Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mSR

mSR Blade (eFlite) Micro SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Air Hogs 360 Helix

I am going to get one of these tonight. This is Air Hogs attempt at a 4 channel single rotor heli. Videos look pretty good. Very stable and flies a little tamer than the mSR. Got to try this one out!

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
I am going to get one of these tonight. This is Air Hogs attempt at a 4 channel single rotor heli. Videos look pretty good. Very stable and flies a little tamer than the mSR. Got to try this one out!

DON'T DO IT. that's the first heli I bought. and the first heli I returned back to target. junk, no rechargeable batteries (you always have to plug it into the control to charge) flies like crap. not worth it. put that money into your other helis

judging by your sig you already own WAY better heli's
soon to be 450v2 fbl
mikeonthebike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I took your advice. I did get a Interceptor R/C Bladerunner 3.5 channel to mess with. Pretty neat. Nothing fancy, but flies pretty good. Supposed to fly outdoor too! It's like big Syma S107.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeonthebike View Post
DON'T DO IT. that's the first heli I bought. and the first heli I returned back to target. junk, no rechargeable batteries (you always have to plug it into the control to charge) flies like crap. not worth it. put that money into your other helis

judging by your sig you already own WAY better heli's
Just for clarification, is this the Helix 360 you had or did you have the older coax one with fans on it? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3979082 I was considering buying this one, especially when it was $49 at Radioshack until today
helitack32f1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helitack32f1 View Post
Just for clarification, is this the Helix 360 you had or did you have the older coax one with fans on it? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3979082 I was considering buying this one, especially when it was $49 at Radioshack until today

yup that is it. I payed 79 for it EXPECTING it to be kinda cool. not very good in my book. I have a million times more fun with my msr and parts are replaceable at the local hobby shop.
soon to be 450v2 fbl
mikeonthebike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is the Helix 360 I was referring too. Took the bigger brute back and got this last night while they were still on sale.

Flies pretty darn good. 4 channel just like the mSR but not as wild...will play with this for awhile....

Old 11-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flies pretty darn good for an Air Hog..Fwd/Bkwd, Up/Down, Left/Right, Side/Side!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_11280002.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	192252   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_11280003.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	192253   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010_11280004.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	192254  

Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Look's like a futuristic Hughey Cobra. Just needs some rocket-launchers on the side and painted camo.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I actually got the Heli Bug from playing with a couple of Airhogs. I did get the 360 Helix, but took it back. The IR transmitter didn't like my living room. Multiple IR relays for home theater system and a lot of pooled light played heck with the thing. I took it to work and discovered a spot about 5 feet from my desk that was a black hole for the poor thing. You could literally fly it off the desk, put it into this 5x5 space and it would drop like a rock for no clear reason. If you flew around the area it was fine, but stray in and wham. Down you went.

For the same money I picked up an MSR BnF and have been very happy with it (now that I have a decent program on my DX6i that has low throttle and control curves. It's like having the MSR move at 360 Helix rates but without all the instability of the IR set up).

Plus the MSR has the added advantage of making enough noise to scare the bejesus out of the cat. It kept trying to eat the Helix.
RIckSide is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIckSide View Post
Plus the MSR has the added advantage of making enough noise to scare the bejesus out of the cat.

..and that alone makes it worth twice as much!
chummer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Tail motor is just as noisy as the mSR.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Would it be a good heli for kids to start flying or would you recommend a coaxial heli first?

How would you rate it compared to the msr? Can you give us some vid?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a lot more forgiving than the msr. However, I would recommend an mCX2 for a kid.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd View Post
It's a lot more forgiving than the msr. However, I would recommend an mCX2 for a kid.
O.K. Thanks, I went with the mCX2. I went to my LHS yesterday and picked up 3 of them for my kids for Christmas. Now, I just might have to go back and pick up another one for myself.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up My Helix 360 Experience

Hey guys, I bought the Helix 360 from Radioshack this Black Friday. I went through 2 sets of batteries in pretty much 2 days. The little guy flies like a BEAST, considering the fact that it is a TOY heli and I got it for only 49.99. The only problem I had was after crashing it vigorously maybe 25 times, It developed a wobble while hovering....So to fix it, I went to radioshack and exchanged it. =P

In my opinion, the most fun thing to do with the Helix is right hand, fast, banked turns. It gains a lot of speed and then when you get to a wall, just turn it and because of the extreme bank its at, it will turn almost immediately back towards the direction it came from, or wherever you stop the turn. You can see me demonstrating this in the video below.

