Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Others

Others Walkera Other Models Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Walkera CB180Q "Orange Airwolf"

Has anybody purchased Walkera's new Airwolf model. CB180Q? It's orange in color, but no doubt it's Airwolf design.
I purchased their older Co-axial version a year ago and it didn't work too well. We sent it to Banana Models for repairs and never got it back. That was nearly six month's ago! Frustrated as hell!
I would like to replace it with this new one and put the properly painted Airwolf body on it.

Is this helicopter worth getting? I like everything about it except the colors. I've seen on YouTube where somebody swapped the Airwolf fuselage from the ugly orange one to the more appropriately gray/white shark one and it looked awesome.

Are these hard to fly? They are fixed pitch which is fine, but are they worth getting? As you know, I'm a big Airwolf fan and would love to have something small like this to fly around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Marcwolf,
These are just slightly more difficult to fly than a coax. Out of the box they are set up to be very tame - ideal for beginers. The cyclic control is very sluggish to begin with but there are some simple adjustments which transforms the heli into a nice little flyer.
I have the "D" version but I also have the Airwolf style body and the other parts necessary to turn it into a "Q". Like you, I do not like the orange and intend to paint the body in my own colour scheme before fitting.

There are some issues with regard to the longevity of the tail motor but this is a simple fix.

All in all, initially I was disappointed with this heli but have come to like it very much; nice and relaxing to fly compared to the HBFP for example and has potential for modding if you are so inclined.

Steve.
Stevespana is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

motor fix? please explain. i really want one, and it will stay orange. i love the color orange

is there a brushless setup out yet for it? that would put me over the edge on getting one.

ohla me amigo. sorry for my spelling. i lived in Espania for 2 years. Torrejone de Ardos. i was in the Air force stationed there. i'd love to visit again, and if cash flow allowed retire there. lovely country, and even better looking women. moie wappa chikas. sorry again.
cx2, mcx, T Rex 450 SA, GAUI 550, walkera cb100, 4#6, 4#6S, 4g6S, trex 450 clone, V911/FP100, DX7, DX8
never hold your farts in. they travel up your spine, and that's where s****y ideas come from.
shaggybirdman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thank you for your response Stevespana! I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Please post it here when you work on it.

Last edited by Varc; 12-13-2009 at 09:59 PM..
Varc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got a question. I've seen at Xheli's web site that there is another version of the Walkera Airwolf in question. This one is made from Exceed RC and comes in various colors including the proper black/white paint scheme. Is this model any good, or should I stick with the Walkera product and repaint that?
Old 12-14-2009, 02:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a rebadged Walkera.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thank's, I had the feeling it was. I noticed at the same web site, I can get the Walkera version which has the pretty alloy, AND I can get a spare "black" fuselage as well! So, I can easily have best of both worlds at a reasonable price.
That will save me the trouble of repainting the orange one, and I won't have to buy the "rebadged" version either.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

what site is that with the extra fuselage?
cx2, mcx, T Rex 450 SA, GAUI 550, walkera cb100, 4#6, 4#6S, 4g6S, trex 450 clone, V911/FP100, DX7, DX8
never hold your farts in. they travel up your spine, and that's where s****y ideas come from.
shaggybirdman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

http://www.xheli.com/50h28-43-black.html.
The only thing I'm not sure of at the moment is if it comes with all the body parts needed to complete it, or if it's just the basic fuselage its self.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'd like to put navigation light's on this helicopter when I get one. What's the best kit?
Also, I noticed the bird come with a three bladed tail-rotor? What's up with that? Can I replace it with a two bladed rotor from my Nine Eagles Kestrel 500? It's about the same size helicopter, so I think it would work. I just think it is so totally out of scale to have a three bladed tail on an Airwolf.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey guys! Well, for Xmas I got the black Airwolf fuselage I wanted for this helicopter, but I didn't get the helicopter! LOL! Luckily, I sold one of my RC cars so as soon as I receive payment, I'll be purchasing my CB180Q.

I have a question. I noticed that there seems to be two versions, well three if you include the clone.
But, the first version I saw, had an orange/goldish looking aluminum head as pictured here.
http://www.walkera.com/en1/particular.jsp?pn=Z4CB180Q
Now, there appears to be one with red aluminum head as pictured here.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/new4ch2waalw.html
Same bird, differently colored heads? Does anybody know what the difference is?
I prefer the red one over the orange/gold one. Is the red one more advanced?

