Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thank's timatworksg

WOW

Nice write up!
I already ordered the back light and will install it as soon as I get a DX6i
That's right I don't even own the radio yet.
I just got into Helli's with a 120sr very fun.
I was looking at the DX6i,and saw a different tutorial that wasn't as good as yours.
But after seeing your tutorial it helped my decide on the DX6i,knowing how nice it will look with the back light,and of course it is a great radio in that price range.

Thank's timatworksg
dtkmrp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got my blue backlight from HK today. I didn't realize it was just a thick piece of plastic with LEDs in one end. Looks like I'll be using this one for my DX6i, and maybe get a real EL panel for my DX3C.

Last edited by cbp27; 02-03-2012 at 11:16 AM..
cbp27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok sorry guys...been awhile since i logged in. I checked and still subscribed but not receiving notices on replies here....hmmm! Anyhow...

@Sam:
No issues I have found on mine. Yet to find any post here or elsewhere that has this issue. The drain is minimal and hardly noticeable. No change in battery drain. Only prob I have now is...my recharge batts are dying and time to buy Eneloops...
As for effect on range and power output. No issues thus far. I fly my Tricopter with a cam way way up high and still have control. Never had issues with interference, loss of drain. Hope that helps.

@Rick:
None that I have found trolling the web. Unless the recharge batteries are old and need replacing. Best gauge would be with a fresh set of batteries and start to countdown from there.

@dtkmrp:
Your welcome. Your gonna enjoy the 120SR! That was my 1st FP heli and it thought me ALOT! Don't have it anymore but best times were flying it around the house slowly and controlled using my furniture as an obstacle course. Of course....no one was around..hehe! The DX6i is a nice easy to use Tx! I fly scratchbuild foamies now...and still use the trusty DX6i! The mixes are limited and not much flap control...but you don't need that many customizations for heli's! Unless you fly planes and need lotsa control...the DX6i does get limited for more. Only thing I hate now is the limited 10 models. Wish I could mod a SD card reader...haha! Good luck on your backlight Mod! Post some pics please!!

@cbp27:
LED's in one end? It is a thick plastic but the whole white paper thin plastic piece is where it glows. It's not the bulbs at one end and glows outwards through plastic type. Did you get the same one or HK sent a wrong order? Should be the same one as you see in the pics.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

if i remove the white film on the backlight will it be brighter?
Fullonoob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Fullonoob,

Not sure on that one. Perhaps others here can pop in on this? I'm not an expert on LED panels so can't help you there. I used the backlight lock-stock & barrel avoiding any probs. But some have managed to trim and remove the protective film. I know that the backlight panel is a thin white plastic which glows when powered. So only remove the clear one which is the protective film. But as is....the light is bright enuf really! Won't be that bright during sunny days....but makes the screen way way readable with sunlight! And come evening....just as great!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

[QUOTE=timatworksg;3619734]
@Sam:
No issues I have found on mine. Yet to find any post here or elsewhere that has this issue. The drain is minimal and hardly noticeable. No change in battery drain. Only prob I have now is...my recharge batts are dying and time to buy Eneloops...
As for effect on range and power output. No issues thus far. I fly my Tricopter with a cam way way up high and still have control. Never had issues with interference, loss of drain. Hope that helps.
[QUOTE]

Thanks Tim!
I've also found that any loss of battery life is not noticeable... I use standard alkaline batteries and don't use the rechargeables...in fact I've never opened the shrinkwrap around the rechargeable batteries that came with my DX6i. Maybe I should try them out.
I'm impressed with the DX6i so far, esp. with your backlight mod. Only thing I wish it had is 3 flight modes.

I wonder if anyone has done a battery mod to this radio.... e.g. LiFePO mod or something...
Sam
Sambonator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

No worries Sam...and yes it's hardly noticeable, unless like mine, they are overdue for replacement. I never tried Alkalines....how long do they last before dumping? I should drop a pack of four into my Tx carry case for emergencies I guess....hmmm.

I like the Eneloops as I use them for my DSLR's and they work great without issues. Kinda a case of, why change to something else when I know it works well...hehe!

