Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

i'm not entirely convinced on this motor - it'd be nice to see some actual specs such as power output and amperage draw/efficiency numbers on this motor vs. the Spin 8000kv.

I think the extra "power" ppl are saying it has may be confusing it with the extra headspeed, considering its 500kv more. Lower Kv motors tend to have more torque, which higher Kv compensates for with more headspeed.

More Kv also means more RPM which = more heat. We already know the Spin 8000 eats batteries pretty quickly so this may be even more pronounced now. Again, some motor efficiency numbers compared to the 8000 would certainly help.

I'm sure its a good motor - all i'm saying is, it would be nice to see some actual performance tests between motors with real figures, rather than "buy this motor its way better than the last one."

All companies selling motors should provide these figures. I know they have them. Companies like Scorpion and KDE provide a full detailed breakdown on every facet of their motors so you can compare them to past series production versions.

I have the Spin 8000 in mine, just fyi, along with a slew of other Xtreme upgrades so i'm not playing sides here.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

3s is the answer for more power LOL! We went the high kv high amperage draw route years ago with the 450's and what is the answer to that these day's??
450's with low kv motors on 4 and particularly 6s lipos!!
Those high kv high amp motors can eat batteries in no time and yap produce a lot of heat. My whole 130x fleet will end up 3s eventually!
The scorpion 2221-6 was a perfect example of an amp hungry, hot running, super inefficient high kv monster for 3s on 450's. No one uses it anymore LOL!
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bingo. If you want power/efficiency, increase the volts, keep the kv low enough to not overspin the motor, and throw higher gear ratio's at it.

Sorry for off topic but have you seen the new lynx 8 tooth steel pinion? You could run their 3s motor off a 4s battery with that pinion and the 116t main for a governed 5k head speed. A 4s 240mah hyperion would be perfect. That could be insane power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
3s is the answer for more power LOL! We went the high kv high amperage draw route years ago with the 450's and what is the answer to that these day's??
450's with low kv motors on 4 and particularly 6s lipos!!
Those high kv high amp motors can eat batteries in no time and yap produce a lot of heat. My whole 130x fleet will end up 3s eventually!
The scorpion 2221-6 was a perfect example of an amp hungry, hot running, super inefficient high kv monster for 3s on 450's. No one uses it anymore LOL!
kpod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

how tall is that 4s lipo? The 3s is a hassle with current canopy choices LOL!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree with the motor being inefficient. I also found myself looking for the specs on this motor and was not able to find out. I did notice a couple of differences between the spin 8000 and the 8500. The 8500 is wider than the 8000, the windings are also a different thickness. The motor doesn't get as hot as the 8000 use to get. I haven't measured the temperature nor have I checked the amp draw. It's definitely not a efficient motor but it not only has more headspeed, but it also had more toque and inertia. It is possible to have a higher kv motor that also has more torque. Being a bigger, wider motor, different size copper wire. I understand the concern on "power" vs headspeed, but that would only be true if this new motor was in fact the same size, and same thickness windings as the spin 8000. This motor is a whole new design and it looks to be of so much better quality than my 3 spin 8000 motors. Even though it is bigger than the 8000, it flies for about the same amount of time as my old spin 8000. The motor can is cooler after a 3 min flight and so are the batteries. It is still an inefficient motor. Hopefully someone takes the time to measure al this stuff since I have emailed Xtreme about the specs. Hopefully they answer.
Andrillox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thunderpower 3s 325 is 45x25x15 @ 35g

The hyperion 4s that I'm going to try to put together should be around 41x31x13 @ 29g. They could also be arranged to be 31x26x20. The short length may allow you to work it in under the canopy.

The other option I am looking at is two pulse 300 2s batteries, with a series connector, side by side. These would be roughly 44x27x16 @ 34g. It will be a tight fit and I may need a custom canopy.

Quote:
how tall is that 4s lipo? The 3s is a hassle with current canopy choices LOL!
Old 02-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

You know what troubles me about the spin 8500 and other super power 2s motors is that a bunch of guy's are going to try to run them on stock or crap low c lipos, with stock connectors then complain when the performance sucks and it eats their lipos. Just saying!!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You know what troubles me about the spin 8500 and other super power 2s motors is that a bunch of guy's are going to try to run them on stock or crap low c lipos, with stock connectors then complain when the performance sucks and it eats their lipos. Just saying!!
Plenty of people use the lynx motor and get equal and sometimes MORE runtime than stock, along with more power.

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisBladeWorks View Post
Plenty of people use the lynx motor and get equal and sometimes MORE runtime than stock, along with more power.
You missed the whole point LOL! The spin 8500 is no where near the efficiency of the lynx "weak" original motor. Why do you think lynx is producing the v2 of the 2s motor?
The spin 8500 will make the original lynx motor look like grandma LOL!
Yes sir the original lynx 2s motor gives more power than stock and better efficiency. It should as it is an outrunner. It is far from the most powerful monster out there!
Very far!
I have 2 slightly used ones here (less than 30 flights) and 25 bucks shipped gets them!
My old spin 8000 makes way more "power" but at the price of using top line high c discharge lipos!
Exactly why my whole fleet will be 3s very soon!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is just an add on to my post above.
You can not escape ohms law period!!!
If you guys think you are going to get more out of a power house 2s motor with shi% batteries and connectors that choke everything then go for it. LOL!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got the most powerful motor I could and ran it at 80%.

