Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2016, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Kosmik 200 first spool up

I have a new Kosmik up and running in my machine today but just want to ensure I went about the first spool up after programming modes 1 and 4 was performed correctly.

First off, my HS is 1280/1600/1900. I did the first spool up while in IU1 ( about 1600HS) at zero pitch and held it on the ground for several seconds before lift off.

Actually, these head speeds were tweaked (via throttle curve adjustments) after first flight to obtain these numbers.

Was this the right approach? And, would it have made a difference if I would have performed the first spool up at 1280 or 1900 HS?

Geez, four years of flying this thing with another esc. What a difference!!!
Gaui X5 Jive 100 Scorpion 910, Jeti DS-16
john2kx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2016, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

John this might help I had asked on an other thread and I put the answers I got in red:

Quote:
Once I have done mode 1 and 4 my Progunit is not in Governor Store mode.
So on the bench when I want to do some testing (without blades) for autorotation for example, I can do all I want and not affect anything

1) Once I am finished with my testing, then I put the blades on and have a freshly full charged battery, put the Kosmik in gov store mode and just spool up the helicopter (outside) with zero pitch and throttle in a 45 to 80% range and my governor store will be set? Yes

2) Any length of time the spool up should be done to make sure it is set? spool up time doesn't matter

3) Then I can shut down everything and leave the Kosmik in Governor store mode (that I am sure of) yes
In so far as having started in any head speed as long as it is within 45 to 80% it does not matter. (may be even 85%)

I am sure Wh1teAfr1can the Kontronik resident here will correct me if I made some mistake here.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Actually since some time now I spool the machine up with no blades (for safety I take main and tail blades off). I now measure head speed with optical tach and since I have telemetry setup via JLog and/or TelMe I use that to compare if settings are ok.
If settings are the same I check what throttle input leads to what rpm. I set it up about 50rpm higher than I want since I am not running with blades. That normally gets me the throttle curves needed.
After that its pretty much all set and ready to go with blades on.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Puttputt maru;7218512]John this might help I had asked on an other thread and I put the answers I got in red:

In so far as having started in any head speed as long as it is within 45 to 80% it does not matter. (may be even 85%)

Eric,
On my first spool up, throttle curves were at roughly 28/50/75% and I used 50% during that first spool up with freshly charged packs.

IM4711, I like your method of doing initial tests on bench without blades. Have done that in the past and found HS's pretty close to with blades on.

Looking at my Jeti throttle curves now, I am at 49/59/73 %. I think all were a bit lower during that first soool up. I have no problem at all doing another mode 1 and 4 reset if the system will benefit.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you have the K-Konfig you can just
(1) fire up the K-Konfig program, (2) change the "Type of governor", (3) click on "Store on ESC", (4) change the "Type of governor" to desired governor setting, and final step (5) click on "Store on ESC". This way, you do not need to alter any of the transmitter settings or the other K-Konfig parameters.
No need to go,through mode 1 and 4 again
Old 12-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not familiar with the k konfig, but will read up on it. I do have a prog unit but have yet to pull it out of the bag. Not sure if it's needed with the K konfig you mentioned.

At this point, I am trying to keep it simple. But, I do see the importance of the Kosmik seeing the right throttle input during first spool up after a system reset.

Btw, just used your jlog 101 again Eric to enable telemetry. Got the system going in 20 minutes. A far cry better than the 3 days it took on my first go round. Thanks again for that post!!
Old 12-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
If you have the K-Konfig you can just
(1) fire up the K-Konfig program, (2) change the "Type of governor", (3) click on "Store on ESC", (4) change the "Type of governor" to desired governor setting, and final step (5) click on "Store on ESC". This way, you do not need to alter any of the transmitter settings or the other K-Konfig parameters.
No need to go,through mode 1 and 4 again
Don't want to argue....but I was told to do mode 1 and 4....and that k-konfig wasn't the right way? I had already done the k-konfig at that time.....

Kontronik is a real nice ESC but I wish the instruction were better.
Revolectrix/MeanWell PS, DPL8, PL8, 2x XP10 and Bump Contr's.
Dansy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2016, 07:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansy View Post
Don't want to argue....but I was told to do mode 1 and 4....and that k-konfig wasn't the right way? I had already done the k-konfig at that time.....

Kontronik is a real nice ESC but I wish the instruction were better.
We had discussed that on an other thread and yes mode1 and mode 4 is the standard way to do it.

curmudgeon proved that with the K-Kconfig it works as well and is simpler and accepted as such. Just a convenience not saying it is better.

John the k-konfig is the computer program that can be used to program more parameters in the KosmiK. I do believe it is needed if you use the TellMe but not really a necessity otherwise. The one thing is that it replaces having to go to mode 10 to set up the battery type used.
Counting to 10 is not my forte
Old 12-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well good to know thank you.

I don't think K-Konfig is require for JETI Tellme....if I remember correctly all I had to do is update the ESC software, connect the Tellme and refresh the telemetry in the TX....
Old 12-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for clearing things up guys. I'll skip the k konfig for now since the mode 1, 4 and 10 is simple enough.

Now that I have my HS's pretty much where I want them, I'll do another reset and spool at zero stick in FM1.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansy View Post
I don't think K-Konfig is require for JETI Tellme....if I remember correctly all I had to do is update the ESC software, connect the Tellme and refresh the telemetry in the TX....
Good to know too. Did you use Jlog before and if yes how does it compare with the TellMe?
Old 12-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Used JLog extensively on all my helis, but since I went VBC the TelMe is so much simpler to set up. It does not give all the parameters as one would get from the JLog but it gives the important ones and the rest are anyway logged in the Kosmik.

