Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Turbine Helicopters

Turbine Helicopters Turbine R/C Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the update! Did you use your MUI30 as a reference for setting the fuel pump factor or UAT level? I'm just wondering what the best approach would be for those of us without the MUI30 setup.
flymustangs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Adjusting the fuel pump factor was certainly easier since I already had the calibrated MUI30 as a reference. When the MUI30 reaches 70mah I know the main tanks are nearly dry-- so it was a simple matter to adjust the fuel pump factor such that the Xicoy module reached 0% remaining at the same time the MUI30 reached 70mah.

However, it wouldn't be too hard to adjust it off both a timer and also monitoring when the UAT fuel level starts to drop. If you normally fly 10 minutes, fly until the Xicoy module shows 50% remaining and compare the time. Then it's simple math to figure out what the next adjustment on the fuel pump factor needs to be and it should get you extremely close.

I started by adjusting the fuel tank capacity to 1200mL (the Magnum 44 uses twin 600mL bottles plus the UAT) but left the fuel pump factor at the default value of 400. I started the heli and flew and noted the mah reported by the MUI30 at 50% remaining on the Xicoy. After landing a little math for a correction factor, adjusted the pump factor to 78 for the next flight. Refueled and test flew and 78 pump factor was extremely close. For the next flight I did a minor adjustment to 75 pump factor and after flying confirmed it was right on. Now the Xicoy reports 0% within +/- 5 seconds of the MUI30 reading 70mah. The MUI30 has the coarser resolution as it only reports to 1mah.
Jeti DC-16

Last edited by Kiba; 01-06-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Kiba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I received my Xicoy telemetry interface yesterday. It's about half to two thirds the size of the one I built plus it has the fuel used function. No brainer on going with it over mine.

Now I just need to start building the heli. I'm hoping the shop will be done this weekend. Of course, I'm also working on a 40% IMAC plane (from a kit) and need to do some work on my new trailer for the flying season. I would retire so I would have more time, but then I wouldn't have the funds to buy all this stuff.
flymustangs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just ordered a Xicoy V10 ECU for my turbine from Wren. As my MW44 was one of the early versions with the Digitech branded ECU. I can then join you guys and add the Xicoy telemetry Interface when i switch the heli over to my Jeti DS16.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDragon View Post
OK. Did a little research and found for around $290 you can get everything you need: ie. the adapter from xicoy that plugs into the 10V FADEC ($50.00), this then plugs into the Telemetry RX (Jeti Duplex 7 channels $79) then you get the Jeti Profi that wirelessly grabs the signal from the RX and displays it. It's $160 from Jeti.

$290 is actually a lot cheaper than the older system I used from EagleTree... that was around $490-$550 and was 900 mhz. This system is 2.43 mhz.

So I'm tempted to get it for the ECU info and the ability to calculate how much fuel is left on the fly (no pun intended, but it works). Maybe get a RPM sensor for rotor speed. Used to setup my throttle curve with it.
Hi, even if I use Futaba rx and T14MZ, I'm considering to use Xicoy Telemetry Module + Jeti Profi system to grab and display the data.

Now, I still do not understand if Jeti Profi is enough : I see that Jeti Profi is composed by Data Terminal Display + a satellite receiver. Is this satellite enough and is this where I have to connect the output od Xicoy Telemetry module ? Or I need also an additional Jeti Rx to connect the satellite receiver to ?

Thank you for any clarification

Regards
Denis Ferrari
T-Rex100,T-Rex150,T-Rex250 Hughes500E,T-Rex250 SE, T-Rex450,T-Rex450 AgustaA109,T-Rex450 Hughes 500E, T-Rex450 Ecureuil,T-Rex500 EC135, T-Rex600E A-Star Ecureuil,T-Rex600E PRO,T-Rex 700N,T-Rex 700E F3C,T-Rex 700E A109 Power,Raptor 90 3D,T-Rex 744 JET
DenisFerrari is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Satellite is all you need Denis! Not sure where you are but in the US, the new 3-ch is the way to go; outside the US get the Rsat2. The receiver will automatically give you receiver voltage telemetry and then you can plug the Xicoy module into the external port on the satellite (receiver). If you ever want more data modules (RPM, etc.) you can add a telemetry multiplexer module.

The Xicoy telemetry interface is flawless! Plug it in and it automatically goes to work and all of the data magically appears in my transmitter. Like Kiba explained earlier, you can even bring up the Jetibox page to watch the start-up sequence in place of the FADEC data terminal. I put it on permanent display on the second telemetry page.

