Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Stick with Eflight MCPX or go for Eflight Nano cp??

Hello,
Im new here and im trying to figure out if i should get the Nano Cp or not.. I have the MCPX V1, but have the V2 tail boom and did the grommet mods. Guess im missing the Digital 3-Axis AS3X Sensor that's on the MCPX V2? I have not atempted inverted flight yet in actual flight with the MCPX, but i have spent many house on the phoenix simulator. Im worried about a high repair cost in crashes and if the old V1 board and servos will be ok inverted. I've heard nothing but good things about the nano cp and considering i have a Dx4e i could get the BNF. Hard to decide on if i want to get the nano to continue my collective flying with inverted in the future, or just stick with the MCPX. I know im getting ether the Nano CP or the Eflight MQX soon. The MQX seems like it would be very fun, and alot less stressful than a collective Decisions decisions. Suggestions please
StnrHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the MCPX giving you problems? If it is working so far I would keep with it as long as it does. The MCPX has it's problems, but if the tail blows out or what not, who cares? Just pick it up and try again. It's just a little micro, don't take it too seriously, just have some fun.

You have the Dx4e? I would make my first upgrade to a DX6i or better first. You will need to upgrade to fly larger helis and the options will let you tune the behavior of all your helis.
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Stick with Eflight MCPX or go for Eflight Nano cp??

I have both and the nano handle much better ins small space. I had to do tail mods and other things to get the mcpx able to even attempt inverted. The nano worked great right out of the box.

Now that I have the nano I haven't touched the mcpx.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
madmaxed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't have a Nano, but I've heard a lot of good things about them (except for the main motors, apparently).

But the board on your V1 mCP X is capable of whatever you want. I went brushless on my mCP X, and added a second tail motor, so it's much more capable now than stock, but you can flip a stock mCP X (better off with the extended tail boom, of course), fly inverted, etc.

The board (V1 or V2) only has gyros, so it doesn't know which way is up anyhow. The only aspect that will really give you problems is if you're going too hard on the collective, for instance, and blowing the tail out. I remember last year there was discussion that the new tail blade (probably just "the" tail blade by now) made the tail hold a little better. And extend the tail boom if you haven't yet.

But go for it, it will do inverted, just don't mash the sticks around while flipping it.

If you are considering an upgrade, I'll second the suggestion of at least a DX6i (you might even want to that that before deciding on a Nano). It will give you much more control over things for every heli you have. You can dial down the responsiveness, and also limit the max pitch you have available, to make it less likely to blow the tail out, etc. *Definitely* worth the money for a better radio. I bought my DX6i used from the For Sale section here, $100.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the MCPX is working for you, I say stay with it. It will do fine inverted, whether it is a V1 or V2. I have flown both boards and really couldn't tell a difference. Both of them still have tail blowout when you push them hard, but are stable most other times.

And one other thing-- they are not E-Flite helis, the MCPX, Nano, and MQX are all made by Blade.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQRT(-2) View Post
You have the Dx4e? I would make my first upgrade to a DX6i or better first. You will need to upgrade to fly larger helis and the options will let you tune the behavior of all your helis.
times thousand.

nCPX vs mQX...

I would take the nano over the mQX any time. You can 'pacify' a nano but I admit it will be twitchier than an mCP X.

In my opinion, the collective (or more correctly throttle I guess) on any FP just doesn't feel right, too slow and different, which may be fine for some, but well... I don't like it, I just don't like it. Just me though.

spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_Tanerite View Post
And one other thing-- they are not E-Flite helis, the MCPX, Nano, and MQX are all made by Blade.
Eflight is the parent company. As far as the v1 mcpx, it flies inverted awesome. It's the getting there that is the issue. I flew my friends Nano and it is pretty awesome so I am left with the dilemma of do I buy a nano or spend that money on a brushless conversion on the mcpx that I already have. We'll see I guess, still have not made that decision yet.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
Eflight is the parent company. As far as the v1 mcpx, it flies inverted awesome. It's the getting there that is the issue. I flew my friends Nano and it is pretty awesome so I am left with the dilemma of do I buy a nano or spend that money on a brushless conversion on the mcpx that I already have. We'll see I guess, still have not made that decision yet.
No, Horizon Hobby is the parent company. Blade helicopters are E-Flite helicopters as much as they are Parkzone helicopters.

As for the nano vs BL MCPX decision-- you're going to dump as much or more money converting your MCPX to BL (not to mention all the work to do it) as you would to buy a nano. I got rid of all my MCPXs when I got my 130X and nano. IMO both helis were far more capable than the MCPX. The 130x is better outdoors, and the nano is better indoors. I looked into doing the BL MCPX, but couldn't justify the cost for the performance gain on a heli that I felt was marginal to begin with.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have both. I recently got a 130X.