As for a Lipo mod...I think I came across one while searching through Google. Someone just connected a JST plug to the battery connector that comes from the back panel joining to the front panel board. He used a 2s 500mah if I'm not mistaken. Showed a pic of his battery level indicator full!! Wooo! never tried but all you do need is to get the volts similar or less. mah isn't an issue based on capacity. 2S lipo's are small enough, finding a suitable one, to fit in there.

Yeah the DX6i is a neat little Tx...could be better but as an entry level affordable solution it's hard to beat. However I am feeling the pinch of limited Mix as I progress with my scratchbuild planes. As the DX6i has an Elevon set up issue...it has to use a mix to get full throws. That leaves me with only one mix left. Hard when I wish to experiement with TV and rudder mixes with canards, etc etc. Ah well....but I do wish it had more or at least be upgradable for a small fee.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatworksg View Post
@cbp27:
LED's in one end? It is a thick plastic but the whole white paper thin plastic piece is where it glows. It's not the bulbs at one end and glows outwards through plastic type. Did you get the same one or HK sent a wrong order? Should be the same one as you see in the pics.
Yeah, I was surprised to find LEDs too. After reading HK's description again, it says LEDs. And I decided to open it up. It is a thick piece of clear plastic with 2 blue LEDs molded in the one end. There is a special molded clear sticker on one side to help reflect light outwards. Also, chrome stickers lining the edges to keep the light inside, and the large white stickers on each face to help the light show up better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullonoob View Post
if i remove the white film on the backlight will it be brighter?
You should not remove the white film on either side. It helps give the light a surface to shine on. But there is one side that should have a clear plastic film which should be removed. That same side is what should be facing out toward the LCD screen.

Last edited by cbp27; 02-06-2012 at 09:51 AM..
cbp27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for that heads up cbp27. Adds more info for the tute here!

Looking back yeah it is 2 LEDS....but the cost and even light spread on the panel is still a cheap alternative and fix for the DX6i considering the other mods done.

I never removed any film from the LCD or LED panels....still works well. Besides...if you don't trim the panel in anyway and use Dbl Sided tape there is always room for removal and changes if needed.

Cheers to all!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does anyone remember if the LEDs were wired in series or parallel? I've got a white backlight on order from HK, and I want to also put the backlight on a 10 second timer tied to the beeper.

I'm guessing (hoping) it's parallel with a single current limiting resistor on the connector circuit board.

Thanks!
DVC
RCNet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 03:34 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've done a similar mod on the dx7S but the backlight is not smooth:

Is the voltage not strong enough?
*i did peel the reflective film off the lcd.
vadimpelau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great job vadimpelau! Another life-line for the light-less Dx's!
I would think that the lack of smooth illumination could be from the larger DX7 screen. The backlight kit is such that one side is brighter than the other end. The middle of the panel is smooth only the side ends. With it in the larger DX7's screen, it tends to show through.

But however...if I had a Dx7 I would have still gone ahead with it as it's still the cheapest option for having a much needed backlight anyhow! It is a solution that works...so well done on this!!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Thanks for the great tutorial!

I followed this tutorial and I'm VERY happy with the results. I looked over a few of the different tutorial threads on this back-light mod and yours was the cheapest and best illustrated by far!

The only change I did was to not use the plastic part on the power lead. I just placed a 470 Ohm resister inline with the red lead and shrink wrapped it. The plastic part's only purpose, electronically that is, is to put 470 Ohms inline with the positive lead. Changing the value to a lower resistance may make the display brighter by increasing the current, but I didn't try it and I find the display is perfectly lit for my taste.

Thanks again!
Ken.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Ken...and congrats on a successful mod! I did try to be as detailed-ly brief as possible...lol! Glad it helped! As mentioned, I don't take credit as it was an unfinished post on the HK forums that prompted me to re-write it so anyone who wishes to perform this cheap option can do so easily and efficiently! With the number of successful mods here...I'm just glad it helped!

Great job on the mod to the mod! I'm no electronic expert but thanks for that tip and knowledge on the resister! Perhaps you could post a pic (if you don't mind ripping open the Tx again...hehe) so everyone can see simplicity at work once again!

