Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default TRex 700E, alarm issues

On my Trex 700, when I power it up, there is an alarm that sounds like it coming from the 3 cyclic servo area. It's not the ESC (Castle), not the 720.

My rear center servo apparently has a bad gear which I found after checking the unit out.

I just don't know where the alarm is coming from, all functions work, but the Helo won't spin up. All lights are green, I know the process of taking off.

I am stumped on this one, I will put a gear kit in the 700 tonight. But I though it should still spool up even with a bad servo DS615.

Anyone run into this?
Dennis
TRex700MRX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex700MRX View Post
On my Trex 700, when I power it up, there is an alarm that sounds like it coming from the 3 cyclic servo area. It's not the ESC (Castle), not the 720.

My rear center servo apparently has a bad gear which I found after checking the unit out.

I just don't know where the alarm is coming from, all functions work, but the Helo won't spin up. All lights are green, I know the process of taking off.

I am stumped on this one, I will put a gear kit in the 700 tonight. But I though it should still spool up even with a bad servo DS615.

Anyone run into this?
Dennis
Dennis, the HC3SX/BD3SX only passes the throttle signals through, the only warning you will get from the FBL will be blinking or solid colored LED on the unit and won't give you any warning for throttle. The warnings from the esc will come from the motor. Make sure that your TC isn't zeroed so the esc won't arm, check your TCs. I would definitely be checking the ESC, does the motor turn freely as normal, main shaft not locked up. The cyclics won't have any affect on ESC arming and motor spool up. You're just going to have to go through one item at a time, double check everything.

Last edited by KSHeli; 02-06-2017 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: minor
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

i wonder if its a timing issue or a bad solder joint on the motor/esc ? they will make a squealing noise if something wrong, if its this , dont let it do it too long ,can burn stuff up ..
Dennis Everett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Everett View Post
i wonder if its a timing issue or a bad solder joint on the motor/esc ? they will make a squealing noise if something wrong, if its this , dont let it do it too long ,can burn stuff up ..
It was an audible alarm coming from the cyclic servo area (DS615's), About 6 beeps with a pause. That's when I noticed the rear servo acting funny, the more I played with it, the worse it got. I know I have to put a gear kit in it. Otherwise, I don't have a clue as there is nothing else there the alarm can come from. I had the unit up to my ear.

Dennis
Old 02-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It was an audible alarm coming from the cyclic servo area (DS615's), About 6 beeps with a pause. That's when I noticed the rear servo acting funny, the more I played with it, the worse it got. I know I have to put a gear kit in it. Otherwise, I don't have a clue as there is nothing else there the alarm can come from. I had the unit up to my ear.

Dennis
I've never had ds615 servos or servos that sounded an audibe alarm. Still suspect esc/motor.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

if you know its from the servos and you know one is bad.. change them.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
if you know its from the servos and you know one is bad.. change them
I am changing the gear kits out, or I will change the servo out if necessary.

I don't know if the alarm came from the servo's, I thought it was the ESC (Castle), Again, I put my ear right next the the frame, and whatever is sending the alarm is in the servo area.

I will find it, just seeing everyone's opinion, it's strange.

Dennis
Old 02-08-2017, 04:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
does the motor turn freely as normal, main shaft not locked up.
Yes, the motor spins freely. It does not respond to the transmitter. When changing modes, it will jump a little, that's all.

Dennis
Old 02-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes, the motor spins freely. It does not respond to the transmitter. When changing modes, it will jump a little, that's all.

Dennis
Does your ESC go through its normal arming sequence on power-up? If not you might try re-binding and then verify throttle ATV's.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Does your ESC go through its normal arming sequence on power-up? If not you might try re-binding and then verify throttle ATV's.
I don't ever remember binding the Castle ESC. I will have to look this up. I have the Castle Link and set the parameters to my preference!

Thanks, Dennis
Old 02-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I don't ever remember binding the Castle ESC. I will have to look this up. I have the Castle Link and set the parameters to my preference!

Thanks, Dennis
After you set up your model its always a good idea to re-bind/relink your model.
You not binding the ESC, but you need to establish zero throttle endpoint or at least make sure your ESC sees your Tx 0 stick. If you haven't set the low throttle endpoint so that the ESC sees 0 (zero) throttle it then the ESC can't arm. This may be the problem. You can go on YouTube and find CC Throttle calibration videos, just follow their instructions.

Last edited by KSHeli; 02-08-2017 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: added; 1st sentence and 0 (zero) throttle
Old 02-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Thanks, Dennis
After you set up your model its always a good idea to re-bind/relink your model.
If you haven't set the low throttle endpoint so that the ESC sees it then the ESC can't arm. This may be the problem. You can go on YouTube and find CC Throttle calibration videos, just follow their instructions.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I put a gear set in the Center Servo, works great.

YOU ARE CORRECT, it's the MOTOR!

You can actually feel pulses in the motor when it's beeping.

Sometimes it's 1 beep, pause, then 3 beeps.

Next time it's 2 beeps, pause, 2 beeps

Another time it was: 1 beep, pause, then 3 beeps

All beeps are continuous, non stop.

I have search all over for an answer. I have reset, recalibrated, and anything else I could find that's related.

It was working great and Sunday I plugged it up and it started doing this.

I guess I will call Castle tomorrow.

It's a Castle Edge 120 HV

Dennis
Old 02-09-2017, 10:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

For the record, all the below has been done.

This model was working flawlessly. Sunday I plugged it up and this problem appeared. I have no clue what happened.

Quote:
If you haven't set the low throttle endpoint so that the ESC sees it then the ESC can't arm. This may be the problem. You can go on YouTube and find CC Throttle calibration videos, just follow their instructions.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
For the record, all the below has been done.

This model was working flawlessly. Sunday I plugged it up and this problem appeared. I have no clue what happened.
Most likely it's the ESC then, the ESC sends it's signals through the motor, CC will get back to you. I hope it's a minor issue for you.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Most likely it's the ESC then, the ESC sends it's signals through the motor, CC will get back to you. I hope it's a minor issue for you.
ESC's just decide to go out like this?

Dennis
Old 02-10-2017, 07:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
ESC's just decide to go out like this?

Dennis
Its electronic dealing with a lot o V's and A's let's see what CC has to say.

Last edited by KSHeli; 02-10-2017 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: I hate thia auto correct.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK
Old 02-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am somewhat embarrassed. I called Castle today and they were more than helpful.

He listened to the beeping alarm on the phone and knew where to check. The ESC was trying to communicate with the motor, but the motor was detecting full throttle!

Somewhere, somehow, the polarity was switched. I am not quite sure where, it could be the Skookum, or it could be my radio.

After reversing the throttle on the radio, and checking everything in the Castle, the motor will spool up now. All functions are operating normally, except the Skookum software.

But it's not right as my Skookum data switch now shows the throttle reversed! I have not figure out how to correct this.

I didn't make any adjustments other than to my throttle curve. The reverse switch is in a different area on the JR9503.

Now I have to figure out why the Skookum is now reading backwards. I was thinking about just starting up with a new model as it's really not that hard, but I would like to correct it through the Skookum 720 first.

Thanks, Dennis, and let me know if you have an idea of the new issue now.
Thanks to all who have helped, I just have to figure out the collective and throttle being backwards now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in