flymentor my manual shows the Blue Wire as Heading Hold. The video is different. Having trouble getting the tail to stop wagging and not having tail control in hover.
blade newbe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

The green wire controls tail gain, the blue wire controls stabilization gain.You must have an old copy on the manuel.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys
If anyone is out there I could do with a little help. I have installed a flymentor 3d on a HK450 stabilisation is great but I am unable to lock down the tail. TX DX6I RX Orange.
I have tried all settings from 0 - 80 all that happens is the wag changes speed. The only position with out a wag is with the slider set to 100 normal, no HH. The bird flew great using a 401 B gyro before the change. Any ideas?

Hi Guys
I tried fitting gel tape under the gyro no difference, so I stripped and rebuild the tail. The problem now seems to be solved all I found was the tail slider was a little sticky around 1/3 mark not enough to stop movement but just enough to cause a problem.

Last edited by ridgeback32; 04-27-2012 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: Problem overcome
ridgeback32 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

dissable the FM rudder gyro and reinstall the 401 B gyro use both.......sometimes the FM gyro dont work well...try my install videos/ i run a gp750 and the fm in tandem https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=338694
cruzroy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default strange behavior

I may have missed something but I have gone through the setup (nice instructional vid by the way) three times now.

1.) No movement from swashplate when tilting heli by hand
2.) tail rotor moves full one direction (with stick) but does not go past "zero" in the other.
It also slowly returns to full by itself.

Everything reacts properly using the sticks....strange.
lumpy2080 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy2080 View Post
I may have missed something but I have gone through the setup (nice instructional vid by the way) three times now.

1.) No movement from swashplate when tilting heli by hand
2.) tail rotor moves full one direction (with stick) but does not go past "zero" in the other.
It also slowly returns to full by itself.

Everything reacts properly using the sticks....strange.
1. Is FM displaying a flashing green. Is the balancer gain set to 70% in Helibal.
2. Have you set the tail up mechanically and then in Normal mode as opposed to HH mode. It is normal for Piezzo gyros to creep while on the bench.

Hope this helps.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default update

Zeroed everything out to original settings....Swashplate movement now but minimal.
The tail rotor still acting "strangely".

As mentioned...when i move the stick max to right it operates as expected.
When I move it to left it does not go past center. If I move it to left and it centers...and I let go of the stick...it slowly moves to full right even with stick centered.
I must be missing something simple, but as I'm sure you've guessed...I'm the latest n00b to the forum.

I appreciate any assistance on this...trying very hard not to get too frustrated lol.
I have hovered this Blade 450 3D a few times...even landed it once or twice.
Really enjoying getting to know the assembly process! hehehe
Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default strange behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
1. Is FM displaying a flashing green. Is the balancer gain set to 70% in Helibal.
2. Have you set the tail up mechanically and then in Normal mode as opposed to HH mode. It is normal for Piezzo gyros to creep while on the bench.

Hope this helps.
Rapid green flashin when (flap) switch set to "0" on my dx6i / solid red when
Solid red & green when (gyro) switch set to "1"
Balancer set to 70% - check
set up mechanically? Normal mode?
Yep, I'm a n00b - sorry I hope I don't frustrate you...the only part of that I "know" is HH.

I fiddled with a few things...one at a time and checked results each time.
I ended up with:
1.) tail servo reversed
2.) yaw rate 8
3.) servo travel 125 (way too much in proper settings I'm sure)

This has given me "some" travel past zero and of course added more to "right" stick.
I'll do some research on "normal & mechanical"
FYI - I have not physically manipulated the tail in any way.

I do appreciate the assist!

-Lumpy
Old 04-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

At this stage need more info. What heli, tx, rx, cyclic servos and tail servo.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should first set up FM with the blue and green wires disconnected and use the programme so you are shure incorrect TX settings are not causeing problems.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by pril250 View Post
At this stage need more info. What heli, tx, rx, cyclic servos and tail servo.

e-flight blade 450 3d, spectrum dx6i, AR6115E, EFLRDS76 - cyclic servos, EFLRDS76T - TAIL SERVO

Everything looks right except for the action of the tail rotor. Flymentor seems to operate it fine...it reacts correctly when I move the heli around by hand. I removed the blue wire and checked the software settings...saved to heli then reconnected the blue wire. I just took it outside and after some blade leveling it spins up fine. I nudged the tail to the right and it just about did a full 360....luckily the control links popped off instead of breaking anything.

I'm beginning to think I should have left things well enough alone. Flymentor $$ could have gone towards spare parts.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

thats why i run mine with a gp750 external gyro......i never had luck with the FM gyro........but i know others had and suceeded, but i went external..
cruzroy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy2080 View Post
e-flight blade 450 3d, spectrum dx6i, AR6115E, EFLRDS76 - cyclic servos, EFLRDS76T - TAIL SERVO

Everything looks right except for the action of the tail rotor. Flymentor seems to operate it fine...it reacts correctly when I move the heli around by hand. I removed the blue wire and checked the software settings...saved to heli then reconnected the blue wire. I just took it outside and after some blade leveling it spins up fine. I nudged the tail to the right and it just about did a full 360....luckily the control links popped off instead of breaking anything.

I'm beginning to think I should have left things well enough alone. Flymentor $$ could have gone towards spare parts.
Why did the link pop off ?. It should not pop off regarless of how fast the heli turned you need to fix that.
Are you sure that the link coming off didn't cause the problem ?.
Look at the tail does the slider move a little when you move the stick a little ?, does it look like you have control over it ?.
Is the stick moving it the right way ?. Is the gyro moving it the right way.
Is the stick to sensitive, do you have expo dailed in the wrong way ?. That would make the tail fast.
Have you increased travel adjust on the TX rudder channel ? that will also increase rudder speed.
As I keep saying the first flight with FM should be done with the blue and green wires disconnected useing Helibal settings unless you are 100% shure you know what your doing with settings on the TX.
But as Cruz said if you cant get it to work use a seperate tail gyro.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor Hill View Post
Why did the link pop off ?. It should not pop off regarless of how fast the heli turned you need to fix that.
Are you sure that the link coming off didn't cause the problem ?.
Look at the tail does the slider move a little when you move the stick a little ?, does it look like you have control over it ?.
Is the stick moving it the right way ?. Is the gyro moving it the right way.
Is the stick to sensitive, do you have expo dailed in the wrong way ?. That would make the tail fast.
Have you increased travel adjust on the TX rudder channel ? that will also increase rudder speed.
As I keep saying the first flight with FM should be done with the blue and green wires disconnected useing Helibal settings unless you are 100% shure you know what your doing with settings on the TX.
But as Cruz said if you cant get it to work use a seperate tail gyro.

I ended up using a separate gyro for the tail and it is working fine...not sure why the FM gyro wouldn't work but things look good. The links popped off when it did the uncontrolled 360 on me...the tail hit the ground and things came apart a bit.
I apologize for the late update but I had both feet operated on again and I've been out of the house for a bit. Thanks to all of you that offered help on this. I really appreciate it!!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

the more I read about this system the more I want to try it on my TRex-600 for AP work...
brushless55 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in