Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #61 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeskiken View Post
Makes me want to run the BEC Guard on my BEC lines to the FBL system but I would have to run two per Helicopter. They are $40.00 each so $80.00 per Heli.
I think you can gang the two power leads into a single BEC Guard, just need to separate them again going into the FBL or FBL and receiver. In future I suspect the BEC power leads will be enlarged end to end, ie with FBL enhanced current connectivity, anyways, alleviating the need to do this,
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype3a View Post
I highly recommend putting some sort of electronics between the BEC output and your vbar
Have to do this anyway. The YGE manual states very clearly that you can't run a battery backup without a diode inline to prevent the voltage from entering the BEC, and I never run a BEC without a backup. Since the OptiPower BEC Guard also protects from overvoltage coming out of the BEC if something shorts internally, there's little risk of it frying something else.

Besides that, I'm fine with the risk. If they were frying electronics routinely Heino would have done something about it. That's a subjective view of course, but I'm comfortable with it.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorapture View Post
I think you can gang the two power leads into a single BEC Guard, just need to separate them again going into the FBL or FBL and receiver.
That's correct - OptiPower says it's supported and is more than adequate for "most applications". Downside is you need two Y splitters or solder the leads on.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:06 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't been running one with my ESCs. Do I need to run a BEC guard with the Kontronik Jive ESCs ? I haven't heard of any failures frying the electronics. Not saying that it hasn't happened.

What did people do before the BEC guard came out ? A diode soldered on the positive wire ?

What about when using a opti-guard battery back up ? It is still needed there is no protection built in ?
Old 06-18-2015, 11:49 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use a Castle ESC, I think I heard Castle say the Optiguard is fine with their ESC, but still it's strange.

I did an experiment a while back when I first connected my Optiguard. I unplugged the main battery pack and let the Optiguard take over, then I turned off throttle hold. I found that not only did the Optiguard backfeed the ESC and power the ESC, it also attempted to start the motor. I quickly shutdown as I thought it might fry something, obviously it didn't have enough juice to actually rotate the motor, but the motor was singing and vibrating like the blades where being held.

I found it odd that the Castle can power itself and even run the motor from the power coming FROM the radio power lead. I don't think they thought about this when they designed the ESC.

So, if the BEC fails or the power to the FBL fails, then the Optiguard will kick in and all is well, however if in flight the main battery power wires were to become desoldered or disconnected, then I have no idea what is going to happen as the Optiguard is now going to power the ESC, perhaps zapping it of it's needed juice to power the FBL.

Add the backfeed prevention circuitry as another item that all ESC's need to have built in. They need this and they need the circuitry to prevent the BEC from frying the electronics. Should be standard on every product sold from here on out, backup guards are becoming the standard.
RedJoE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2015, 12:08 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote: the backfeed prevention circuitry as another item that all ESC's need to have built in. They need this and they need the circuitry to prevent the BEC from frying the electronics. Should be standard on every product sold from here on out, backup guards are becoming the standard.

I agree should be included in the ESC circuitry.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:34 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Do I need to run a BEC guard with the Kontronik Jive ESCs?
Kontronik ESCs are designed to support running with a buffer pack. I know that's true of the Kosmiks and believe it's also true of the Jive series, but it never hurts to check the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoE View Post
I use a Castle ESC, I think I heard Castle say the Optiguard is fine with their ESC
CC ESCs don't have backfeed voltage protection. There's a thread on here where someone from Castle stated that you can't use a Backup Guard with the CC BEC Pro .. I'll dig around and try to find it. If their standalone BEC isn't designed for it, good bet the built-in ones aren't either. UltraGuard has a slight advantage over the BUG in that it turns itself on after the BEC is powered, whereas you could turn on the BUG first. But when you unplug the BEC, that UltraGuard stays on and starts delivering power - right into your BEC's "exit only" port...

Most of the switching BECs on the market will tell you not to run a battery backup with their SBEC without a diode or other protection inline. Includes WR.

