Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Pos/Neg mislabeld on 4in1? Oh and Bee destroyed itself.

So after I did the fuse mod I noticed that the pos/neg labeling on 'motor1' seemed to be reversed. I had been flying w/it this whole time and thought maybe I had something backwards....? So I switched it around, plugged in the lipo, proceeded to test it, the motor was turning in the wrong direction..... then (stupidly) switched the throttle 'reverse' on the trans.....heli was on my workbench, went full throttle, slammed into me then the ground, completely destroying itself (well maybe not completely but it seemed so after spending last night putting on : superskids, superpaddles, new cf flybar, creating/installing the 'head stiffener', supergluing my tail fin back on, and getting everything right for today's "test run")

Damage done: destroyed the brand new cf flybar...completely twisted/broke in half, broke the swashplate guide pole thing, broke off my newly re-superglued tail fin, among other things. Pic attached.

So anyways.....I'm either missing something / have my stuff setup wrong...or the 4in1 is actually mislabeled for pos/neg on the main motor connection (red goes to minus, black to plus).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-06-26 10.55.41.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	164985  
vanillagorilla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

more than likely is the 4in1 is correct BUT it could be the motors manufacture than has the red and black motors wires mixed up..just a guess as these things are cheap and dont last long
sorry to hear about the damage tho
Old 06-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Woa VG sorry to hear about your..............Excitement.

Yeah, + and - (or black and red for that matter) don't always mean the same thing as they do here.

I am glad to see the damage wasn't worse. When I saw your title I thought you'd smoked your 4n1.

I'm sure it is frustrating though.

Sent from my Laptop using "Hunt and Peck"

Last edited by FLThreeFiveZero; 06-26-2010 at 06:23 PM..
FLThreeFiveZero is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've read somewhere on here that the Chinese have opposite interpretations for pos and neg - i.e. reversed from Western standard. Shouldn't be a prob though if you just invert the tm plug in the 4in1.

Bugster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think switching the throttle reverse on the radio was the culprit. You wont hurt anything with polarity swapped other than blades turning wrong direction.Im not familar with that throttle reverse switch but I assume it made the stick direction reversed for full throttle to no throttle and you were in a no throttle position until you made the change, then bam full throttle. Sounds exciting,scary and costly. Sorry about your mess. Been there done that, rebuild and fly again man.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Yeah the throttle reverse mistake made sense immediately during the split seconds while the bee tried to take my arm off. I'm just glad I didn't catch a blade in the eye.

Luckily I had all the spare parts to fix it except the tail fin, which I superglued back on with some 'plastic support gussets' in place to hopefully hold it on until my new fin/motor housing comes in from the UK along w/the other DD tail pieces.

Waiting for the glue to dry, will test tomorrow. I'm going to follow VL's gyro calibration since I change a few things, also I think I never truly had it set up right in the first place.

My goal at this point is to taker 'er outside and control (hover) it! Hopefully the EZ blades as well as VL's "head stiffener" mod will help make it easier to hover.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOW! That sounded scary! Luckily your ok! Fix it and fly it again! Yes! I broke my bee up about 2 months ago. -Fast forward flight into house- Bee broke up and a skid hit me in the forehead. -nice safe hobby we picked huh?-
Chris Arena is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillagorilla View Post
Yeah the throttle reverse mistake made sense immediately during the split seconds while the bee tried to take my arm off. I'm just glad I didn't catch a blade in the eye.

Luckily I had all the spare parts to fix it except the tail fin, which I superglued back on with some 'plastic support gussets' in place to hopefully hold it on until my new fin/motor housing comes in from the UK along w/the other DD tail pieces.

Waiting for the glue to dry, will test tomorrow. I'm going to follow VL's gyro calibration since I change a few things, also I think I never truly had it set up right in the first place.

