Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters

Walkera Helicopters Walkera Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys the one i bought new is still going with the walkera engine,but it dont seem to like the plug it had in it.and all i had was a os #7 plug and a McCoy #59 so i tried both and the McCoy ran the best.The other one i bought from a guy after he broke the crank it and i put the K&B 18 in it.Besides the rudder servo wire falling off they fell great.To be honest i really believe that the cranks on some have been broke because of engine flooding while trying to start them,i know they are hard to start.I have seen some people trying to start them with heli starters for 30 to 90 size engines.Maybe its just a guess.

What plugs is everyone using?
And also my pal just bought a new os 15cv engine by all the specs i have seen on it it should be a great replacement for the walkera engine and it is just 15 bucks more than the walkera crap.He said i could use it to see if it would fit,while he finishes his plane.I dont know about a muffler for it,I do have some of os's 90 deg muffler adapters i bought awhile back i just dont know about the muffler size if walkeras muffler is the same size or not.But if so i dont think it will take much to add some heatsink to the head to help cool it if it needs it.But i have had no problems on the K&B running hot,i have used a temp gun on it a couple of times.its within specs.Oh and i forgot about the crappy oneway bearing in the fan to start it.It dont last long and 30 bucks is just to much money for a piece of plastic. I have been looking for the bearing that is in it to see if you can buy just the bearing it cant cost more than 10 to 15 bucks at the most.for a bearing i have pressed the old one out of a broking one,and been looking around with alittle luck just might find one. Well Well what do ya know,speaking of it i just find one at Heildirect.

MicroHeli NSK Precision Oneway Clutch Bearing HF0612

Our Price: $11.99
SKU: MH-HF0612NSK

Here is a link http://helidirect.com/microheli-nsk-...612-p-1286.hdx

Now that is more like it you can buy three bearings for what you would pay for just one..I was searching as i was writing this and i found it, iam off here so i can order some.. the numbers match so it would have to work I will let you guys know how it goes..
Old Warbird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Old Warbird, good find. The electrical problem on mine turned out to be the battery went south. I like this chopper so much I think I will dig out my HM#83 and put a fbl unit on it and make it fly. I bought it for parts but think it should fly just as well with the right engine. These little 500 nitros rock. Now that Gaui is coming out with one using an OS37 I think other companies will fallow with one also. Woo Hoo
jimmymc2286 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymc2286 View Post
Old Warbird, good find. The electrical problem on mine turned out to be the battery went south. I like this chopper so much I think I will dig out my HM#83 and put a fbl unit on it and make it fly. I bought it for parts but think it should fly just as well with the right engine. These little 500 nitros rock. Now that Gaui is coming out with one using an OS37 I think other companies will fallow with one also. Woo Hoo
Yea jimmy that was another thing i forgot to gripe about the cheap battery,One lasted about 1 month the other one i pulled and replaced and threw on the work table to be used only for setups on radio installs and such not for flying in anything.Yes J i would deafeningly think it would fly just the same most of the parts are the same on both of them.J if i was you i would buy or ask around for a os 15cv engine and yes i know it is a airplane engine but the only difference is a bigger heatsink on a heli engine head.I havent had the time to see if walkeras muffler will fit.but os makes a 90deg adapter to put the muffler at the right angle.I was lucky that the muffler from walkera fit the K&B 18 engine on the other one i have.K&B makes a head that is alot bigger for better cooling for 8 bucks.I bought two of them and two of the 18s just havent switched the second one yet or changed the head it runs and starts so great and doesn't run hot.But i do love Os engines and i will see what must be done to put the os on my second one.Because the walkera is just such a pain to start and just doesnt run without playing with needle valve everytime ya go fly it...
Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Old Warbird, I'll start the look for an OS 15. I too like OS engines. If anyone has one they would like to part with let me know.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