Even though my Jeti transmitter logs all the data during every flight, I actually have a Profi box as well since it allows me to hand it off to a flying buddy if I want to monitor multiple parameters in real time; especially useful when maidening a brand new heli. The great thing about the Profi box is that it binds to each model individually and automatically switches to the custom display setup for that model.

BTW: just to add to the database, my 44 uses the previous smaller fuel pump (don't remember the model number) that came with the earlier set ups. My fuel calibration telemetry value optimized at 60 which dials it in perfectly. The pump starts sucking air and dropping the UAT level at exactly 0% remaining. I programmed the vertical transmitter gyro to voice the fuel % remaining in flight and then set a 15% alarm for good measure. I still run a timer as well because old habits are very hard to break the older you get... Yes, I'm referring to you young'uns Kiba!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey, I run a timer too... that's how I started with my 44. I still run a timer on my electrics with a Mezon and capacity telemetry because the timer is a nice backup just in case something goes wrong with the telemetry.
Jeti DC-16
Old 01-26-2014, 11:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
Hey, I run a timer too... that's how I started with my 44. I still run a timer on my electrics with a Mezon and capacity telemetry because the timer is a nice backup just in case something goes wrong with the telemetry.
You know I was just giving you a hard time Kiba! You've been an amazing resource to the Jeti, Bergen, and Turbine forums. BTW: put two flights on the new bird yesterday. Fun!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:02 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice!

You still owe me a weight and pictures.
Jeti DC-16
Old 01-27-2014, 01:58 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane View Post
BTW: just to add to the database, my 44 uses the previous smaller fuel pump (don't remember the model number) that came with the earlier set ups. My fuel calibration telemetry value optimized at 60 which dials it in perfectly. The pump starts sucking air and dropping the UAT level at exactly 0% remaining. I programmed the vertical transmitter gyro to voice the fuel % remaining in flight and then set a 15% alarm for good measure. I still run a timer as well because old habits are very hard to break the older you get... Yes, I'm referring to you young'uns Kiba!
Thats good to know as my 44 still uses the earlier pump, how much fuel do you carry? For info the earlier pump is a Flightworks 100C.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:12 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane View Post
Satellite is all you need Denis! Not sure where you are but in the US, the new 3-ch is the way to go; outside the US get the Rsat2. The receiver will automatically give you receiver voltage telemetry and then you can plug the Xicoy module into the external port on the satellite (receiver). If you ever want more data modules (RPM, etc.) you can add a telemetry multiplexer module.

The Xicoy telemetry interface is flawless! Plug it in and it automatically goes to work and all of the data magically appears in my transmitter. Like Kiba explained earlier, you can even bring up the Jetibox page to watch the start-up sequence in place of the FADEC data terminal. I put it on permanent display on the second telemetry page.

Even though my Jeti transmitter logs all the data during every flight, I actually have a Profi box as well since it allows me to hand it off to a flying buddy if I want to monitor multiple parameters in real time; especially useful when maidening a brand new heli. The great thing about the Profi box is that it binds to each model individually and automatically switches to the custom display setup for that model.

Hello, so - if I got you right - I need only the Jeti Profi kit, that is composed by Jeti Terminal Display (with buttons etc.) and the satellite. So, I will have simply connect Xicoy telemetry interface from FADEC to this satellite and I'm ok.

Is this right ?

Then, I live in Italy. I use Futaba rx and T14MZ as tx, for this reason I would like to just add Jeti Profi kit + Xicoy telemetry interface for telemtry pourpuses only, being independent by the tx and rx system I have.

Will I see on the Jeti Box the same XIcoy Data Terminal pages, like you see in your Jeti transimtter display?

Thank you again!

Kind regards
Denis
T-Rex100,T-Rex150,T-Rex250 Hughes500E,T-Rex250 SE, T-Rex450,T-Rex450 AgustaA109,T-Rex450 Hughes 500E, T-Rex450 Ecureuil,T-Rex500 EC135, T-Rex600E A-Star Ecureuil,T-Rex600E PRO,T-Rex 700N,T-Rex 700E F3C,T-Rex 700E A109 Power,Raptor 90 3D,T-Rex 744 JET
Old 01-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisFerrari View Post
Hello, so - if I got you right - I need only the Jeti Profi kit, that is composed by Jeti Terminal Display (with buttons etc.) and the satellite. So, I will have simply connect Xicoy telemetry interface from FADEC to this satellite and I'm ok.

Is this right ?
I'm not directly familiar with the kit but if it comes with an Rsat2 or similar, that's right.

Quote:
Will I see on the Jeti Box the same XIcoy Data Terminal pages, like you see in your Jeti transimtter display?
I'm not sure about this one. I don't remember seeing "Jetibox" pop up in the Profi menu as a display option but I could play with it a bit more tonight.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
Nice!