Heres a very useful tip if you want to be able to hover your Helix:

Place a small weight of some sort on the tail. I used about a gram worth of duck tape and it worked fine. The helix naturally flies forward a little bit like every other Airhogs Heli out there. If you get just the rite amount of weight on the tail, it hovers pretty impressively.

Here is a youtube video of my Helix..Hope you guys enjoy. Happy flying!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8J0pzzgP6k[/ame]
Loball540 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

That thing is impressive. Cool little toy.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Helix 360

Hi there,
So your saying Radio Shack will return the Heli after you say that it developed this wobble? Did they check it out, or take your word for it? and Im not doubting you. I believe you..I was just curious is all to their exchange for you. I purchased a Helix 360 a couple days ago, and I have been flying the heck out of it. I love it! Compared to my Havoc Sport and Sharp Shooter, this Heli blows them away! So yeah, with all my flying over the last few days, im sure I will possibly develop some kind of flaw..within this 30 day time period. Thereafter my protection plan kicks in for a year..Not really worried, but I'd hate to use it up within this month I have flown it..they basically told me as long as you dont run it over with your vehicle and dont fly it into the pool..ha! well thats all my blah blah'ing on ya for now! have a good 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loball540 View Post
Hey guys, I bought the Helix 360 from Radioshack this Black Friday. I went through 2 sets of batteries in pretty much 2 days. The little guy flies like a BEAST, considering the fact that it is a TOY heli and I got it for only 49.99. The only problem I had was after crashing it vigorously maybe 25 times, It developed a wobble while hovering....So to fix it, I went to radioshack and exchanged it. =P

In my opinion, the most fun thing to do with the Helix is right hand, fast, banked turns. It gains a lot of speed and then when you get to a wall, just turn it and because of the extreme bank its at, it will turn almost immediately back towards the direction it came from, or wherever you stop the turn. You can see me demonstrating this in the video below.

Heres a very useful tip if you want to be able to hover your Helix:

Place a small weight of some sort on the tail. I used about a gram worth of duck tape and it worked fine. The helix naturally flies forward a little bit like every other Airhogs Heli out there. If you get just the rite amount of weight on the tail, it hovers pretty impressively.

Here is a youtube video of my Helix..Hope you guys enjoy. Happy flying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8J0pzzgP6k
Blueeyed619 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is a decent and favourable review of the 360 for anyone interested:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4FIAg3vVdM[/ame]
Ottawa919 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it's a little unfortunate that this thread starts off on a negative note. I had already seen the Taoist flyers youtube review, and spoke with a work colleague about the Helix 360, and decided I needed one - despite my other helis.

I wasn't disappointed. The first thing you'll notice when you've got it trimmed is the rock solid hover. Very impressive. Forward and backward speed are no 120SR with neg. 85% expo., but it does the job. It does make pretty impressive speed when making right turns, and put in some aileron and it will bank.

Run times are perfectly fine at 7 to 8 minutes. I would say this is an excellent four channel heli for a beginner, the only downside being the rather abrupt tail response and re-trim on each power up.

If you shop around I bet you can get a lower price than RRP. I got mine at Target for $59.99.

Anybody done any mods. to the helix to get a bit more response from it? I'm thinking the flybar might be a good place to start.

Another Air-Hogs home run is the Toys-R-Us exclusive, Boeing licensed, Osprey tilt wing. A very original plane/heli that I modified to take my 120SR lipos by removing the cockpit cover. I'm planning on taking a key chain cam up on it when the weather improves. Thanks again to the Taoist flyer for the inspiration on that one!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put a plastic paper clip on the tail...now it hovers in one place more or less.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in