I spoke to soon about walkeras crappy engine in my sec V18.I came home early today and thought nice day i will go out in my backyard and fly my 80inch wingspan P38 with twin YS 61 2 stroke with tune pipes on it,flew it 3 times,beautiful flying warbird that twin engine sound i love it..I landed the last flight and cleaned it up bought to the shop,and passed my v18 on the bench and said nice and cool out plenty of daylight left why not,grabbed it and went to the backyard.Started it up,hovered it for few seconds and then flew around for alittle did a few loops,rolls,tailslides and so on.So i flipped it over for few inverted passes and on my 3 time around the backyard it quit while inverted about 50 foot off the ground with my feet up on a rock just laid back enjoying the flight.Well i saved it without a scratch on it.Talk about lucky,and that is where my luck ended i stuck the starter to it and it didnt turn over tried with my hand locked solid.Took it back to the shop pulled the motor off and what do ya know the crank broke right were the piston rod connects to the crank,In 31 yrs of fling nitro powered airplanes,boats and helis i have never busted a piston,broke a rod or a crank even on the cheapest engines you could buy,I have flown them into the ground into trees,pavement,i even hit a crow once..I have never had one break in flight or on the ground.I was very very lucky i got it on the ground in one peice.The heli flys great i have no complaints about its flying.Its Walkeras crappy engines and very poor tech support that really drag this great heli down to the bottom of any list.I wouldnt be surprised if they stopped selling them.I think they will do one of two things,fix the engine problem or pull them off the selves..:fac e
Old 09-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow great save. If it would have been mine I would have been over. I love the way these fly, but the engine is a problem. Not as big a problem as a company that will not support their customers, or their products. I saw an artical where they are bringing out a 30 size nitro. I hope it has a better engine.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

What plug is everyone using? Every short plug i have tried has died,Os #7 i forget the others i wrotem down somewhere.I have been using a mccoy #59 with two of the copper rings to keep it short and it runs great.bill gave me a crank he had bought for his before he traded it for a trex 450.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I' using old tower hobbies plugs that I had from my plank days. I don't know the number of them. I used the last one yesterday at the field.
I also lost orientation while doing forward flips and drove mine in the ground. lucky only damage was on servo arm, tail boom, tail housing and blades. Got it ready to go again.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymc2286 View Post
Wow great save. If it would have been mine I would have been over. I love the way these fly, but the engine is a problem. Not as big a problem as a company that will not support their customers, or their products. I saw an artical where they are bringing out a 30 size nitro. I hope it has a better engine.
I would never buy anything that walkera made ever again.I dont care if it that new 30 size heli had a OS motor on it.They dont support crap.And they will never gain my trust ever.Iam sorry Jimmy ya banged it up.I havent had the time to fit the os 15cv motor yet but i do know that the clutch fits the crank just right.May have to raise or lower the motor mounts to line up with the main gear,just been to busy with work.But i have been able to fly behind the house after work.I love the way the V18G01 flys and handles but a bad motor,cheap plastic fan,bad servo,crappy battery,cheap oneway bearing.cheap clutch and bearings in it,Cheap main gear that wears very quick.Iam most likely forgetting alot more,this is just off the top of my head.. I will never buy from them and will never refer them to anybody ever.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

i too am curious as to what the engine options are out there. im going on the assumption that my hm83 has roughly the same dimensions.
specializedbndt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone noticed that most places have put the parts on clearance,some parts are half off for this heli.Dont sound to good to me.The .15 for the HM83 is no longer available ya have to buy the .18 for the HMV18G01 it is a direct replacement for the .15 motor.Also a OS 15cv engine will work and is the best little motor to fly with,you can find a bigger. head on ebay from $15 to $25 bucks to help cooling but as of yet it hasnt been running hot,i checked it with a temp gun 5 or 6 times its okay with the stock head but maybe when summer comes it may get hot but that is along way off.Ya have to just have to re-drill the mounts to bolt the engine to.And make a new linkage rod for the throttle,it just needs to be bent.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

warbird, is that 15cv engine a car engine? I am thinking it is for one, but wanted to confirm. do you happen to have a picture or link to the engine. Thanks !!!
skyheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

No it is for airplanes,Os 15 CV-A they just changed the head and switch to a side exhaust head.And it works great very good power very good idle on 30% nitro.Here is a link http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-O-S-15CV...item5ae26ae8c0 ..I have bought several used ones between 40 to 65 dollars shipped to the door.But i have not seen any for a week or so.But keep a eye out and ya may get lucky.I love it and iam not afraid of the crank breaking in flight like the two walkera engines did.Let me tel ya 20 foot above the ground inverted is never a fun place to be when one decides to break on you.One of them broke and caused the rod to break and came out the side of the side of the motor and hit the canopy and threw it up into the blades and ruined them and almost caused me to junk the whole heli before i could get it on the ground.But to date i have had 3 of the walkera servo wires fall off the circuit boards at the soldier points.So if you want to keep your bird i would think of replacing all the servos.I did on both of my V18s.But the os motors or so easy to tune and ya dont never have to fool with it everytime you go fly just to get it to run.Just startem and flyem no worrying at all...
Old 12-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

