Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

whats the amp rating of EC5 from hobbyking ? for 700 dominator top

AlignKing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have been using EC3 on smaller stuff and EC5 on bigger stuff BUT they are not ideal. Although they appear polarized, it is possible to get contact if you bring them together the wrong way. Seems like the pins are not recessed far enough. I'd be open to a new connector style but at this point, I have an ass-ton of batteries with EC3/EC5's. Once connected they have worked well: never come loose in action and don't overheat due to crummy contact resistance.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
I have been using EC3 on smaller stuff and EC5 on bigger stuff BUT they are not ideal. Although they appear polarized, it is possible to get contact if you bring them together the wrong way. Seems like the pins are not recessed far enough. I'd be open to a new connector style but at this point, I have an ass-ton of batteries with EC3/EC5's. Once connected they have worked well: never come loose in action and don't overheat due to crummy contact resistance.
Castle Connectors are 6.5mm, polarized and have different connectors on the ESC and battery side. But they are expensive.

Personally I have decided to switch to the XT150. While it is possible to connect two batteries together with these the color coding makes it unlikely.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2016, 04:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

RC ProPlus Pro D6
"SUPER-STROKER" is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Amass AS150's...... Easy to solder and can handle a boatload of current....
http://m.helidirect.com/item/3330313137

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've never had any issues with EC5's. However, I've always worried about brand to brand compatibility especially since the male bullet connectors come in different shapes; The more solid and expensive bullet style and the cheaper banana plug style with the small springs on the middle section. The traditional CC 5.5mm and 6.5mm connectors work really well for semi-permanent connections like for motor connections or wire extensions, but the connection tends too loosen over time after multiple connection-disconnection cycles. They also do not come with a plastic housing which I think make them less safe to use for batteries. The newer CC battery connectors seem like they should work well for batteries, but the plastic housing does not work well for me because I like to split the positive and negative housings like the pic below.

I've now switched all of my larger batteries to the RCProPlus Pro-X6 connectors. By sticking with the same brand, I can guarantee the consistency of male-female connections. Since the plastic housing can be undone by removing the 3 screws, I can expose the male bullets and wipe off the carbon deposit buildup as needed. Since each connector has individual housing, I can connect the two LiPos in series without needing an extra connecting wire (see pic below). This helps to keep the wires as short as possible.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default battery connectors

To throw my hat in the ring a couple of observations after using most all of these connectors in one form or another,....

Deans - My least favorite of all the connectors. The proximity of the positive and negative soldering lugs gives me the shakes when soldering a 6S 70C battery. Yes it can be done just fine, but one little slip,and it could spell absolute disaster. A terrible design flaw in my opinion.

The EC5's work well, but I don't like how I cannot remove the connectors from the plastic housing once secured without cutting it off. I find with high current and high voltage applications you can get carbon build up that needs to be cleaned. These connectors dont have much room for cleaning. There is also no spark arrestor.

XT90's have been my choice for the 100A and under connections since they came out. I have always loved the XT60's so this was a natural progression. It is really nice that you can now buy these with snap on cable covers so heat shrink is a thing of the past. I also buy these specifically in the anti-spark version for my battery side. The anti-spark consists of a small portion of the barrel being connected to the main barrel through a resistor. This makes the connection at low voltage before the main connection is created and it also happens a couple mm's down the barrel which would shield it. These are really nice for these 6S+ HV systems that I use in my high performance EDF applications and my large scale heli's.

Castle Connectors are used on all my large HV set ups (EDF and Heli). Typically I run a Castle Connector on the ESC for it's superior current handling and very firm connection. I then build a series connector with two XT90 plugs on the battery end and the Castle connector on the ESC end. This way I have the best of both worlds : High current handling on the main ESC connector (Castle claims 250A continuous), and Anti-spark and ease of soldering / connectivity on the battery side. This also means I can use the same connectors on all my batteries for simplicity. I drop down to XT60's when my batteries get down to the small 3000 mah and under size that typically have 12 gauge or smaller wiring even on the High C packs.
reaper60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Castle 6.5mm.. No complaints.. Easy to solder.. Easy to set bullets in housing.. Call it a day..
Old 09-13-2016, 09:26 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

EC5 connector. Hobbyking

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sets_bag_.html
Tx /DX8, Blade 180 CFX, TREX 550X ,AR7200BX and upgrade new align 100amp esc and align 820m HV servo , 800E PRO w/ Newly style rotor head mini-Vbar, upgrade new align 130amp esc and HV align HV 820m servo.
whan1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2016, 02:58 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by whan1 View Post
Sadly Hobbyking has switched to the "split bullet" type EC5's that have a smaller solder cup and have crappier housings. The old version was basicly just the Horizon ones without the branding, these new ones are from a different factory and are pretty horrible.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by "SUPER-STROKER" View Post
RC ProPlus Pro D6

I switched to these recently and really like them! Super easy to solder and they're a solid connector. Good price too!
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in