I noticed the red one is called a "hybrid"?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Marcwolf,
The heads are identical apart from the colour. 180Q Airwolf version is normally supplied with an orange head to match the body. The 180D with red.
Personally I would prefer black or silver but those options don't esixt.

Hope this helps you.

Steve.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thank you, I couldn't tell the difference my self other than the colors. Anyway, payment for my car-sale came in so I went ahead with the purchase. Got the red-headed version which I think will suit the "black" Airwolf body much better. Now it's only a matter of time for Nitroplanes to process/ship the order. I opted for 2-day delivery since overnight was way too expensive.
Also placed an order with Tiny Brite Lights for a set of their small helicopter navigation light's. They said it's perfect for Blade CX2 so should be same for this helicopter. Looking forward to installing the lights on my fuselage.

Here is the fuselage I got for Christmas. Came with some dumb military stickers that I painstakingly removed last night. Now it look's more accurate!

I find these a bit stubby. Might have to make a new set when I can get some matching paint.
This is the sweetest, most accurately detailed Airwolf fuselage I have seen in a long time. I am very impressed with the work Walkera did on this fuselage and very glad they released the 180Q version of it.
A year ago I had their 54Q3 Coaxial Airwolf model which didn't fly well at all and wouldn't even pair with it's transmitter half the time. I hope this is far, far better.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I hope my CB180Q will be shipped out tomorrow. I should receive it Wednesday along with the LED's. As soon as helicopter arrives, I will take some pictures, do some test hovers/flights with it and write up a review. Upon successful flights and finding out the bird will be a joy to fly, I will begin the process of installing the lights on the fuselage, and swapping out the orange fuse for the black fuse. Would love to see a retract kit made for this! Now that would be sweet! LOL!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Got my helicopter in the mail today! Charged the batteries, will test fly it some time this weekend. Been a depressing week as we lost our dog Tuesday morning with no sign of him so far.
Will report what I think of this helicopter. So far, it is very beautiful and well made. Should be a nice flyer.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, I am proud to say that she fly's well! CB180Q is a very nice, very stable helicopter and a pleasure to hover around. I've yet to gone out side with her for forward flight. But I am confident this is a good helicopter. Here are some photo's of my new lady.
When I first received this, the tail-rotor was broken and my Dad did some clever repair work on it and I sense no vibrations and loss of tail-authority.

Since it arrived to me broken, Nitroplanes said they will replace the part free as soon as they get some in stock. Mean while, I've ordered replacement blades from WOW. WOW is a California based Walkera outlet center. Here's more pictures for your enjoyment.
Very beautiful head with BELL structure.

Gun's off on this one, mounted them on the "Black" Airwolf fuselage. So this is acting like a civilian version.

Here it is with the PROPER Airwolf fuselage with gun's. Still waiting on the navigation lights from Tiny Bright. As soon as they arrive, I will install them on the black fuse.
My plan is to fly this as is for a long time before doing the body swap. I want to make sure it's what I want and it'll make me happy. I had the co-axial version of this a year ago and it was junk. This so far is much better bird.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Video:
With hard landings, the battery tray will come loose, but battery stay's nice and put. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBSZihdjPVc[/ame]
Old 01-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey guys

I have the D version. I like ti alot, my first real heli.

I adjusted the "extent" more + to give me more servo throw, makes the heli much more responsive.

Here is a video of me practicing in my garage

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loU9-oYY6_4[/ame]

Also I did a Direct Drive motor on my heli, and motor heat sinks all from this site. The DD makes the helis tail much more controlable, and provides much faster forward flight, and the blade is more flexable then the stock one.
http://www.rtf-heli.com/WALKERA_CB180D.html

I will be adding fast blow fuses and a switch down the road, and getting the high performance blades, I hit my garage wall today and the blades just shattered.

Also light bar weights to get better flight response.

Other then that I really like this heli. ALOT, but I can only fly tail in right now lol.

Have fun guys
Hope you all like my video.
George
gagallagher04401 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thank's but I wanted to keep this thread strictly to this Airwolf model. Nice choice there though!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry...... but only difference is the plastic canopy. mods, and setups all apply to both, but sorry won't post in here again, got excited when I saw posts about the CB100Q/D. my bad.

Take care

George
gagallagher04401 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in