Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Gas

MA Gas Miniature Aircraft Gas Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Darby View Post
As for he TT bolts that hold the TT end to the TT I had one back out and cause a bunch of ancillary damage so now when I get done loctiteing them I also put a small piece of Heat shrink around the bolts so they can't back out period....
Thats a great idea! I used ca on my tt bolts but I like the heat shrink idea.
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice build Jeremy.
Trex 600 Gasser FBL | HeliXHeli conv. | OS GT15HZ | iKon | Homemade onboard generator
Azalin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
Nice build Jeremy.
Thanks Suat... shame it might end up being the last new build thread
Old 03-06-2014, 08:25 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default For posterity sake...

... a shot of how I laid out the generator components. Though not likely to be many future builders who need it for reference

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-06 21.16.32.jpg
Views:	1444
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	492789  
Old 03-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default RPM Telemetry fix

Ok, so when I built the heli I made use of the 14SGs telemetry capability to get headspeed at the Transmitter, using an SBS-01RM sensor Y-harnessed to the stator gator.

With the voltage trick this works great, but the limitation is that its reading motor RPM, just like the governor... so in situations you would really like to know true headspeed - during an auto for example - it isn't usable. Raja has been pushing me to switch this - and with good reason. So tonight I gave it a try.

Setting this up is not hard to do of course, we will just be using the magnet and hall pickup setup like a nitro, and between the GV1s and SBS I have 3 spare hall pickups.

The tricky part... where to put the magnet? Raja was thinking use a collar on the shaft. I ordered a 10mm MA collar but looking at it, its hardened steel and Id have to drill the circumference of it for the magnet and it could easily let go like a bullet. So I decided to try plan B - mount it in the main gear. This way I could face mount it and the centrifugal force would just be pressing the magnet against the side of the hole its in, not trying to fling it out.

Mounting the magnets was not hard. To maintain the strength of the gear and give a good location for the senor I decided to mount it on the bottom in the thickest part of a spoke, but not too close to the teeth. I pulled the shaft and removed the gear, then made up a jig for the drill press so I could mount two magnets identically spaced at 180 degrees. Using 2 magnets should hopefully maintain the balance of the gear.

I drilled a couple of shallow 3/16 holes, just deep enough for the magnets to sit flush, and secured them with 30 minute epoxy. I dont think epoxy (or any glue) really bonds well to delrin, so fingers crossed this works!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-03-13 19.18.59.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	494345  

Last edited by jharkin; 03-13-2014 at 07:58 PM..
jharkin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Next up is to mount the sensors. Having a spare GV1 around (destined for my Helix build) was helpful so I could test which side of the magnet gave a reading and get the sensor located right.

Plan is to mount the sensor below the gear on the muffler side and then run the wire around the clutch and up to the front gyro plate where the SBS is.

So far so good. I put the maingear in temporarily with a spare mainshaft and spun it around as I checked the readings on the GV1. Im getting over 90% on both magnets so the location looks good. Im gooping it in place first (held to dry with some tape), and then once the glue is dry I will pull the gear, drill and add a small screw and lockout as a safety precaution.

I also picked this spot because if it ever did come loose and caught in the mmaingear it would get thrown out against the canopy and not dragged into the frame to potentially jam things up.

Once I get it all back together I'll switch the SBS over and we will be able to try it out on the TX. IF this works we will be able to watch headspeed during autos (with a helper of course) and might be able to do some cool things like set a low RPM alarm to warn you before blade scatter. I might even play around with the new voice telemetry function in the latest update.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-03-13 19.19.18.jpg
Views:	959
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	494346   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-13 19.32.25.jpg
Views:	1293
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	494347  
Old 03-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, so still not trusting those magnets just glued into delrin, and not wanting to risk stripping some irreplacable gears or causing a crash if it let go in flight, I devised a test. I bolted the gear to a spare mainshaft and chucked it into the drill press with the belt on the middle speed which is 1720rpm.

Wore goggles and put up a makeshift guard just in case it let go and shot that magnet like a BB, then gave it a spin...

And as it turns out, everything worked just fine. Magnets didnt go anywhere and there doesnt seem to be any vibration indicating its out of balance.

We shall see what happens in the heli....

Meanwhile I got the sensor gooped in, added one bolt for safety and routed the wire back up to the RX. I pulled the tank to make this easier and good thing since I found yet another wire/vibration issue (im having bad luck with wiring). I had run the power lead from the switch and the lead for LED headlight around the front of the tank and up under the battery tray plate to the gyro plate. Well, they where pinched against one of the aluminum frame spacers by the tank and the vibration was rubbing through the wire.Luckily they where wrapped so only the sheath was damaged. I'll have to re-route things again.

Anyway, its all wired up and ready for a test run.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-03-14 14.15.26.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	494758   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-14 15.54.14.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	494759  
Old 03-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default And we are done!

Well, got everything put back together, reset the gear ratio in the telemetry to 2.0 and spun the head by hand and we have a reading. project done, and we will now get headspeed readings during autos

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-03-16 19.22.56.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	495073  
Old 03-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default That looks great Jeremy!

The only thing I'm worried about is that you mentioned 3 posts up that you read 90 something percent on both magnets. You should read 90 something on one and 2 to 3 percent on the other. If not you have to flip the magnet otherwise you will get double the rpm readings.

Looking forward to some flipping autos with your machine to see what rpms I maneuver at

-=>Raja.
Jewel on-board Generators, Miniature Aircraft Team Manager
rbort is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbort View Post
The only thing I'm worried about is that you mentioned 3 posts up that you read 90 something percent on both magnets. You should read 90 something on one and 2 to 3 percent on the other. If not you have to flip the magnet otherwise you will get double the rpm readings.

Looking forward to some flipping autos with your machine to see what rpms I maneuver at

-=>Raja.

Yes, I did mount both magnets the same way... The telemetry menu in the TX has a gear ratio option same as GV1 and it let me set it to 2.0 to account for the 2 magnets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in