Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Lama V3/V4 and Kob

Lama V3/V4 and Kob E-Sky Lama V3 and V4 and Kob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
JuZ

Default Strange Lama V3 behaviour

I've had my Lama V3 for a while now and was getting confident enough with it to start getting the blades clashing during extreme maneuvers! So I bought and fitted the Turbo shaft upgrade kit which has made it much more responsive and faster in a straight line, no problem there, but now when I try to hover the heli moves in a strange elliptical circle, I've tried to illustrate what I mean with my MS Paint skills

That is how it behaves with no stick inputs, I can't trim it out as it's moving forward for half the loop and backward for the other half!

The bearings for the main shaft have a small amount of play, could that cause it?

Hopefully someone will be able to help it's getting rather annoying!!
JuZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I've had the same problem with my son's V4 after crashes and found that binding links cause the problem. Usually the flybar. What I do is check to make sure the rod ends are all perpendicular to their ball and give them a squirt of silcone spray.
tz250w is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2008, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
JuZ
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Turns out that it's a common problem known as the "toilet bowl" effect, I found a video of someone elses Lama doing the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/v/JLl5h7VPlx8&rel=1

Apparently it can be caused by the flybar, so I'm going to check mine later on, I'll be back with the results
Old 02-14-2008, 03:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yup, that's what his does if the flybar linkage and pivot isn't completely friction free. That's where getting the rod ends straight and the silicone spray helped out.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
JuZ

I've also read that the metal upgrades can also cause this, so seeing as my flybar is free I'm going to try re fitting my platic topped inner shaft and see what happens.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
JuZ

Just a quick update while the batteries are recharging, removing the turbo shaft upgrade and refitting the stock inner shaft totally cured the "toilet bowl effect" so I now have a plastic/metal hybrid with alloy swashplate and lower blade holders and plastic uppers, I have ordered a standard length alloy inner shaft to see if I can have all metal, we shall see......
Old 02-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is caused by the flybar link to the top blades. Be sure that the top blades are perfectly horizontal when the flybar is at horizontal position. a slight deviation will cause this. adjust the link as needed.
damyxz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
JuZ

Read my previous post it was nothing to do with the flybar this time.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As I said, adjust the flybar link as told, The metal shaft upgrade might have slight difference in dimension as the plastic part. The horizontal alignment of the upper rotor blade grips and the flybar should be perfectly parallel to each other.
damyxz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by damyxz View Post
As I said, adjust the flybar link as told, The metal shaft upgrade might have slight difference in dimension as the plastic part. The horizontal alignment of the upper rotor blade grips and the flybar should be perfectly parallel to each other.
And I checked my son's, it was off by a turn and a half. After adjusting, I could throttle up, go to the fridge, grab a beer, come back, sit down, burp and still have time to adjust the throttle before it hit the ceiling!

Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had my Lama 2 for nearly 3 years now. I've had TB effect more times than I can count. I can tell you for sure that it is nearly always:

1) Most common: Something to do with the flybar (bent, link not adjusted correctly, sticky, etc)

2) Less common: Blades (badly damaged/unbalanced, etc. can sometimes cause TB)

Also, it's not built to fly agressively. The key with the lama is smooth, graceful maneuvers, especially in stock form.

With a shortened flybar, Extreme extended inner shaft, extreme motors, and extreme blades, I can fly mine a lot harder than stock form, but I still can't bang it around too much. It's just not built for it
ct420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in