You still owe me a weight and pictures.
Complete thread with detailed photos and description coming! Teaser below. Very lame flying but it was nearly dark (hard to tell in the video), only the 2nd flight, and as you know I'm not a great pilot. My apology in advance for the "off topic."

Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question

Hello,
other "stupid" question :
are there any problems in adding a Jety satellite rx close to an already existing Futaba 2.4 Ghz rx system ? I mean, any risk of interference or problems between them ?

Of course I'll keep flying my model with 14MZ + Futaba 2.4Ghz rx ; but - for complete Xicoy telemetry - I'm considering to add Xicoy Telemetry module + Jeti Profi Box system, thus I'm just wondering if both rx on the model could generate any reliability problem on the main radio system.

Thank you
Regards
Denis
Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hello,
are there any problems in adding a Jety satellite rx close to an already existing Futaba 2.4 Ghz rx system ? I mean, any risk of interference or problems between them ?

Of course I'll keep flying my model with 14MZ + Futaba 2.4Ghz rx ; but - for complete Xicoy telemetry - I'm considering to add Xicoy Telemetry module + Jeti Profi Box system, thus I'm just wondering if both rx on the model could generate any reliability problem on the main radio system.
Good question and I don't know the answer for sure. The Jeti receiver is of course also a telemetry transmitter. I suspect the answer is that as long as the antennas are well separated on the aircraft, it shouldn't be a problem.

On a related note, I asked the Esprit/Jeti guys a similar question at the AMA show earlier this month. They were using a Bluetooth dongle (also 2.5GHz) to transmit the audio out from the transmitter to a separate powered speaker. I wondered whether it could cause interference with the primary radio control signal in actual use but they thought not.

Last edited by cbdane; 01-27-2014 at 11:48 PM..
cbdane is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've found a slight limitation with the Jeti TX alarms and the Xicoy telemetry when I tried to migrate my flameout alarms over from the fuel pump current sensor (I < 0.2A) to the Xicoy telemetry, specifically RPM...

Say you want to set a "flameout" alarm for RPM < 140000 in your normal flight modes to give you a near-instant alert should the turbine flameout; unfortunately the maximum value in the alarm parameter field on the Jeti TX is 32000.

Granted, given the rather rapid spool down time of one of these small turbines when they go cold we may only be talking a 2-3 second delay in the alarm triggering at rpm < 32000 compared to rpm < 140000. However, that 2-3 second delay the turbine might take to reach 32000 rpm and trigger the alarm might be the difference between a successful auto or a failed auto.

I ended up leaving the flameout alarm triggered by fuel pump current < 0.2A while in flight mode-- the instant the fuel pump shuts down the flameout alarm triggers. This could be duplicated with the Xicoy module by linking a flameout alarm to the fuel pump voltage parameter; simply set the alarm threshold to trigger if the pump voltage falls below the pump voltage at idle.
Jeti DC-16
Old 02-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Telemetry device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieheliguy View Post
Anybody heard when it will talk to Sbus2?
Hello,
If you are looking for an equivalent for Futaba, running for Jetcats, Xicoy or ProJET based turbines, Look here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...bine-ecus.html
WhiteBox and Google Earth (1 min 12 sec)

Connecting WhiteBox Xicoy ECU (4 min 12 sec)

And don't hesitate to contact me for any further info
daniel-arg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 05:20 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Telemetry box for Futaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieheliguy View Post
Anybody heard when it will talk to Sbus2?
Hello

For those who are looking for a turbine telemetry device for Futaba, please look at the following links

https://sites.google.com/site/wbtele...-it-looks-like
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...bine-ecus.html

This one is in French
http://www.kerostart.com/viewtopic.p...=2&f=26&t=3111

It works on JetCat, And any other turbine based on Xicoy v10 ECU, or ProJET Hornet III ECU.

Don't hesitate to contact me for any further info.
daniel-arg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hello,
Unlikely, they are both spread spectrum transmitters so to each other they should both appear to be low intensity noise.

A range test would confirm, but I doubt there would be any problems. I have a jeti RSAT2 within 10cm of my 2 spektrum sats on 2 helis, no change in range test performance and no issues in the air.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 02:59 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Unlikely, they are both spread spectrum transmitters so to each other they should both appear to be low intensity noise.

A range test would confirm, but I doubt there would be any problems. I have a jeti RSAT2 within 10cm of my 2 spektrum sats on 2 helis, no change in range test performance and no issues in the air.
Ok, interesting. Thank you!

I think too that they "should not" interfere each other....but little doubt is still there...

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in