Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Any tips for somewhat of a beginner flying a Blade 450 x?

So I recently received this heli as a gift. Now I know this is not a beginner heli, but I couldn't just simply say no I don't want it. So here's my background. I've never really flown helis before. I'm an avid quadcopter flier, but even that I don't have too much experience with. I've flown a few of the larger ones from time to time, but all I own is a Latrax alias, which I've really became pretty good with, especially in the third "expert" mode, but helis are a lot different than quads. Now I've told myself I am not turning this thing on until I've done enough research about it. I still have yet to open the box. It's a blade 450x RTF. I will be taking a trip to my ranch within the next few days, which should give me a wide open place to kind of get things set up. Again I'm very much a beginner at this, so all information is needed. I'm really not looking to start out doing all these 3D tricks, I just want to make it as "tame" as possible for the initial flight, so any tips for me for when I do make the trip, I will have somewhat of an idea as to what I'm doing would be great. Thanks in advance.
Enraged is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraged View Post
So I recently received this heli as a gift. Now I know this is not a beginner heli, but I couldn't just simply say no I don't want it. So here's my background. I've never really flown helis before. I'm an avid quadcopter flier, but even that I don't have too much experience with. I've flown a few of the larger ones from time to time, but all I own is a Latrax alias, which I've really became pretty good with, especially in the third "expert" mode, but helis are a lot different than quads. Now I've told myself I am not turning this thing on until I've done enough research about it. I still have yet to open the box. It's a blade 450x RTF. I will be taking a trip to my ranch within the next few days, which should give me a wide open place to kind of get things set up. Again I'm very much a beginner at this, so all information is needed. I'm really not looking to start out doing all these 3D tricks, I just want to make it as "tame" as possible for the initial flight, so any tips for me for when I do make the trip, I will have somewhat of an idea as to what I'm doing would be great. Thanks in advance.
I've found this website particularly helpful when I was taking my first steps in flying: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/how-t...licopters.html

And you are doing the right thing researching first before even switching it on, CP helps can be a handful without the right training.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

One option for you is to get RF7.5 and a usb headset. As long as your connection speed is pretty good we can do a lot of flying and almost more importantly talking about getting into helis. This site has just about every bit of information you could ever want but it's gonna be a bit like feeding a baby with a steamshovel without someone to help you parse it.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

i went the quad route... it was fun and got me into orientation... which is a big deal with helis... next i got myself a sim and work on it all winter... came spring i was at least at ease with starting on my blade 300x... so take baby steps and you will succeed.
mgfiest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2015, 03:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraged View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiannakas View Post
I've found this website particularly helpful when I was taking my first steps in flying: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/how-t...licopters.html

And you are doing the right thing researching first before even switching it on, CP helps can be a handful without the right training.
We have an entire forum here dedicated to flying: RC Helicopter Flight School

Also have a look at: From tail-in to all 8s and funnels in 6 months

From: http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/how-t...licopters.html
Quote:
Over 50% of all single rotor collective pitch RC helicopters sold to and built by first time fliers end up crashing within the first minute (seconds usually) of their maiden flight
and a good number of those are pushed into a forgotten corner of the garage never to see the light of day again. I am not trying to scare you off, I just want you to understand how important it is to get proper instruction and if you don't have access to a good RC heli instructor...
Fortunately your wuad experience will help, but Helis look and feel different (like a quad which only has agility mode).

Spend time in the sim first before you fly it. The 450X is a great heli to fly, but can get away from you very quickly if not careful.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are flying the Latrax in the third mode (where it doesn't automatically return to level), you are on the right track. If the 450x is brand new, it ships with tame settings that should be good for your first flights.

Carefully (blades off) make SURE the radio is programmed correctly before flight. Check control directions and gyro correction directions (you'll have to research how to do this). Read the AR7200BX manual. Understanding the flight controller is important.

Find a smooth surface to take off from. You'll limit the chance of tipovers and damage if you are less likely to snag a landing gear on takeoff or landing.

BABY STEPS! Hover a flight tail-in. Don't do anything else. Get a simulator and have fun. There are a few free simulators and playable demos out there (Heli-x 0.9 is free, and the demo version is usable, as is the neXt simulator demo).
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2015, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The truth is that you do not know how to fly a helicopter. You likely do no know anything about setting up the transmitter or the helicopter.
Pitch and throttle curves. Exponential or Dual rates?

Chances are very high that you will crash before even getting the helicopter off the ground.

Go get yourself a flight simulator like Phoenix and spend the winter getting a feel for flying a helicopter. Then Nano or MCPX-BL until your comfortable actually flying a real helicopter.

Study Study Study. Youtube is your new best friend.

AR7200BX Parameter Menu Setup Guide With Governor Settings (16 min 18 sec)

Blade 450 X Setup Tutorial: Parameters Menu Adjustments (10 min 12 sec)
Imzzaudae is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzzaudae View Post
Go get yourself a flight simulator like Phoenix and spend the winter getting a feel for flying a helicopter. Then Nano or MCPX-BL until your comfortable actually flying a real helicopter.

+1

This is great advice. The money you spend on the sim and micro will easily be saved in crash costs vs starting in the 450X, even with some quad experience.

And of the two, I would recommend the nano. I know two people that started on the mcpx-bl, against my advice. Both went back and bought a nano, and loved it. Ironically, both also ran out and bought a 450 as their first heli without really talking to anyone or being informed. Needless to say, they did not find cp helis to be as easy as they assumed.

By asking questions here, you are on the right track. Patience is a real virtue in this hobby. Shelve that 450 till your ready. You may love it one day, but you'll probably hate it if you go in unprepared.
minatrix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm a learner on a 450 myself, so can only offer a few bits of advice from a learners perspective.

I started with a micro MCPX and then once I had my bearings stepped up to the 450. But many say you a 450 is probably one of the best size heli's to learn on if you are jumping straight into CP.

As you already have been flying multi-rotor, you should have some orientation skills in your favour and the basics of flight. Are you using the same sort of transmitter as you used on the multi ? eg Mode 1 or Mode 2 ? Because that will also make a big difference.

I second what everyone has said about the sim practice. It really helped me a lot, but having said that it's still an entirely different ball game when you get the real heli out on the grass for your first flight. I'm a lot better on the sim than I am with the real heli.....

Next the biggest learning curve for me (and still is!) is understanding helicopter and radio setup!!. This is not an option or something you can learn later. This is something you must get a grasp of up front. Even if you have a heli and transmitter set up for you, it will need to be tweaked for your personal style/ability and when (not if) you crash, you will need to first know how to rebuild/repair and then set up the swash, pitch, rudder etc all over again. As mentioned by others there are also plenty of other things to understand like throttle curves, pitch curves, dual rates, gyro gain and lots of other technical stuff.

The people here are very helpful but it's really good if you have someone local that can guide you through the early stages. Also the internet is full of information. That 'RChelicopterfun' website has some awesome 'E-books' that you can purchase for very little money. They have been an invaluable resource and ongoing reference for me.

All the best with it, you've certainly come to the right place. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience amoungst the very friendly and helpful people here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in