Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Has anyone flown V3 on a preset control behavior ?

just what the title says. I am wondering if anyone has flown their heli on V3 with a preset control behavior and how they liked it. Parameter B
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just finished dialing my Mini Protos in on V3. I am using extreme control behavior with 10% positive expo (Spektrum). I had been flying transmitter mode on V2.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
Just finished dialing my Mini Protos in on V3. I am using extreme control behavior with 10% positive expo (Spektrum). I had been flying transmitter mode on V2.
Are you using the cyclic sensitivity or revo precomp or pitch boost. I was also in tx mode but think that may change. The presets seem better but I have not used any cyclic sensitivity.
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I thought by choosing a preset TX mode you were to leave expo and endpoints at default settings in the TX?
MXRACERX43 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRACERX43 View Post
I thought by choosing a preset TX mode you were to leave expo and endpoints at default settings in the TX?
I agree not to touch expo, but endpoints may be adjusted without adverse efffects.

I just flew V3 today using the Extreme preset. I used Extreme in Version 2 as well. I like it a lot. V3 "feels" a lot better than V2. When I set it up last night, I kept the new Parameters off until I could get the basic flight tuning accomplished. I got to the field and discovered that I never printed out the quick reference sheet for V3, and I didnt remember which was precomp, pitch boost, or the new cyclic response. Needless to say, I didn't get to try them out. I should have written them down. And there's no cell phone signal at my field, so I couldn't even call anyone to look it up for me.

However, the tail behavior is noticeably better than V2. Next time out I'll remember to write down what the new Parameter menu points are.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
Are you using the cyclic sensitivity or revo precomp or pitch boost. I was also in tx mode but think that may change. The presets seem better but I have not used any cyclic sensitivity.
I have the cyclic response at default (normal). It felt too twitchy above that.

I have precomp on low normal.. on high, it seemed to cause a cyclic jerk too.. low seemed just a touch better than off.

I have pitch boost on high. This was the biggest improvement I saw over V2. I hated how laggy collective felt on V2.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRACERX43 View Post
It is expo... all it does is output a different stick position than you are actually at. This would be no different than just moving the stick slightly less. It just feels better to me if I have the TX do it. Even BeastX says it is ok to do it.

Quote:
When using the predefined control behaviors we do not recommend to additionally adjust control curves (Expo/Dual rates) in your transmitter as this will mix indefinable the preset curves of the Microbeast with the curves of the transmitter. But if you only make little changes (e.g. slightly increasing the servo throw to increase rotation rate) this should be no problem.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
It is expo... all it does is output a different stick position than you are actually at. This would be no different than just moving the stick slightly less. It just feels better to me if I have the TX do it. Even BeastX says it is ok to do it.
They're saying its okay to adjust servo throw, ie; endpoints. So you still get the "feel" of the preset, but with slightly slower or faster flip, roll, and/or piro rates depending upon whether you decreased or increased the endpoints.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob, I disagree. They are talking about expo and dual rates and then say small changes are OK. They just use end points as an example.

Besides... adjusting end points or dual rates is effectively the same thing as expo. You are just outputting a different stick position than the actual stick position. Dual rates and end points will do this linearly and expo does this exponentially.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mixing expo is bad juju.
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOL... then moving your stick less or more must be too.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Overall, mixing expo in two different devices would give unexpected end position results, but only until you got used to the feel after that they result would not be unexpected. It will not destroy the universe (like crossing the streams - never do this) and no doubt 9sec240 has got used to the feel and likes it.
bobloblaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think you are missing the point.
You moving the stick is a commanded input, by mixing expo you have the possibility of doing some screwy stuff with your curves and causing an uncommanded or unexpected input or interaction.
Spektrum DX8
Inverse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOL... seriously?

Come on guys. Do you not understand what expo is and how it works? Unpredictable? How? If the TX outputs the same signal in the same stick position every time... and the BeastX uses that signal to command a specific roll rate every time... how is that going to be unpredictable?

Your TX does not spit out "expo" when it is enabled. It sends out the same signal it would without expo... or with 70% Dual rates... or with 117% end points. It is all the same... only the position you hold the stick in will be different.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do not use expo on a preset, it does weird things. I have experienced this first hand.
Here is a quote from the Beast forums.
Question posted:
Do I program expo into my Transmitter
I am wondering if adding expo to the transmitter's cyclic will have any effect on the MB? I just finished setting up the unit yet not confident as to its full relationship with the transmitter's functions. Thanks for any comments. Fred

Stefan's answer:
Hi,when using one of the preset control behavior I do not recommend to use any curves in the TX. That's what these curves are for, to simply choose the one you like best and fly.
If you want to determine this by yourself, then switch to control behavior "transmitter"(=LED blue at parameter point B) and tune the curves in your transmitter as you like. In this mode all curves in the Microbeast are disabled and 100% stick signal is corresponding to full rotation rate and the control curve is linear.

You can also take one of the presets and additionally slightly modify curves in your TX, but as said I do not recommend this as this will lead to mixing up of the different curves and you will not have a clean expo control curve any more. Also when reducing the throw in the transmitter, this will in fact reduce the maximum rotation rate at full stick deflection but also will cut of the end of the control curve in the microbeast, so for example when only using 50% throw in the transmitter you will only use the first half of the curve in the Microbeast.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ivan, it is true..While running a preset control behavior, adding your own expo will make the resultant curve become shifted, sometimes causing a "shelf" instead of a curve. trust me, it will feel better if you take out the expo, and set the cyclic feed forward dial up a bit. This was a discussion that came up in the beastx forums, and Stefan explains it better than me, but from the horses mouth, D/R or endpoints are ok but not expo while in a preset mode.
nexgen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Interesting about cutting off the end of the control curve if you reduce the throw. I have no understanding of the inner workings of the MB, algorythims, etc., therefore no reason to disagree with that.

I won't be making any adjustments in the Extreme preset, as it suits me very well for the time being. If I ever decide I need more, I'll go to Tx mode.

One question, does Tx mode relieve the "control loop" I often read about? If so, what would be the benefit of relieving the control loop?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

tx mode just disables the MB "canned" expo curve, and D/R settings as they will be now handled by the TX. regarding the control loop, the way I interpret it there are relievers and augmenters.

things like PiroComp and Cyclic feed forward are relievers. Pre empting a command before the gyros and algorithms take over. relieving the control loop essentially makes the "math" problem less complex for the software and sensors, meaning that if before the gyros try to correct, if the "space" between where you are and where the gyro wants you to be is smaller then the MB will have an easier time getting there.

things like cyclic acceleration and pitch boost are augmenters, using the software to augment a stick command, while allowing the "loop" to do its thing.
nexgen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Applying expo is applying a exponential equation to a linear curve. Every device has a different exponential equation (JR, Futaba, Vbar, BeastX, etc.). So when you use the BeastX preset, you have end up with a exponential curve with certain traits. If you then apply expo on your TX, you are applying another, different exponential equation to exponential curve which on the surface will seem like it's the same as just applying more expo. But it really isn't the same. If you've ever used a math graphing software, you can more easily see the differences. It's harder to see and feel the difference when flying your heli. But when you use a huge amount of expo in both devices, the ends of the curves start looking very sharp.

If you want to experiment, try combining both in extreme amounts and play with cyclic stick at the ends.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

if he wants to use expo on a preset and theres no way to talk him out of it then i guess go for it and when something funky goes on we wont say we told you so. to tell you from experience tho i had it in tx mode but accidently put it to preset mode when making adjustments and expo was in tx and the heli felt very disconnected

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in