"I've been doing it for years without issue" is pretty much the standard response. In most cases you won't have a problem. Just that if you do, you've been warned and shouldn't expect warranty support.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #68 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
... What did people do before the BEC guard came out ? A diode soldered on the positive wire ? ...
A diode in series is not going to help for protecting the electronics against the ESC voltage leaking through which I believe is the main purpose of the OptiGuard. A Zener 8v in parallel, reversed, could help but only as long as it could take the load and the solder doesn't melt
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, Thanks for the information. I remember reading something on the Kontronik site about using a buffer and what size is appropriate.

It looks like for the YGE either I remove the back up battery or add two BEC Guards.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
It looks like for the YGE either I remove the back up battery or add two BEC Guards.
You only need a single BEC guard. Just need to join and split the current at either end.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for the answers. I will buy one BEC guard and a Backup guard and get rid of my backup battery with a switch. Yesterday I was flying it with out using the backup battery.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli808freak View Post
I am getting my second Logo heli and I was wondering on which ESC to get. I thought about getting the Kontronik Jive 120 + HV. I will be running a Pryo 650-103L motor and a single 6S battery. Can I use this ESC? I would welcome and appreciate any advice.
Wow! my question took a life of its own. I really appreciate all the inputs and advices from everyone. I'm overwhelmed with all the response. I ordered my Logo 550SX today and for everyone's curiosity I got the Kontronik 120+HV. Thanks again!

Logo 550SX Neo Vbar, Trex 550e V2 Neo
heli808freak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli808freak View Post
Wow! my question took a life of its own. I really appreciate all the inputs and advices from everyone. I'm overwhelmed with all the response. I ordered my Logo 550SX today and for everyone's curiosity I got the Kontronik 120+HV. Thanks again!

Good choice
Old 06-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes Great Choice. 😀
Old 06-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great choice!
I buy the 120hv for everything because it can be used on anything 500-700. Very versatile 😉
Old 11-18-2015, 06:39 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Anything that an utilize vbar gov is best. Proactive versus reactive gov always wins!!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ESC

Sorry to dig up an old thread.
I have a logo 550sx with a Pyro 650-103. I had a YGE 120lvk which when it was working correctly was good. However I am looking for something different. I have a HW 100V3. However it worries me that it may not be enough exc. I don't fly hard 3d just mild at best. However i do run about 2250 HS when doing stuff and then if im just flying around I drop down to around 2000.

Gear ratio right now is 9.63 (mod 1 with 11T pinion).

Thanks for any help guys.
Lowknifedge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 PM   #78 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowknifedge View Post
I have a logo 550sx with a Pyro 650-103. I had a YGE 120lvk which when it was working correctly was good. However I am looking for something different. I have a HW 100V3. However it worries me that it may not be enough exc. I don't fly hard 3d just mild at best. However i do run about 2250 HS when doing stuff and then if im just flying around I drop down to around 2000.

Gear ratio right now is 9.63 (mod 1 with 11T pinion).

Thanks for any help guys.
If the Hobby Wing does 100A nicely you should be fine. I recall the kit either coming with or recommended at 90A. Also, full tilt on that heli was 2,400 rpm for me.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:15 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also have Pyro motor on my 550. I believe the HW 100a will be good. I have YGE 120 now.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowknifedge View Post
Sorry to respond late to an old question on an old thread.

The HW 100V3 will be great for the usage you described. I am unsure whether they've updated the firmware for the V3 or if it's only for the V4, but if you're running a VBar and want to run the VBar gov, you'll definitely want their latest firmware. If you're using the HW governor then you can ignore all that.

Mod 1 with 11T pinion and Pyro 650 is a great setup for the 550sx. I run mod 1 with 12T pinion (same motor) but I run 2250, lots of pitch, and heavy thumbs, so I need the headroom. I use the HW 130 V4 which stays cool even on hot days. But that's me. For the flying and setup you described, I believe the HW 100 will be more than adequate.

My ESC install can be seen in this thread: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=750196.

Last edited by hemp; 04-11-2017 at 12:50 AM..
hemp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in