I guess it would make it brighter if a different resistance was used...but curious as to the current draw. If you or anyone can...do a test and see if this is so. Heck...I can see many possibilities such as brightness control!! A small knob along the way with the resister for brightness level?? Would be cool if possible...which I am sure it is. Don't think the current draw would be that great anyhow....!!

Cheers ken and thanks again!
Old 02-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just bought a DX6i about a week ago and really want to do this mod. I think I can do it without any problems, I know how to solder and have built computers for myself & and for others in my family so I should have the skills to do it, but, I am just a little worried that if I do have some sort of problem I have just messed up a brand new tx, but I guess that is the price of doing mods....lol. I love the mod and tutorial that you have put together and the price is great !
Now I just have to finish talking myself into it !
BigRHS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

hi BigRHS

Don't force yourself or try to find excuses to mod it if you don't feel comfortable. I've been there and crashed many times till I started to talk to myself to stop doing so...HAHA!

But such are mods....some you have to dive in deep and some simple and easy. Since you do have soldering skills and built PC's you shouldn't have any probs. Doubt you will run into any problems really. Some things to look out for if you wish to try this are;

- take your time and don't rush! Rushing is the cause of many problems..lol!
- Remove the small white connectors slowly. Don't force anything. I used a small jewellers screwdriver to gently pry them apart. That white plastic bends easily and has a memory effect of staying bent.
- Spacious workspace with time to not get interrupted. Required containers and tools on hand. Just makes life easier. When done...push everything into a box and dump them somewhere...lol!
- When removing the ribbon cable (if you need to) be gentle and slow with the small flat plastic clip. I broke mine at the ends...but it's a shove fit so no big really.
- Clean work area without dust and direct wind...so you don't dust up the screen or LED panel.
- If something didn't go on right or your stumped...stop, walk away, have a drink and come back later. solutions come from proper thinking and not haphazard quickie solutions...lol!

Other than that...repeat point #1 and repeat again. It's not a difficult mod nor seriously will it ruin anything unless you get solder on 2 rails or wire them up wrongly. Just handle the electronics with clean hands (Heck wear gloves if you wanna) and go slow. have the laptop or print out the tutorial so you can go thru step by step.

Hope that helps....keep us posted if you do mod it! It is better when I used to carry a keychain torch to see the screen...cheers!

Tim
Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Tim I appreciate your post ! I will eventually do it........I just can't help myself....lol......stuff like that just seems to call my name. If I'm not changing something, then I at least have to take it apart and see how it works so I'd say it will not be long.
When I do get it done I'll be back with pics. When you get to be my age, you need all the help you can get to be able to see a screen like the one on the DX6i.
Thanks again and good job !
BigRHS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks so much for this "how to," I LOVE the outcome. At first the screen was a bit miss aligned...

took it apart and realigned it, and BAM!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1223.jpg
Views:	2548
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	290586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1224.jpg
Views:	2499
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	290587  
Slimwood Shady is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's mine timatworksg!
A big thanks for your tutorial!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DX6I.jpg
Views:	7042
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	290684  
Old 02-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Well Done!

@BigRHS

I so understand what you said! I like you....eventually I give in and rip the innards apart. No matter how expensive the item can be...I somehow, with a huge 'gulp and deep breath, dive in. So far all has worked well...phew* but could be better. Over here in my country it's more apartment living so access to having a nice workbench with messiness is hard to come by! Every drill I make it's vacuum so can get cumbersome and long winded. Anyhow...yes, the lighting or anything to help our eyes see better is always a bonus as we age. Obviously the Iphone, Ipad's don't help much...lol!

Await your pics and all the best in the mod when you do dive in! I'm sure you'll do well with it. Heck...you may come up with something new added! Keep us posted!

@Slimwood Shady
Awesome and well done!! Arrrgh...the more I see the Blue the more I wish I went blue! Nice to see you went in again to re-align it! Great job!

@Oldladypilot
And a thank you for the pics! Arrrgh! Blue again!!! (*insert gargomel voice over*). nice job and always a pleasure to have helped!

Thanks to all who did this! Glad the tutorial paved the way for all the successful mods! Keep'em coming!! Wooot!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in