Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters

700 Class Nitro Helicopters 700 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Upgrading my 700N

Hi! I fly the Trex 700 Nitro 3G version, it flies well but everytime I crash it. Its a nightmare to get parts for it from around here, also I use a regulator for that to power the servos can't remember what I use. so I guess its time to purchase a 700N DFC kit. Now i want to put all nice components upon building this. Here's my list:

Blades: Align Blades that will be coming w/ the kit
Engine: OS 105Hz
Muffler: OS powerboost pipe
Cyclic servo: BK8002HV
Tail servo: BK8005HV
Throttle servo: BK8002HV
Fbl: Ikon
Rx: 2 satellites
Gov sensor: engine back plate mount or magnets sensor?
Glow starter: switch glo pro
2S lipo: pulse 2s rx

Questions, is it okay to use 2 satellites for this set up and this kind of heli? Because what I had with my T700N 3g is the standard rx. And what's better for gove sensor? I'll be using the fbl's gov so please help with this too. If i'm missing something please let me know. I aim to have a nitro that's capable of running High voltage set up I dont know what do i need really haha. So please someone help me, any inputs would be highly appreciated.
AdrianXD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds good to me... 2 sats will work just fine
Old 02-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's a bunch of options here, but the satellites will work fine as long as you install them correctly as far as placement and orientation.

The switch glow pro is good, I use the protek tru glow, but you should also look into the perfect regulators unit which is also a fail safe switch.

http://www.perfectregulators.com/Safe-Switch-Duo-Pro-V2

The backplate sensors work well, I prefer the main gear magnets, just so I don't have an extra wire going to the engine when it's time to pull it.

The rest looks good.
GAUI NX7, TREX 600N, Goblin 570, Gaui X3L, DX7G2, AMA#970963 Citizen 420
907Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 06:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907Heli View Post
There's a bunch of options here, but the satellites will work fine as long as you install them correctly as far as placement and orientation.

The switch glow pro is good, I use the protek tru glow, but you should also look into the perfect regulators unit which is also a fail safe switch.

http://www.perfectregulators.com/Safe-Switch-Duo-Pro-V2

The backplate sensors work well, I prefer the main gear magnets, just so I don't have an extra wire going to the engine when it's time to pull it.

The rest looks good.
as far as placement what do you mean by this? do I need to place the 2 sats away from each other? I know that I suppose to place one vertically and one horizontally for maximum range right? do I get in trouble by placing them pretty close to each other? will there be interference? Is perfect regulators unit an another option to power the electronics?
Old 02-08-2017, 06:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locktite View Post
Sounds good to me... 2 sats will work just fine
I use the gryphon lite on my Trex 700N 3g now, I think this can't handle HV servos so I wanted to upgrade this as well.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXD View Post
as far as placement what do you mean by this? do I need to place the 2 sats away from each other? I know that I suppose to place one vertically and one horizontally for maximum range right? do I get in trouble by placing them pretty close to each other? will there be interference? Is perfect regulators unit an another option to power the electronics?
Close to each other doesn't matter if they are 90 to each other. I usually place one low on the heli side frame and the other up high laying flat on a plate with the antennae 90 to the boom. never had any problems with this.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

One satellite on each side, I run one up front and one on the back, (what would be the point if they're right next to each other) and orientation the antenna properly like you described.

High voltage servos will run on 6 volts, the difference is that they're capable of handling more which helps them be stronger and faster, but also eliminates the need for a regulator at all. I run a straight 2s battery on my 600n. Yo could eliminate the gryphon completely and run the switch glow pro, the only reason I mention the duo pro is because it's a fail safe power switch which is nice but also the glow ignitor which for me is a must have. I really like my pro tek unit but I don't have a switch so I have to remove the canopy and unplug the battery each time.
GAUI NX7, TREX 600N, Goblin 570, Gaui X3L, DX7G2, AMA#970963 Citizen 420
907Heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
One satellite on each side, I run one up front and one on the back, (what would be the point if they're right next to each other) and orientation the antenna properly like you described.
On a heli I'd separate as you stated, but the op only asked if it was possible.
KSHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Farther apart is generally better for the satellites, but it's less important than orientation/visibility. Horizonal/vertical doesn't matter so much as antennas 90 degrees to each other. You also want to ensure there are no orientations where you can't see at least one antenna without the CF frame between the radio and the antenna. Also you don't want antennas running along CF, in clear air is far better.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the question of the iKON - buy a new iKON 2 or Brain 2.
That gives you parameter logging and telemetry options that will never be added to the iKON 1 / Brain 1.

