Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Why Flybarless ?

Ok this whole flybarless thing is cool and all but can sombody explain why I would want to spend all that money to remove the flybar ? The mechanics of the flybar work really well does it not ? Its a tradoff , simplifying the mechanics by increasing the complexity of the electronics . Does it fly differently than a flybar heli ? is it worth it ? whats the point ?
steve28 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2007, 02:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Less rotational mass... and very quick cyclic response

A couple of guys fly with this setup in our club and it's impressive to see them flying

Worth it ??? maybe to be correct on a scale model yes.. otherwise mechanical is good and less complicated... with less chance of failure
Mikee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 04:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Plus cool factor.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 07:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Plus cool factor.
Which you can "hardly" put a price on.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebianDog View Post
Which you can "hardly" put a price on.
Sure you can:
$750 for a V-bar or about $550 for a CSM

Go watch some videos of Daniel Jetschin or Matt Botos and you'll see what Pinecone is talking about.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I believe with the flybarless setups you can tailor the response rate from mild to wild right from the radio. Is this correct?

Big Fil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not exactly; you can tailor the cyclic pitch and roll rate via a laptop or bluetooth on the v-bar setup (bluetooth being an optional accessory)

Essentially the flybarles setup means having a rate mode gyro on all axes of the helis motion. Thus the system will attempt to get the heli to pitch or roll at the rate you set, no matter what the external influences are, up to the limit of the system mechanically, IE dependent on servo strength, pitch availability, rpm, etc.

So for the upside of the setup, you get less rotating mass and aerodynamic drag (therefore more efficiency to the tune of up to 15% from what I've read), tunable roll / pitch rate, faster cyclic response, and a simpler head design. The downsides are the added cost and the setup learning curve.

-Fog
Old 11-13-2007, 10:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonphilli View Post
Sure you can:

Go watch some videos of Daniel Jetschin or Matt Botos and you'll see what Pinecone is talking about.
Yeahh. That is why he had the hardly accented.

--

(Breath, relax, blink)
skydude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydude View Post
Yeahh. That is why he had the hardly accented.

--
Strange, I didn't eve notice that. I guess I need to read a little more carefully.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Me watch videos? LOL unless they are very new... I saw them, or filmed them. Remember... I shot Daniel Jetschins flybarless setup this year and last year at IRCHA. It is on the HeliFreak DVD(s)

When I said "hardly put a price on cool." I was trying to be funny. I guess I failed... again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonphilli View Post
Sure you can:

Old 11-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow, this got screwed up. I meant the "go watch some videos..." for the original poster, not you Dog (sorry about that). And I was trying to be funny when I said "Sure you can: $700...." but I guess I was the one that really failed.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Power, alot more power.

Possibility to get any cyclic rate at any headspeed, meaning lower the headspeed and get longer runtimes, keep the cyclic rate just like you want to.

Possibility have several different setups just by flick of a switch, everything from superstable to super-agile.

Biggest drawback its a steep learning curve to setup, and you need a laptop at the field, however, with Vbar's latest software they now have mobile phone support...
Old 11-14-2007, 05:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mr. Mel.

You mention steep learning curve. Is that the setup learning curve mentioned earlier? Never mind. I see that is what you mention. Can a setup really be that difficult? Is flying the same?

It would appear to have the complexity/failure???? Not as bad as it looks or would seem???

Maybe you would want to really tone down the crashing???

Dawg. I thought your post was funny! Subtle. The way most humor should be.

Flybarless sure does have the cool factor.

(Breath, relax, blink)
Old 11-14-2007, 05:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, its the setup, its kind of "takes some time, once your done your done"

Once its setup good it will fly great,

My friend ran the CSM stuff but didnt like it due to the fact it cant handle piro moves as good because its not a single unit.
(inbetween aileron/elevator need more input then normal, so for a piroflip you had to move the stick in a square, thats ok to relearn if all your helis have same thing, but else its not good. VBar dont have that problem since its a single unit)

Regards to crashing, ive planted my L14 numerous times (dumb thumb it), making basically big holes in the ground, crashes have been cheaper then with flybar, however, otherthings will break more often then it normally would.
I actually had servo gears jump out of the servo...
its because the blade grips are now pretty much a straight line to the swash then to the servo, something gotta give...

I havent had a crash due to the flybarless system as of today, and I had the VBar since it was released.

Ive ran it on Logo 14, Stratus and Ion-X2.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's really cool. Thank you.

(Breath, relax, blink)
Old 11-14-2007, 10:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doesn't the V-bar have a built in tail gyro?

Robert
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bobbyk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, the V-Bar includes the tail gyro...

And yes, the setup is a bit of a pain. But, even me, as a novice, dinked around with it a bit and got a very responsive, yet appropriately stable, setup. For the same 6S I have on my T-Rex 600, I'm adding 2 minutes of flight time, plus insane levels of power. Now, I'll admit I've lost a few cm of tail boom length, and 4cm of rotor, but WOW.

So, while the efficiency is hard to compare, the difference is clear. Flybar-less is the way to go, even if it's the somewhat more expensive way.
T-Rex 500 CF, stock ESC/motor/rotors, 13T, HS-5245MG, ds760/S9254, JR R921
th3tick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2007, 11:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel View Post
My friend ran the CSM stuff but didnt like it due to the fact it cant handle piro moves as good because its not a single unit.
(inbetween aileron/elevator need more input then normal, so for a piroflip you had to move the stick in a square, thats ok to relearn if all your helis have same thing, but else its not good. VBar dont have that problem since its a single unit)
I test flew a Century Swift with the CSM flybarless setup at the weekend for one of the guys in the club. Piro-flips felt normal and I could lock em in without too much problem. I didn't feel like I had to add more stick between aileron/elevator in any piro move with this heli. Anyone else want to share their experiences?

The Swift flew really well and locked in to manoeuvres very nicely indeed. I was actually quite surprised and it felt more locked in all-round than my Sceadu 50. Not an absolute apples with apples comparison but you'd imagine the Sceadu's extra size would give a more stable feel. I'm not sure if this more stable feel was due to the flybarless system or the Swift itself. I liked it though and it certainly made me a lot more interested in flybarless systems.
Max_Throws is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 07:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

So let's see. I need to get my eRazor. And THEN get the flybarless (I don't think I will be able to stop myself). Hmmm. I will have to put off retirement until ......when.......the 22nd century?

--

(Breath, relax, blink)
Old 11-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just realized I won't have to buy a separate tail gyro. Retirement....maybe late 21st century.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in