I don't fly the smaller ones anymore. What does that tell you?

Get a 130. You will not be disappointed.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

While I do agree that there is no comparing a 130x to either of the smaller helis, the point was to ask about the mCPX or nano, so that's what we should focus on (otherwise it everyone gets on that slippery-slope and starts recommending everything up to an 800 ).

The mCPX has been by far the "greatest" trainer heli I've ever owned. Mainly because it's big enough to truly fly outside and even in a little bit of wind without compromising durability. As pretty much 100% stock, the only things I can't do on it are hard tic-tocs, and big loops. Piro-flips are tricky to pull off, but are completely possible, along with a ton of other "3D" style maneuvers that everyone assumes are impossible to do in stock form.

I extend the tail boom out to 6" using solid .083" carbon rod and that eliminiates 90% of your blow-out issues all on its own. You can still get blow-outs if you mash it too hard or you have your rates turned up too high, but you can reliably fly it on a DX4e if that's all you have with relative success. I agree that a better radio would yield much better results overall and will make life a lot simpler for you, but that's your decision to make.

If blow-outs are still a major issue after the stretch and you've dialed out every last possible hitch/glitch/problem, then it comes down to you needing to learn how to control the tail and not let it walk all over you. The gyros in ANY of those micro CP's are marginal at best (pretty much the same control as an old GY240 or GY401) so you have to be prepared to fly around it. Not only will that teach you to be a better pilot overall, it teaches you collective management and how to work the tail instead of simply relying on the gyro to do the work for you.

Of course, not many people see a lot of good in putting up with it, but its been invaluable to me and has been a large reason why my flight envelope has opened up so much in the last year or so since getting one. The 130x only keeps me in check because it gets ridiculously expensive quick due to repair costs (yes, you will crash more, and usually a LOT harder because of how twitchy and fast the little booger is) so I don't them as being a good learning platform -- especially if you don't have a good enough radio to tame it down. FWIW, I hope this helps. Best of luck with your decision.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nano if you stay stock, mCP X if you want to go brushless. I feel the mCP X is just a better candidate for a wider range of brushless stuff.
Prôtos 700
Xtreme-Production
SYMAWD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_Tanerite View Post
No, Horizon Hobby is the parent company. Blade helicopters are E-Flite helicopters as much as they are Parkzone helicopters.
No. Horizon Hobby doesn't manufacture anything, they sell and service products. Eflight is the parent manufacturer of Blade helicopters and a variety of small airplanes.
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Ill probably stick with the MCPX and possibly pick up a MQX soon, looks like great fun!
Thanks again
StnrHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
No. Horizon Hobby doesn't manufacture anything, they sell and service products. Eflight is the parent manufacturer of Blade helicopters and a variety of small airplanes.
I'm sorry, but you are flat out wrong. This has been clarified many times in the Blade forum. What you describe USED to be the case, but as of about 3 years ago Blade helis is a completely different division of Horizon Hobby, just like Spektrum, Parkzone, Hangar 9, etc. Blade helis still use some E-Flite components (motors, esc, servos) but are are not produced by E-Flite. If you don't believe me, PM Brian James or dribbe and ask them. Bottom line, there is no such think as a current production E-Flite helicopter, and to imply such is a misnomer.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That sounds reasonable, they just don't make the distinction very clear. You can google Eflight and their own homepage has the link for Blade helis. It implies that it is a single entity. None of this is that important to me though. I would guess they are not as separate as they lead us to believe. It is very common in this industry.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nano

The nano is a much more durable heli and it needs much less to make it perfect. Batteries are cheaper and as far as brushless it really don't need it. the nano is also a little cheaper to repair .
69maverick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What's funny is the nano makes the mcpx seems huge. I still would like to see something smaller though...
Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Take your Mcpx outside over some grass and flip it, fly it whatever. I have crashed mine so many times and 90% of the time didn't break anything. Just be quick on the throttle hold!
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once you have a Nano you will see that it seems to do just as well as the MCPX but it is even more durable. I plugged mine into the ground 50 times and it still hasn't broke and not once did the main gear come lose or lose a rotor head link. The only thing I did brake was the landing gear. But who needs it,I just hand launch it anyway.
69maverick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69maverick View Post
Once you have a Nano you will see that it seems to do just as well as the MCPX but it is even more durable. I plugged mine into the ground 50 times and it still hasn't broke and not once did the main gear come lose or lose a rotor head link. The only thing I did brake was the landing gear. But who needs it,I just hand launch it anyway.
I agree-- the nano is superior to the MCPX in every way except wind tolerance, but the MCPX doesn't handle much more wind than the nano, maybe 3-5mph more at best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in