My goal at this point is to taker 'er outside and control (hover) it! Hopefully the EZ blades as well as VL's "head stiffener" mod will help make it easier to hover.
those 2 mods alone made my Bee a dream to fly..so hope you got your issues worked out man..really sorry that happened..if it makes you feel any better i has a twin ducted fan jet i bought do something similar..was doing a "ground test" and one of the motors/fans went ot full power and detonated over my bed! was gnarly! so i feel your pain..

hope you got it all back together and can report on a successful flight!
Old 06-27-2010, 04:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Welcome to the "the Bee bit me" club VG! I think most of us are in that club. I got a hit on my arm and on my backside last year. Glad you weren't hurt. It's so easy to try something with the electrics and all goes wrong. Hope to see you flying again soon

Here was my last hit...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnBWel6FE98[/ame]

And this one DID hurt!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7jKtY9CgCc[/ame]

Here it is at full speed..
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XkERrOM8P0&NR=1[/ame]

Cheers, OD.

If you make a mistake and learn from it, that's progress

2 x Nano heli's - now passed on to Megan, HoneyBee V1.....Awaiting test flight, T-Rex 250 V1, Hitec 5084MG tail servo, DX6i, Walkera 4#3A (it's in fairly good hands Bugster).
oliverdots is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

it was great to see the old vids again,im envious i never could fly me bee as well as you its a shame its over in new york rite now as the weather is perfect for bee flying,probily for the best as i would probily have 3 helis to repaire today
Old 06-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just gotta sign you up as a student! You need to learn "HELI FU"!
Chris Arena is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverdots View Post
Welcome to the "the Bee bit me" club VG! I think most of us are in that club. I got a hit on my arm and on my backside last year. Glad you weren't hurt. It's so easy to try something with the electrics and all goes wrong. Hope to see you flying again soon
Thanks for the vids, haha.....I've actually dodged the bee a few times in similar accidents. If I had a video of this last one it would have been about 5 seconds long during the chaos and destruction and then a stream of expletives for about 2 minutes.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I need to learn to run fast

Cheers, OD.

2 x Nano heli's - now passed on to Megan, HoneyBee V1.....Awaiting test flight, T-Rex 250 V1, Hitec 5084MG tail servo, DX6i, Walkera 4#3A (it's in fairly good hands Bugster).
Old 06-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The bee is back!

My redneck plastic gusset tail-fin super glue fix was dry this morning so I decided to calibrate the gyro and test out the new blades etc.....it was probably my most successful hovering yet! The gyro seems to be holding it better than ever, and no major crashes or breaks. Although it does seem like sometimes it just starts going in a circle pattern and I have trouble calming it down....I guess thats where practice comes in. Also, the 'notch' on the throttle keeps me from setting it in the 'sweet spot' - its either too high up or hitting the ground. Again, I know its just going to take some practice. Nervous (again) to take the training gear off but might give it a try this afternoon after my one good lipo charges back up.

I think I've slightly mashed a few teeth on the rear rotor gears which might be inhibiting some efficiency....can't wait to get the DD tail in

BTW, is it a good idea to let the lipo's settle/cool off after use - before charging again?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

There is a sticky on how to remove the ratchet

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=181856

Cheers, OD.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, Gotta remove the ratchet

Old 06-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I always give my batteries a good 30 mins to cool down and "settle" before charging again.

Cheers, OD.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverdots View Post
There is a sticky on how to remove the ratchet

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=181856

btw, what is the 'turn' switch used for on the top of the transmitter?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillagorilla View Post

btw, what is the 'turn' switch used for on the top of the transmitter?
it is actually a "tran" or "train" for trainer connection....so you can take over for somone on a buddy box...
Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaManDan View Post
it is actually a "tran" or "train" for trainer connection....so you can take over for somone on a buddy box...

AWWWW dang! JMD I was gonna tell him it was like the turning breaks, like on a sand rail or drift car. Just get the helicopter haulin' azz and flip that switch and watch that heli turn on the blade tips.
I woulda told him the truth......later.........eventually..............m aybe

Last edited by FLThreeFiveZero; 06-28-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in