Which required larger batteries to compensate for flight time loss.
Which caused my heli to become battery heavy, a battery toting piggy.

Larger batteries ended up making my more powerful helicopter fly worse for a shorter time.
So I kicked the curve up to 100%.
But it still had poor flight characteristics because it was heavy and had small blades.

So I stretched it to get lift and made it a bigger, more pronounced bird.
But then I needed a bigger motor to compensate for all my pronouncement.
So I went 3S to help power all that stretched lift.

Which required different gearing and even bigger batteries.
It was then, I experienced battery deja vu.

Now I realize my 130 frame is too small and my 3mm boom is too small.
I need to grow them too.
I hope it doesn't make my helicopter heavy again.

Oh, if it does I'll just go 4s to fix it.

And then I woke up.... the nightmare ended...
SkyKraken is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your nightmare has just started!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKraken View Post

Larger batteries ended up making my more powerful helicopter fly worse for a shorter time.
But it still had poor flight characteristics because it was heavy and had small blades.

I need to grow them too.

But, but, but…..according to ScottS all you need is MAOR POWER MOAR CELLSSSZZ!!!!!

I personally like the compromise from the 2s packs. They are light, and they have great run time with the lynx motor. How much power do you really need in a 130 sized heli? With the lynx motor the 130x is powerful enough to do just about anything you ask it to do.

But, you can't escape ohms law right?

Ohms Law:

If your heli doesn't have enough power, add a bigger motor with higher voltage + bigger, heavier batteries. Your heli is now heavier, so before flying - go ahead and add an even bigger motor with bigger, heavier batteries.

That Georg Ohm was a smart feller.

Lynx Team Pilot
Pitch-Itch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

But now Sky, you have not gone 3s yet so you are speculating the outcome above LOL! I have no problem with monster 2s motors. Just use appropriate lipo and connectors! Stretched 3s is the way. The stretch blades handle the extra 3s battery weight and wait until we get carbon 150 blades then the deal will be real!!
Old 02-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Almost forgot about those! Seems like a long while ago that carbon 150's were announced. Wonder when they're scheduled for release.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Instead of backing the throttle down and adding more batteries, you should leave the curve at 100% and go to a pinion with one less tooth. The motor and esc would be running at their peak efficiency and running a smaller pinion/higher ratio will give the motor a mechanical advantage, reducing the amp draw, allowing the smaller batteries to do the job while keeping weight low.

Stretched, geared, high voltage, and low kv is the way to go. Those carbon blades should help a lot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKraken View Post

I need to grow them too.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #37 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Just built a bird with one of these and flew it in the kitchen and living room (weather is crappy outside), all I can say is

This thing sounds like the 3s bird I had last year that I converted to 2s b/c it was too much for me. This ones gonna be fun.
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Re: New Xtreme Spin 8500 Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi-fish View Post
Just built a bird with one of these and flew it in the kitchen and living room (weather is crappy outside), all I can say is

This thing sounds like the 3s bird I had last year that I converted to 2s b/c it was too much for me. This ones gonna be fun.
Are you running a separate esc?
Blade 130X - Lynx EOX / Blade 300x - AR7200BX, 2213-3585 / Trex 500ESP DFC - AR7200BX, 500MX / Trex 550e DFC - AR7200BX, 600MX / TSA 600e Pro - AR7200BX, 700MX / TBS Discovery FPV - APM, Sunnysky 980kv/ DX8
jabu32 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #39 (permalink)
formerly koi-fish

Nope, off of a mega updated 3/1, using Hyperion 500 mah battery. Built this one beefier, with titanium main shaft and extreme dfc setup.

It'll be a couple of days before i can shake this thing down outside, considering the weather
/ 180cfx, 300x, X3,X4-II, Protos 380, Chase 360, x5, Logo 480, Gob 380, Gob 500, Gob 570, Warp 360, 450x, forza 450/450ex, T-Rex 600 Dom, Logo 600, DX9, 1973 Ford f100, Traxxas Summit/Bronco/Bandit/X-Maxx

"Everyone wanted his soul, all he gave them was a smile" - Steve Marriott
Diogenes is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Re: New Xtreme Spin 8500 Motor

How do you like those Lipos?
Blade 130X - Lynx EOX / Blade 300x - AR7200BX, 2213-3585 / Trex 500ESP DFC - AR7200BX, 500MX / Trex 550e DFC - AR7200BX, 600MX / TSA 600e Pro - AR7200BX, 700MX / TBS Discovery FPV - APM, Sunnysky 980kv/ DX8
jabu32 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in