Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lightbulb back from the dead , hybrid X5 project im working on

I have a old 425 cf/x4( crashed and burned that I never even tried to rekit)
I'm thinking about reviving it. I really loved that size heli.

I got a x5lite kit laying around and a crap load of x4 parts.

I've been flying my x5 fes as much as I can these last few months, and it has been bullet proof
Zero problems and its dialed in perfect. I know the x5 inside and out.

So the heli i have in mind will use the x5lite kit , but with a X4 fes head , shortened torque tube and tail( not much just a few mm) cf frame sides not the fiber ones the lite has.
X series tail. X4 tail grips, spinning 470mm edge mains and x5 tails. As much weight savings as I can as well.

My main reason is I can use my 3850mah packs on the X4/X5 and also have two awesome helis that share 98% of parts.

Im hoping to hit 4kish head speed (love gearing high i have a few 17t & 18t pinions i made)
and run the new msh or spartan fbl .

Sounds like a good idea, life has been ruff these past few months but I'm fighting thru it and flying helis is a great way to take my mind off things.

Can't wait to get back to fling every day and my new build.
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 03:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The X5 as it sits right now in stock form can only run about 530mm before the mains will touch the tails while 3Ding. will the heli your building have 40-50mm more distance from the main shaft to tail shaft? Very curious.

I was thinking about stretching my tail with an X7 boom about 50mm so I could run some 470's. Also thought about running the ALIGN 500 DFC head to get the disc SUPER low and the CG closer to the disc.
akamullen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

X7 with 470s

Or do you mean x4 with 470s.

I'm cutting down the x5 boom a few mm, if stock the x5 tail length can swing 530mm blades
I need to find the right distance to run 470's which should be 60 mm shorter than the 530's.
A shorter head is also a factor.

If I ever did get a x7 I would kill to try a 800 class setup on 16s.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionsx00 View Post
X7 with 470s

Or do you mean x4 with 470s.

I'm cutting down the x5 boom a few mm, if stock the x5 tail length can swing 530mm blades
I need to find the right distance to run 470's which should be 60 mm shorter than the 530's.
A shorter head is also a factor.

If I ever did get a x7 I would kill to try a 800 class setup on 16s.
Yeah, i was thinking 570mm. for sure shorter with 47o's, the problem would be disc loading. it will be much higher and the machine will feel/fly heavy. I would maybe think about running 470's on an X4 platform or rex 500, but the X5 will be a tad heavy for anything shorter than 500mm. I tried the 500mm and I thought it flew a tiny bit heavy, love the 520-523 blades though. thand the mavricks make it feel even more lighter yet, with there wide chords they seem to push a little more air. But I still like the 523's and the GAUI 520's.

The X7 boom I was talking about, was to be cut down to a little longer than the X5 stock boom to be able to run longer blades on the X5 to give some amazingly low disc loading.
akamullen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hehe, yeah 550's. I seen that before. Its what ever floats your boat.

I like the 425 disc size , I ran it before. I just hate the 2 stage drive train of the x4

It bit in the as5 before and its not going to happen again. I've flown a stretched Rex 500

swinging 470's and that thing was a tank. Back flips were horrible due to the weight.

The x5 frame is already light enough, it wont be a huge problem
Just gotta find the right pack size and head speed, I bet it will not be that much heavier than the x4 stock
Old 04-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tore into my old X5 torque tube and it needs new bearings, but my old X5 tail case fits perfect. I'm gonna run the x4 head assembly with x5 washouts and X5 on it since I have one on hand.

I still need to see how much to trim off the boom and torque tube , it won't be much

The x4 fbl head needs a new main shaft and spindle shaft, maybe bearings too.
The lite kit is really nice, bascily a really cheap parts kit for a x5 if a crash almost calls for a rekit.

I probably will keep the fb head it came with in case I come up with yet another project.

I'm.still.thinking it will be a great idea since they will share a lot of parts like my x2 and 200 do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in