So far so good. I finally recieved the heli and have been flying it. I looked over it making sure everthing I could see was tight and working. I did notice the tail rotor slider needed a bearing holder tightened back up. I start my engine with a RC car starter. Its seems to do the job. A strange thing I noticed the engine only wants 1/2 turn to work. Maybe its the break in period. It seems the main needle would need more turns out. I am using a CP 30% with OS8 plug. Seems to run well. I dont know what possesed me to buy the heli other than I have other Walkera products and I wanted a Devo 8S. I also wanted a small heli. I thought all the negative stuff here would discourage me but I just like the way it flies. I am keeping an eye open for an engine just in case. I have also bought some spare parts. Hopefully this heli will last a while like my Trex 450 did. Thanks for all the advice from all the above posters... Thank you Warbird for you post on the engine
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Skyheli i have 2 of the V18s,one with a K&B 18 the other with OS 15 cv-a.Yea that sounds about right on the needle valve,i could never find out why it ran like that but it ran.I have been flying planes and helis for 31 years,and i have never had a crank break much less 2 of them.Never had the servo wires break off the circuit board,but 2 of them did.mufflers fall apart no matter what you do to it.But yes they are a great flying heli no doubt about that,walkera just dont stand behind ther product.And you are stuck paying for a motor out of your pocket that didnt last 6 flights or in my case 2 of them.I hope you have better luck but unless you got some new super duper motor they replaced it with.You will be looking for a new motor very soon if it dont cause you to crash it when the crank breaks.I do know that several shops wont be selling parts for this bird after new year or when ther stock runs out.Most places have the parts at 50% to 60% off to clear out ther shelfs and be done with them.Most of the shops are sick off the complaints they have got from this heli.Good luck "Spin it" "Fly it" "Till the Blades fall off...
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default V18G01

I know V18G01 has a crappy one way bearing to start but Walkera came with a new idea with a automatic starter that will bolt on top the cooling fan with ESC.
autorings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well if they did such thing,the added weight would most likely be more than the heli could handle to fly any 3d or any hard flying.And os has stopped making the cv-a 15 engine dont know why they run great easy to tune.It will only leave the K&B 18 as a replacement.As i have never found any place that has the walkera 18 engine in stock for at least 4 or 5 months.If someone wanted to waste 120.00 bucks for the crank to break again in it. And every place i have found is out of the os 15.and parts for this heli is becoming harder and harder to find in stock any where.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

I noticed that on the 15 CV-a engine. I may just bit the bullet and get one before they completely run out.. What I want to know is why did walkera choose to use a 6MM main shaft. It is so difficult to find a replacement head. I was flying in my back yard and got hit by a wind gust and it caught some shrubbery. This was enough to bend the main grip connector and break a blade. I have bought a few replacement heads but they dont fit. Last night I got a brain storm... I think I may have found a way. I will try to see how this works...... Its too bad they stopped support on this little heli. It flies so well.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default V18G01

Skyheli, you can use Align 500 FBL head by using a bore reducer from 8mm to 6mm they cost $5 OR user a valve cover gasket for Mazda Protege 2.0 for $25 the kit include 8 or 10 pieces. Would Walkera 500 head work?
I am working on better way than a one way bearing to start the heli, I will post pictures.
autorings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was looking at the Align 500 head package. The V500 head assembly seems to work but sits a little higher on the heli. I am using the OneWay Sleeve from the main shaft as a bore reducer. Its woking perfectly. I had bought a few extra mainshafts a while back. I need to look at a Align 500 head. If its the same at the V500 in height I wil just stick with the one I have. This heli seems to be like a 450/500 hybrid. I dont quite trust the extra longer links I needed to use for the V500 head.

I found out that there is a aluminum washer inside the blade grip that got crushed. I need to find that washer and i could use them again. The blade grips made it ok, just that post that holds the link got bent. I found in my old scraps some suitable posts from other larger helis I had.

to start my heli, I use a RC car starter. seems to work well. It will lock up if the engine gets full of fuel. I modified the shaft to accomplish this. I like the new electric starter they are advertising........kind of weird that they are coming out with this now and the heli seems to be on its way out. The only draw back I see it the weight it adds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in