I would also suggest the HD / BT version rather than a standard Brain 2 / iKON 2. This allows you to use a 2S LiPo wired directly to the Brain 2 / iKON 2 with a heavy duty connector and wires, includes a "fail on" on/off switch and Bluetooth access for a BT Enabled Windows PC (for real time vibration analysis and programming), Android and iOS (Apple i-devices) programming.

You may also want to look at the AR8010T as the receiver.
That supports up to 3 DSMX sats + 1 internal DSMX (4 RX total). But it connects to the iKON 2 / Brain 2 using SRXL (1 M-to-M servo cable) and gives you all the standard TM1000 telemetry (temperature, receiver voltage, ext voltage, RPM, Fades, Frame loss & holds) back to your TX.
And, the next software release for the AR8010T will support bi-directional SRXL so the Brain 2 / iKON 2 can relay telemetry back through the AR8010T
I run this setup today and it is solid as a rock.

The BK servos are OK.
But, I would not try to run them at 333Hz. BK says they are 333Hz, but they seem to work better @ 156Hz or 200Hz (I fly 3 BK BLS-8002HV w/ BK DS-7005HV my Trex 600E Pro).
For my T700N, I use 3 Align BL815HV w/ Align BL850HV. I really like these.

The BK servo as a throttle servo is just wasted money. I use the Align DS535 ($50) and the CHP servo adapter plate. Works great and provides only minimal resistance to the throttle return spring.

Personally, I am a YS guy. I gave up on OS long ago.
The YS 96SR-X Tareq w/ the YS Power Pipe seems to be the answer to any motor question.
I use the YS 120SR-X w/ Hatori in my T700N today. but I bought a YS 96SR-X Tareq w/ Power Pipe to try and I've seen what it does on the Goblin.
The power band for these motors seems to be tailor fitted to the 8.0:1 gear ratio of the 700DFC's black slant-tooth main / pinion (I run these on my T700N v2).

As for the gov sensor - any of them work with the MSH gyros (Brain / iKON). I use the Align magnetic pickups with the magnets on the clutch bell.
The YS engines have a steel plate on the backplate of the motor and using the Spektrum BPS is "not recommended" by YS - but it seems to work (mostly).
I kind of wish I could find a 700 fan / flywheel that has cups for the magnets. But the clutchbell magnets work well enough and the Brain does mind.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 02-24-2017 at 05:17 PM..
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
On the question of the iKON - buy a new iKON 2 or Brain 2.
That gives you parameter logging and telemetry options that will never be added to the iKON 1 / Brain 1.

I would also suggest the HD / BT version rather than a standard Brain 2 / iKON 2. This allows you to use a 2S LiPo wired directly to the Brain 2 / iKON 2 with a heavy duty connector and wires, includes a "fail on" on/off switch and Bluetooth access for a BT Enabled Windows PC (for real time vibration analysis and programming), Android and iOS (Apple i-devices) programming.

You may also want to look at the AR8010T as the receiver.
That supports up to 3 DSMX sats + 1 internal DSMX (4 RX total). But it connects to the iKON 2 / Brain 2 using SRXL (1 M-to-M servo cable) and gives you all the standard TM1000 telemetry (temperature, receiver voltage, ext voltage, RPM, Fades, Frame loss & holds) back to your TX.
And, the next software release for the AR8010T will support bi-directional SRXL so the Brain 2 / iKON 2 can relay telemetry back through the AR8010T
I run this setup today and it is solid as a rock.

The BK servos are OK.
But, I would not try to run them at 333Hz. BK says they are 333Hz, but they seem to work better @ 156Hz or 200Hz (I fly 3 BK BLS-8002HV w/ BK DS-7005HV my Trex 600E Pro).
For my T700N, I use 3 Align BL815HV w/ Align BL850HV. I really like these.

The BK servo as a throttle servo is just wasted money. I use the Align DS535 ($50) and the CHP servo adapter plate. Works great and provides only minimal resistance to the throttle return spring.

