Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Heli-Max Helicopters

Heli-Max Helicopters Heli-Max Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Heli-max Axe Ez motor brushes...

Anyone had issues with motor brushes on the heli-max axe Ez?

I'm brand new to flying helis (though I did fixed wing ages ago in my teens) and just picked up an Axe Ez at my LHS. Flying wise, I'm impressed... I was prepared to take it a few seconds of white knuckled terror at a time, but it's far easier than I'd feared - I guess coaxial along with what seem to be multiple axis gyros and low mass will do that.

I did however have a bit of a frustrating experience... after a short amount of flying I noticed that the available lift was dropping, and a tendency to yaw to the right was developing. At first I assumed I was just over discharging the batteries (and I probably was), but after fully charging the problem remained. Running it up with the yaw control one way and the other while holding determined that the lower rotor just wasn't making much lift compared to the upper, and was running erratically. I checked gear mesh, running clearance on the bearings, etc.

Finally I saw a post here about brush troubles on a Blade CX and thought that for the low prices both share, components have to be at the low end of workable. So I disassembled the motor - and found a brush cocked to the side, wearing unevenly and tearing up the commutator.

So, bent it back true, ran the motor a bit with no load to seat it, and put it back in the heli. I have lift! Unfortunately I the trim tab still wasn't enough to null the yaw, even after adjusting the yaw pot on the receiver and finally increasing the gyro gain. It will almost hold now, but I'm learning to fly while holding a bit of left rudder...

So I guess it's off in search of a new motor, or more likely a pair of better ones... any suggestions?

What's the view on the axe coaxials anyway - I'm seeing more comments on the blade series? They had a demonstrator of the smaller axe cx micro in the store but none in stock, and I'm tempted to get one as soon as they come in because it's quieter and has that cute buble canopy look vs the gunship styling on the Ez - more fun to take home over the holidays, etc. Or maybe I should be trying to track down a blade mCX for that?
cstratton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

FWIW I found some 180-size vortex motors to put in there. The front one (which is what had the dodgy brush) went in reasonably, and I used the pinion that came with the motor since it seemed to mesh okay. I couldn't figure out how to squeeze the back one in and the shaft was too short to reach the lower gear so I actually flew a pack on the heli with mismatched motors.

But then I figured out that if I pulled the somewhat longer pinion off the helimax motor and stuck it on the vortex it might reach. Only problem is it was also enaging the other gear... hmm, need a lathe. Which is after all just a device for spinning something - so, motor plugged into charger, needle file, a few minutes later no more teeth to engage the wrong gear. It probably needs a drop of CA in there to secure it, but seems to work. I also had to file the front boss a few thou smaller and clean it up, then notch the back end of the can a tiny bit where it sticks beyond the back plate and was hitting the servo bracket/anti rotation thingy.

It will hold rudder trim now. Can't really say if there's more power or not, but at least I can fly it without holding left rudder...

Last edited by cstratton; 11-30-2008 at 06:36 PM..
cstratton is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am pretty sure that the Lama V3 or V4 motors (180's) will fit the EZ. My Ez is doing what yours is doing and I will change them soon, I will tell you how it goes.
fotoset is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm also having the same problem with my Axe EZ and new stock motors aren't much better (haven't tried taking them apart). Is there any indication that 180s from E-Sky for the Lama are going to be any better than 180s from Helli-Max? That would be helpful to know.
Beachcomber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

fotoset, have you tried the new motors yet? Interested in knowing how they do.
Beachcomber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in