Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default One idea to upgrade!

I have an idea upgrade boom mount look better and more durable. It takes me about 30hrs to complete Cad drawings as below.

It's heavier than stock about 12.3g. Looking forward your ideas!!!

My friend have a 4 axis cnc machine, so I think he can help me to make some sample. I hope it works well. And i will take and post real photos after he had time to do it
RKH-DSN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow - Design looks very slick. I can't imagine how much work it must be to design something like this. Very, very cool. Keep us posted on how it turns out!
SpeedDemon46 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If that lets you change the front gear without having to remove the entire thing from the heli then I think just about everyone would want one.

I wonder how long now before 'someone' posts that he 'just found' a picture of that exact thing on aligns web site as being released in 1-2 weeks.

Dogs come when called. Cats take a message and get back to you later.
Cailid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailid View Post
If that lets you change the front gear without having to remove the entire thing from the heli then I think just about everyone would want one.

I wonder how long now before 'someone' posts that he 'just found' a picture of that exact thing on aligns web site as being released in 1-2 weeks.
Yeah! Your idea is very good! I have not though up to this point when designing...humm..I thinks it also is not easy
Old 06-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nice Design
rmaxson29 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 01:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailid View Post
I think this not be possible. Because removing front gear upward will be prevented by Main Gear. Removing front gear downward will be prevented by horizontal bevel gear, And removing front gear sideward will be prevented by side frames.

Replace the front gear by removing the boom mount as present is not too difficult. I think this was the easiest way.
helicopter-nguyen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 02:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fear the Spork!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter-nguyen View Post
I think this not be possible. Because removing front gear upward will be prevented by Main Gear. Removing front gear downward will be prevented by horizontal bevel gear, And removing front gear sideward will be prevented by side frames.

Replace the front gear by removing the boom mount as present is not too difficult. I think this was the easiest way.
You mean this IS the only way. easy it is not . Removing the gears is easy, putting a new one in is tough as hell. took alot of strength to push the new torque gear into the bearings. I had to use a little sandpaper, grease and alot of muscle.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKH-DSN View Post
I have an idea upgrade boom mount look better and more durable. It takes me about 30hrs to complete Cad drawings as below.

It's heavier than stock about 12.3g. Looking forward your ideas!!!

My friend have a 4 axis cnc machine, so I think he can help me to make some sample. I hope it works well. And i will take and post real photos after he had time to do it
Today,My Trex550E crashed , Boom mount has been cracked . I think you should make your boom mount by Aluminum 6061

Last edited by Jimmy_Heli; 06-19-2010 at 10:37 AM..
Jimmy_Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Good idea
Jimmy_Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbflyer101 View Post
You mean this IS the only way. easy it is not . Removing the gears is easy, putting a new one in is tough as hell. took alot of strength to push the new torque gear into the bearings. I had to use a little sandpaper, grease and alot of muscle.
By principle of Align, bevel gear must be tight with bearing. If not it will be pushed forward by Torque shaft and make gear mess worse. So you have to use special tool to assembly or remove bevel gear.

To fix this, I think we have to use another principle (ex: Kasama's principle...)=> we have to change a lot of Align part. And our Upgrade are very expensive!
helicopter-nguyen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Heli View Post
Today,My Trex550E crashed , Boom mount has been cracked . I think your boom mount should make by Aluminum 6061
Yes, I designed it made of aluminum 6061.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

wow, that would be nice. i'd be interested to see a price on something like that.

it'd be a work of art.

i wish all of the finish on the 550 aluminum was polished silver. not a big fan of anodizing any color other than polished to a shine silver.

on the boom mount, it would be nice to use thru bolts and nuts as opposed to tapped threads that could strip in the aluminum mount.

of course i'd probably go with it either way if it didn't break the bank.

i look forward to seeing what you come up with. bless you for even trying.
philipfrank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipfrank View Post
wow, that would be nice. i'd be interested to see a price on something like that.

it'd be a work of art.

i wish all of the finish on the 550 aluminum was polished silver. not a big fan of anodizing any color other than polished to a shine silver.

on the boom mount, it would be nice to use thru bolts and nuts as opposed to tapped threads that could strip in the aluminum mount.

of course i'd probably go with it either way if it didn't break the bank.

i look forward to seeing what you come up with. bless you for even trying.
Yeah, It has sophisticated design as Kasama's products. I don't know if it's as expensive as Kasama's one!?
Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

First offf great thinking. But I think the easiest fix would be to make the rear gears softer and the front harder in case of a crash. And you could put your hard work on making a new rear tail which makes it easy to switch tail gears. I just dont get it, all my trex helicopters always trip teeth from the hard to reach front gears when they could easliy design it so you just took 3 screws and swaped out rear TT gears. How long will it take align to rethink this idea? I never strip my rear umbrella gears!
Buzzard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, that idea works perfectly on the Velocity 50 and takes about 3 minutes to change a gearset

..no reason it wont work on an Align model.
sacko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Why not use 6061 on the front gears?
Jthief is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthief View Post
Why not use 6061 on the front gears?
Im sorry for being ignorant here but can you clue me in to what your talking about? Im tired of taking inner TT gears out. If you got a solution share man!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

metal gears
Jthief is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

hrm. Isnt there a reason they use a nylon like material? I think it has to dio with smoother gears or somthing. I was gonna sugest a harder plastic like they did on the old trex 450's several years ago.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

oh! They've released them! The price is high but look very cool!

http://www.rakonheli.com/rkh/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

Has anyone tried it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in