Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Servos

Merry Christmas to all!
I've decided to take out an old Christmas present I bought myself years ago on this Christmas. Ye Ole SR. What a beauty.
I have come to the realization that I need a new servo suite for it. My one servo is beginning to fail.
So I wanted to ask the helifreak SR Universe what would be some good replacement servos to consider?
I have two SRs and both will be shelf queens for a long time. Hopefully forever. I want to replace the stock servos on both SRs.
What I would like to do is know what are a set of economical, yet reliable servos to consider, from perhaps Hobbyking, that are known to work well with the SR and would fail after a handful of flights, and what is another set of servos to consider that will last me forever and are top performing, such as some from Hitec? All compatible with the stock components and are known to work well with the SR.
Thanks for the help in advance, and Merry Christmas to all !
Usman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Merry Christmas to all! A good set of servos that I have on my SR are the Emax ES08MD's. They are metal geared, digital servos that are very reliable and work real well. Also inexpensive. You can get a set of 4 on EBay for around $22. Here is the link.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-EMAX-ES08...450?nav=SEARCH

Another guy here on HF uses the Emax ES09MD's. They are about the same as the 08's bit a bit faster and a few dollars more.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/4-Pcs-EMAX-ES0...239?nav=SEARCH

Both the ES08MD's and the ES09MD's work great, are reliable and are affordable.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

o that's great to know. perfect. thank you soo much for supplying that information. im going to get a set.
just in case they draw more power than what is being drawn now, do you think I should get one of these ?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Racers-E...4AAOSwe-FU9lXI
also, for my other sr that I want to take the hitec route, which hitec servo would be great to have?
merry Christmas to all and a happy new year!
Old 12-26-2015, 05:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usman View Post
o that's great to know. perfect. thank you soo much for supplying that information. im going to get a set.
just in case they draw more power than what is being drawn now, do you think I should get one of these ?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Racers-E...4AAOSwe-FU9lXI
also, for my other sr that I want to take the hitec route, which hitec servo would be great to have?
merry Christmas to all and a happy new year!
I really don't think the glitch buster is necessary. They are mostly for high voltage applications. They store power for when there is a heavy load a short burst of power is available and makes things easier on your ESC. The EMax servos are very similar to the stock Spektrum servos as far as voltages goes. They really don't need a capacitor.

These Hitec HS-65 servos should work pretty good. But, they are a good bit more expensive and don't have metal gears, they are Karbonite gears which are stronger than regular plastic gears but not as strong as metal gears. They are nice and slim and light and will fit good in the SR.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1451130457453
Old 12-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can get the metal gear hitec servo's, and probably around the same price, I have hitec on my stock SR and this belt project I have going.
I'd recommend doing what kla912000 recommends though. Those EMax servos are pretty tough. I run the 09's on my 450 and they work great on that size. But I think they may be too big for the SR.
I used to run Turnigy servos also, although I cannot remember the model, but they were metal gear and digital. They worked great also.
500 Pro DFC
nighttrain06 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2015, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the input everyone. I guess I cant go wrong with those emax servos, ill have to try them out.
Besides the stronger gears, hopefully the emax servos wont die out, or wear/ fry - just stop working- like some of my stock servos have.
The SR will soar once again !
Old 12-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for all the input everyone. I guess I cant go wrong with those emax servos, ill have to try them out.
Besides the stronger gears, hopefully the emax servos wont die out, or wear/ fry - just stop working- like some of my stock servos have.
The SR will soar once again !
Good deal be sure to let us know how it goes! Good to see ya on the board again!
500 Pro DFC
Old 12-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain06 View Post
You can get the metal gear hitec servo's, and probably around the same price, I have hitec on my stock SR and this belt project I have going.
I'd recommend doing what kla912000 recommends though. Those EMax servos are pretty tough. I run the 09's on my 450 and they work great on that size. But I think they may be too big for the SR.
I used to run Turnigy servos also, although I cannot remember the model, but they were metal gear and digital. They worked great also.
I think I've mentioned it before, but, the Emax ES09MD's will fit on the SR. I have the 08's on my SR and they are the same size as the 09's. They are tight but they do fit. All that you have to do is take apart the plastic servo mounts and put it all back together with the servos one at a time.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kla912000 View Post
I think I've mentioned it before, but, the Emax ES09MD's will fit on the SR. I have the 08's on my SR and they are the same size as the 09's. They are tight but they do fit. All that you have to do is take apart the plastic servo mounts and put it all back together with the servos one at a time.
Ah ok, I just kinda eyeballed them, the way it looked, it seemed they would stick out too much causing the links to stick out on the bottom.
But if your running the 08's and they are the same then they should fit.
500 Pro DFC
Old 12-28-2015, 03:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain06 View Post
Ah ok, I just kinda eyeballed them, the way it looked, it seemed they would stick out too much causing the links to stick out on the bottom.
But if your running the 08's and they are the same then they should fit.
Yep, the 08's fit fine and work great so there shouldn't be a problem installing the 09's in the SR. It will be tight but if you do it the way I explained then there won't be a problem.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think this is a stupid question, but im going to ask anyways; would it be alright to upgrade all 3 servos to some ds76 eflite ones? and if so, would there need to be any other changes made anywhere?
I did order some of those 08s to try out !
Old 01-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I think this is a stupid question, but im going to ask anyways; would it be alright to upgrade all 3 servos to some ds76 eflite ones? and if so, would there need to be any other changes made anywhere?
Not a Stupid question...Yes you can use those servos also, in fact a guy that used to be on here did use those servos! They work fine!
500 Pro DFC
Old 01-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Old 01-16-2016, 09:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The Emax ES08MD servos are a bit of a tight fit. But if you install them the right way there isn't a problem. What I did is after you take the old servos out take the plastic mounts apart for the 2 back servos that are stacked on top of each other, then put the bottom servo into the plastic mount, screw the mount back into the frame, then do the same for the top servo. AFTER you get both in to the frame you can screw the servos to the mounts. Like I said, its a bit tight but if you do it this way they fit pretty good. PM me if you have any other questions or need help. The Emax ES08MD's work great on my SR and also have a set on my HK250. They work great on my 250 also. You should be pretty happy with them.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the help. When they arrive, ill install them in the fashion you described. I appreciate the help
Old 01-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is off topic, but I want to ask here.
I want to use the SR HUEY tail that I built from all the parts its made of and try flying it on my sr. ive installed the new sr huey tail but want to make sure I do things right. is it so that I need to change something in the reverse menu of my dx6i or do I actually want to solder my tail motor wire so that the positive is soldered to the black wire and vice versa?
Old 01-19-2016, 11:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
This is off topic, but I want to ask here.
I want to use the SR HUEY tail that I built from all the parts its made of and try flying it on my sr. ive installed the new sr huey tail but want to make sure I do things right. is it so that I need to change something in the reverse menu of my dx6i or do I actually want to solder my tail motor wire so that the positive is soldered to the black wire and vice versa?
A simple way is to just gently pry up the clip on the red JST connector tail motor side, and swap the wires around.....
500 Pro DFC
Old 01-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

alright sounds good considering I already soldered the tail motor wire accordingly, thanks for the tip!
Old 01-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
alright sounds good considering I already soldered the tail motor wire accordingly, thanks for the tip!
Welcome!
500 Pro DFC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in