K-konfig NOT required with TelMe and only really required if you want to adjust governor gains. A simple setup is to just do mode 1 (resets and teaches endpoints) then mode 4 and if required mode 10 for BEC voltage and fly, no need to use governor store mode as it is not really required unless you have batteries with large age and use gaps.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
Used JLog extensively on all my helis, but since I went VBC the TelMe is so much simpler to set up. It does not give all the parameters as one would get from the JLog but it gives the important ones and the rest are anyway logged in the Kosmik.

K-konfig NOT required with TelMe and only really required if you want to adjust governor gains. A simple setup is to just do mode 1 (resets and teaches endpoints) then mode 4 and if required mode 10 for BEC voltage and fly, no need to use governor store mode as it is not really required unless you have batteries with large age and use gaps.
Thanks for the Tellme and K-Konfig clarification.

I also always thought that governor store was to maintain constant RPM no matter what the batteries. I guess I was making it too complicated then since I keep reasonably fresh batteries.

I must admit that I was not in love at first with the Kosmik due to the wonderfully bad instructions that came with it but after venturing in different direction and cheaper ones. I think it is the best ESC available on the market still. At least the least troublesome.

But there is still room for improvement.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Good to know too. Did you use Jlog before and if yes how does it compare with the TellMe?
Didn't so I don't know....I got one hell that I want to use Jlog because of the ESC or I just use another kontronik....
Old 12-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Question was not mean for me but I recently switched to TelMe on two helis for now. Mina reason was actually availability of the JLog. Anyhow I was surprised how well and very easy straight forward it works.

I use Jeti systems so I got the REX7 receiver and setup 2 ports for EX-bus (easy via the radio). One used for EX-bus towards FBL system (Axon) and one for the TelMe Jeti version. After that - all I had to do is plug in the unit and turn on radios and in the sensor/telemetry setup I chose to refresh. It was al active in a second and no waiting or whatsoever.

To me the difference is simple - JLog as unit for a larger base of Radio brands and ESC's. TelMe works perfectly fine when using it for a specific system.

To me using the Kosmik units I have all of them on Release 4.10 and simply start swapping out units to TelMe. I keep the spare JLog units for the moment to see where I can use those (mostly on older ESC's).
Old 12-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

The K-Konfig program offers the advantage to visualize all the parameters in one single screen. It also gives you the option to reset the "Type of governor" then click on "Store on ESC" without redoing Mode 1 and Mode 4. The "Pole count" and "Gear ratio" allow the TelMe and/or JLog to read the correct RPM. It is my understanding that the "Warnings" section is only applicable to TelMe units.

The JLog 2.6 units are less expensive than the TelMe units. The JLog 2.6 units are more versatile than TelMe units, since a single JLog 2.6 can work with many ESC brands and radio brands. In comparison, the TelMe units only work with Kontronik ESCs, and each TelMe unit is radio brand specific. That being said, I prefer to pair a Kontronik ESC with a TelMe unit rather than a JLog 2.6. The JLog 2.6 requires multiple setup steps to configure correctly. The JLog 2.6 does not read all the BEC data off the Kontronik ESCs. The JLog 2.6 LiPo mah consumtion data does not match the Kontronik logged LiPo mah consumption data exactly, at least not without some additional tweaking. The JLog 2.6 may also need to play "catch-up" whenever a new ESC firmware update is released that may not be compatible with the JLog 2.6. The TelMe units come pre-configured and do not rely on firmware updates to make them work. They just work. The TelMe units "spit out" the telemetry data as the ESC sees it; The JLog 2.6 "spits out" telemetry data it interprets from the ESC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-14 G700 KSE Kontronik settings copy.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	684893  
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well than you think I should try a TellMe unit?
Old 12-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
The K-Konfig program offers the advantage to visualize all the parameters in one single screen. It also gives you the option to reset the "Type of governor" then click on "Store on ESC" without redoing Mode 1 and Mode 4. The "Pole count" and "Gear ratio" allow the TelMe and/or JLog to read the correct RPM. It is my understanding that the "Warnings" section is only applicable to TelMe units.

The JLog 2.6 units are less expensive than the TelMe units. The JLog 2.6 units are more versatile than TelMe units, since a single JLog 2.6 can work with many ESC brands and radio brands. In comparison, the TelMe units only work with Kontronik ESCs, and each TelMe unit is radio brand specific. That being said, I prefer to pair a Kontronik ESC with a TelMe unit rather than a JLog 2.6. The JLog 2.6 requires multiple setup steps to configure correctly. The JLog 2.6 does not read all the BEC data off the Kontronik ESCs. The JLog 2.6 LiPo mah consumtion data does not match the Kontronik logged LiPo mah consumption data exactly, at least not without some additional tweaking. The JLog 2.6 may also need to play "catch-up" whenever a new ESC firmware update is released that may not be compatible with the JLog 2.6. The TelMe units come pre-configured and do not rely on firmware updates to make them work. They just work. The TelMe units "spit out" the telemetry data as the ESC sees it; The JLog 2.6 "spits out" telemetry data it interprets from the ESC.
While jLog has been at the mercy of Kontronik in the past it will be interesting to see how it works going forward now that the TelMe units are available.

Both units see the same data stream from ESC.
Ace Dude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2016, 09:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

TelMe does not require the gear ratio and pole count to be set in the ESC only in the TX, so still zero need for K-Konfig when installing a TelMe.

I believe in KISS and Kontronik ESC's are really simple creatures, mode 1, mode 4 and fly, plug in TelMe, config TX and fly.......
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Need to set BEC voltage if using HV servos and LiFe/LiPo buffer pack.
Ace Dude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in