Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography

Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do u do it?

I have read through lots of posts, but maybe my questions are too silly that nobody dared to ask.
I am interested in knowing what methods do u use to
1. zoom in and out
2. depress shutter release
3. Keep the camera horizontal
4. know if you will get the target on the photo.

Is a 7 channel transmitter enough?

Please advise
rudiedj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Rudie,

1. Normally one would stay fully zoomed out when taking aerial photos. To 'zoom in', one just needs to fly slightly closer to the target.

2. This can be done in a number of ways. The simplest is just to position a servo above the shutter button; some people hack into their cameras and connect a device like the PicoSwitch which has the same effect as the servo, but it's done electronically; some cameras are compatible with USB devices like the URBI from Blip; and finally some camera have an Infrared port on the front, and this can be triggered by a device like the Gentled or the PRISM.

3. Usually done by gravity, ie. the mount is free hanging and naturally sits with the camera horizontally.

4. This is done with a video downlink, such as those available from Range Video and BlackWidowAV. This plugs into the video out port on the digital camera and transmits a live video image to a screen on the ground, allowing you to see in real-time what the camera is seeing.

I use a 9 channel transmitter and have one spare channel:

1 - Roll (left / right)
2 - Pitch (forward / back)
3 - Throttle (motor faster / slower)
4 - Yaw (point nose left / right)
5 - Gain of Spartan R/C AP2000i InfraRed stabiliser (not essential but a very handy device)
6 - Rotor pitch (up / down)
7 - Camera tilt (up / down)
8 - Camera shutter (press shutter button)

Hope this helps!

David
Hogster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanx it helps a lot.

One question though. On my digital camera, I have to depress the shutter release halfway to focus, then fully to take picture. how does this affect the shutter release method u described?
rudiedj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my experience, pushing the button down all the way without stopping to focus is no problem. You might find on yours that it won't take the photo until it's focussed anyway (that's how it works on mine) ... the time delay is so small it's practically instant ....

David
Hogster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can also set the focus to infinity on a lot of camera's. If the focus is set to infinity the camera bypasses the focussing portion of the shot. For decent AP work you want a camera in which you can manually set the Shutter speed, focus and aperture settings.

FlingWing
FlingWing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Manual focus is not a requirement. As Hogster says, the camera will auto-focus anyway.
13m Spiderbeam mast, Askman mount, A640, all above with 2.4Ghz downlink
Tonystott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

What camera are you using? With my XTI I use a gentled to focus with the throttle control on the radio which controls my mount. Half throttle it focus's, full throttle it takes the picture. Simple as it gets

Last edited by okiefarmr; 01-17-2008 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: revise
okiefarmr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiefarmr View Post
What camera are you using? With my XTI I use a gentled to focus with the throttle control on the radio which controls my mount. Half throttle it focus's, full throttle it takes the picture. Simple as it gets
Thats how mine is set up too. But I may go back to my jomar opto isolated e-switch because I dont like the way the gentled just takes a bunch of shots. With the e-switch, I can just take one shot, or set the camera to AI servo focus, and just let it shoot continuously. The only thing I like about the gentled is that its very light, and plug and play
bullaculla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My comment about not needing the half-press manual focus feature was aimed at point and shoot cameras; I have no experience with DSLRs, so assume they don't have auto-focus.

But I repeat, any cameras with auto-focus and the half-press manual focus feature only have it to enable the photographer to set focus on an object which is not obviously the subject. eg a person standing to the side of a scenery shot - the auto focus might make the person out of focus unless you half-press the trigger and set focus on the person, then swing the camera back til the person is off to the side.

This is not relevant to AP shooting.. One trap with auto-focus is if you set the camera in continuous mode, it will not refocus between shots. This can be a problem if the first shots were while the aircraft was on the ground, as the camera might have focused itself a few feet ahead, so the airborne shots will be crap. Don't ask me how I know this!
13m Spiderbeam mast, Askman mount, A640, all above with 2.4Ghz downlink
Tonystott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Be careful, sometimes autofocus will focus on the tail rotor!

Guess I should learn to shoot nose in!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	focus.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	36026  
furyphoto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ha ha! that photo is great!
i have one just like it...
bullaculla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here what I do.

I am using a point and shoot camera one with many manual setting like SRL, but only has auto focus.
The shutter is actuated by micro servo witch gives me the option to focus with half selection of shutter. This is focus hold selection gives a faster capture speeds once the picture is framed. I have also added a servo to the zoom. It is not use much but it give the camera operator one more selection to get the shot right. The heli uses 11 channels total 5 on camera operation; pan, tilt, pan gyro on/off, shutter and zoom. My system allows for self levelling in roll and pitch with a universal joint installed on the gimbal. My video feed come off AV out put on the camera to the down link. After I take a picture the camera video present the framed shot for second or two allowing you quick preview.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02503.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	36245   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02504.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	36246   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02502.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	36247   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02549.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	36248  
Old 01-23-2008, 11:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default Tail Rotor

Looks Good.. I like that shot!!!!!
Aerial RC Photog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in