Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My DX6i Throttle - off position isn't 0!!

All...well I was at Radd's 6th battery step when I about my pants! Everything set up normally, in hold mode. I switch off the hold, and she starts spinning up, and by a good amount. Like a deer in the headlights It took me a few secs to switch the hold back on, but the damage to my nerves were done. It had NEVER done that before...I went into the DX6i settings to investigate...

-F.Mode was at 0 (Norm), so it wasn't idle up causing it...

-Norm Throttle curve...hmm verified curve was 0, 25, 48, 67, 90...no prob there... (arrow was on it, so F.Mode switch wasn't malfunctioning) HOLD...set to 0.0

-I checked Throttle Trim...it was set to 0, as well as sub-trim. D/R 90% & +10%EXP all fine, Travel adjust fine.

At this point I sense more hair leaving my head, as I am miffed and confounded. I even turned everthing off and on...same thing happend.

I went the monitor, and it VERIFIED was I was experiencing. Watching the triangle, on hold it's halfway from 0 to the first tic. When I switch it off hold, it moved to the first tic. By adjusting the hold curve it appears that position (first tic) is around 12%? More than enough to start up the 400. Still, why was hold 0, not 0? When I hit Throttle cut, the meter nails the bottom!! IS THIS NORMAL? I don't know what I could've done!! All curves are correct! Why is throttle stick off, not OFF! Taking it off hold before didn't cause it to start before though!

What puzzled me more is it behaves the same way on my mCX!! Fortunetly that 10-12% isn't enough for the mCX to rotate!

For now, I've set my throttle trim down, so it doesn't start when off hold...but it starts quickly with any movement. I'm able to continue for now...but it's really bothering me.

Can anyone tell me what's going on with this DX6i (or if it's the noob operator holding it?) Thanks ALL! (Haven't hovered yet, but I know it's coming soon!)
mr2mkii is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's probly because you plugged your battery in while the throttle hold switch was on. If you do that, it'll spin up when you turn throttle hold off. You're ok
Jimmy! is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiracerj View Post
It's probly because you plugged your battery in while the throttle hold switch was on. If you do that, it'll spin up when you turn throttle hold off. You're ok
+1 on that, happened to me many a times... goes all kindsa crazy

E -Flite Blade 400 3D and MCX, Align TREX 600NSP, Traxxas Nitro 4-TEC 3.3, Traxxas Nitro TMAXX 3.3, Enforcer 48" 30cc Gaser Deep V fiberglass boat
Arsenix2001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
This has happened to me as well. once it has beeped twice then switch th/hold .
should work like this.
Kevin
Old 12-31-2008, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

your not supposed to plug the batt in with throttle hold on?
I always turn the TX on a turn throttle hold on then plug the batt in
Old 12-31-2008, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nope! Otherwise the reciever doesn't see true "0" of low stick
Old 12-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
your not supposed to plug the batt in with throttle hold on?
I always turn the TX on a turn throttle hold on then plug the batt in

I do the same thing ALL the time and I dont spin up. There is a way to do it if you set up the radio correctly.
LockMD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
OMG you guys saved me from wearing a nice white jacket...with lots of belts!

Sure enough, I did as you suggested and it works fine! No offset issues at all!! YAY! It certainly freaked me out before...not a good feeling when your scared 500$ is just gonna take off on its own lol! I'm starting to understand why learning to fly this is 50% skill, and 50% getting over the fear of destroying it!

I must of began using that hold switch around that time, when away from the controller...so it makes sense! Thanks again all! Now I know better...
Old 12-31-2008, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think some radios might be different I don't know.. but in TH throttle curve menu when I go to 0... it says "-0" so that leads me to believe that's why mine always spools up slowly if I initialize it in the wrong mode. But true.. doesn't seem to happen to everyone.. but a lot.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockMD View Post
I do the same thing ALL the time and I dont spin up. There is a way to do it if you set up the radio correctly.
Maybe you're referring to the following:

Because I've adjusted my DX6i, the monitor menu shows T/H sending the same throttle signal as low stick on normal flight mode. I normally plug in the battery with T/H on (and the motor never moves), flick the idle-up switch, set the left stick just below mid-stick, turn off T/H, and finally watch the B400 slowly spool up to 80% throttle with mildly negative blade pitch.

With my stock RTF setup it was as easy as setting the T/H throttle curve at +10% in my case.

xspare is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 07:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockMD View Post
mine has always had the throttle trim down a bunch of clicks. someone posted that its supposed to be 0. Mine was like this out of the box and I thought it was normal. if you you plug the batt in a 0 stick and 0 trim is this still needed?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

IMHO there shouldn't be any reason for neg thr trim. I'd try it, with finger near the throttle cut just in case. I reset mine to 0, and kept the T/H off when plugging in the battery. Sure enough the trim was no longer necessary.

Since then, I have found another way (for me at least) to allow HOLD at startup and not have it change once off (without neg trim). If you set the HOLD value, via the monitor triangle, to the same value as the throttle in normal off mode, such that the magnitude doesn't change when switching. Since it's the same, and the 400 uses this as thr min point, it works...even though hold is around 10%! It's weird, but worked for me. (Dis: Be prepared if it doesn't work on yours! The throttle cut rules!)
Old 02-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

be careful, my dx6i behaved like yours. than i realised that even if the stick is all down, 0 position, it wasnt really 0, i realised when i adjusted Throttle curve that
the line didn't go all the way back.
later on upon intensive checking with my LHS we realised that the throttle poti was faulty and that the damn throttle would jump all over the place.......
they gave me a new dx6i now this is fine my throttle moves correctly etc. however
i than learned that you need to connect the battery with TH off.........

just check it before you crash your bird
macel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
Nope! Otherwise the reciever doesn't see true "0" of low stick

with the eflite 25a Pro brushless esc you can plug the battery in with throttle hold on....everything intilizes fine....although i always "cycle" the TH switch after the ESC arms just to confirm....
Blade~400~er is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

You want to talk about pooing pants i started my heli one day it went
straight to full throttle at 1/4 stick i had no control straight past me and into
the side of the house done the funky chicken .no idea what had happened as
the day before all fine.Went and checked throttle curves and they went from
zero at low stick to 90 at about 1/4 stick still have no idea how it happened
changed back to what normally run been a month hasnt happened since.
go figure
Guzziman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't get mine off
I had the same problem, and tried turning everything off and on with TH off, but doesn't help. I tried so many different ways of turning the stuff off and on and nothing. How do you go about getting stuff to normal again? Everytime I go into a throttle curve, it will show the throttle as 25% up already.
AlanB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 03:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I talked to horizon hobby and they said with the stock set up the throttle trim should be all the way down.
spootman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in