Personally, I am a YS guy. I gave up on OS long ago.
The YS 96SR-X Tareq w/ the YS Power Pipe seems to be the answer to any motor question.
I use the YS 120SR-X w/ Hatori in my T700N today. but I bought a YS 96SR-X Tareq w/ Power Pipe to try and I've seen what it does on the Goblin.
The power band for these motors seems to be tailor fitted to the 8.0:1 gear ratio of the 700DFC's black slant-tooth main / pinion (I run these on my T700N v2).

As for the gov sensor - any of them work with the MSH gyros (Brain / iKON). I use the Align magnetic pickups with the magnets on the clutch bell.
The YS engines have a steel plate on the backplate of the motor and using the Spektrum BPS is "not recommended" by YS - but it seems to work (mostly).
I kind of wish I could find a 700 fan / flywheel that has cups for the magnets. But the clutchbell magnets work well enough and the Brain does mind.
I'm going to buy the Ikon 2 HD w/ BT, for the gov sensor can you kindly post a pic here? I want to see what the align magnetic sensor looks like if you don't mind, so I know what to include in my order on amainhobbies
Old 03-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is what the Align gov sensor looks like. This one says for BeastX so not sure if its what you need. Ticedoff8 could tell you for sure. Just be aware that you can't just plug the sensor into the Brain/Ikon2 like you could with the B/Ikon 1. I'm getting set to install an Ikon2 onto my Gaui nx4 and just found this out myself. You can purchase an adapter (jst-zhr to servo plug) or simply cut the jst plug off the Align sensor and crimp a servo plug on.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/align-b...gbp001/p505962
jiminator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminator View Post
This is what the Align gov sensor looks like. This one says for BeastX so not sure if its what you need. Ticedoff8 could tell you for sure. Just be aware that you can't just plug the sensor into the Brain/Ikon2 like you could with the B/Ikon 1. I'm getting set to install an Ikon2 onto my Gaui nx4 and just found this out myself. You can purchase an adapter (jst-zhr to servo plug) or simply cut the jst plug off the Align sensor and crimp a servo plug on.

As far as I know the sensor itself is the same for the normal and the beastx versions, it's just the plug on the end is different. Do note if you make your own end for it, the +/- wires are swapped (+ is black, - is red) because Reasons.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminator View Post

wow thank you, I'll include that on my cart but adapter should be the problem..
Old 03-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwht View Post
As far as I know the sensor itself is the same for the normal and the beastx versions, it's just the plug on the end is different. Do note if you make your own end for it, the +/- wires are swapped (+ is black, - is red) because Reasons.
I'll take note of that , thank you so much.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

High voltage servos will run on 6 volts, the difference is that they're capable of handling more which helps them be stronger and faster, but also eliminates the need for a regulator at all. I run a straight 2s battery on my 600n. Yo could eliminate the gryphon completely and run the switch glow pro, the only reason I mention the duo pro is because it's a fail safe power switch which is nice but also the glow ignitor which for me is a must have. I really like my pro tek unit but I don't have a switch so I have to remove the canopy and unplug the battery each time.
Can you please explain to me, what do you mean by "eliminate the gryphon completely" so do you mean I can run my nitro with just the switch glo in it? no regulator is needed? I'm so sorry I'm confused. I want to follow a set up for my Trex 700N that is capable of flying hard 3D, What I have now is an all stock Trex 700N pro with just the gryphon lite booster installed on it, honestly I don't know how can I run a nitro heli without the gryphon lite booster, and its possible is it recommended?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

The BK servos are HV capable, so you can run a straight 2S lipo, no need for the regulator. You'll need to come up with a harness that goes from the battery connector to at least 2 servo plugs, a single servo plug can't handle the current draw required for the BK servos - the plug tops out at 5A continuous.

All my nitros just run a straight receiver pack.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Even if I use the Ikon 2 w/ HD power output? Do I need to have a harness? Can you kindly share photo of your set up? So I can get an idea
Old 03-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

The HD thing on the ikon takes the place of the battery harness, you can just solder the battery leads on the end of the leads for it. I use the Spartan power bus on mine https://www.amainhobbies.com/spartan...rc-mpb/p428260 but you won't need it with the HD ikon.

Power leads run through the frame on mine so a pic won't show much, but I can grab one if you want.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've never had a problem finding parts for the older 700N, aligntrexstore.com has everything.

Mines pretty much updated to the newer dfc version though, gears, tail slider, pinion, head, etc. The only 'older' parts I could possibly need are frames in a horrible crash, everything else is still current since it goes to the dfc model.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in