Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Belt or TT?

So whats better to get for my next upgrade? Get a 450 with a belt fed tail of a tourque tube? Any input would be great!

Cory
Irunwire is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You may as well have just asked "What is the best religion?".

I makes no difference in performance.

The belt is a bit more forgiving if you should contact the ground with the tail blades.

If you set up the belt, so that it is very tight, it will have more drag than a torque tube. If you set it up properly (i.e. fairly loose-just tight enough so that the cogs don't skip) it will not have any more drag than a torque tube.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have heard the TT is "more efficient". AhClem suggests that is not necessarilly true. If you "land hard" or get into tall grass and snag the tail gears with a TT, you will be replacing some nylon gears for sure... so stock up on 'em. I'm on my 4th set of gears already. I have not owned / flown the belt version, but I would choose a belt if I were to start over again. Maybe when my skills are higher it won't matter.

Outrage G5, Tarot 450 Pro, Raptor G2, Blade MCPX
JesseChunn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am still on fp and want to transition to cp. I have been looking at the exi's as they fit into my budget currently. I can afford to spend a little bit more on the electronics so getting a clone maybe the way to go for now. 70 for a exi 450 pro belt or tt or 40 for a plastic version. the 70 give you an all metal head though so may lean that way. Thanks

Cory
Old 07-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

"I can afford to spend a little bit more on the electronics so getting a clone maybe the way to go for now"

That is very, very wise! The better the electronics, the better the machine will fly. It will decrease your learning time and enhance your flying experience.

With regard to the EXI 450, I have an EXI 450 Pro. I also have an Align 450 Pro.

I put the same electronics in both (JR 285mg servos for cyclic, 3500G on the tail, Futaba GY520 gyro-the best I could get), plus an external BEC. Both had the Align ESC and motor (which proved to be very good).

Both flew beautifully, and identically! The EXI wore out in some areas a bit faster, and the fit and finish of the parts on the Align machine was better, otherwise (IMHO), no difference.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay just ordered the EXI 450 Pro Carbon Fiber belt tail. Going to be a slow process but it has got to fit into the budget.

Cory
Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I built one of those, really like it. Don't cheap out on the gyro/rudder servo. It'll save you a lot of headaches.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Don't cheap out on the gyro/rudder servo."

I could not agree more!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

okay new to all of that so any suggestions on which to get? and any other help will help also! Thanks

Cory
Old 07-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Futaba GY 520 with a JR 3500G is what I prefer.

The Quark is also very good.

If you are going FBL, the BeastX is not too much more expensive than a good quality gyro.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

TT is only more efficient that belt at low headspeeds. So you will general find a TT heli autos a bit easier than a belt. At high h/s i.e. normal flying h.s there isnt any measurable difference in performance.

Ive never see anyone snap a belt. I know it happens but if you set the belt tension correctly they last. Im forever seeing TT gears strip. This can be from tail touching ground/grass..etc and they are require the mesh to be set correctly too.

TT will often cause additional vibes due to the TT shaft osculating. This can be reduced by carefully placing the TT bearing to help cancel out vibes.

Conclusion - go belt.
360Wings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Wings View Post
Im forever seeing TT gears strip. This can be from tail touching ground/grass..etc ...
(one thumbs up for each TT gear I have replaced in the last month.)

Outrage G5, Tarot 450 Pro, Raptor G2, Blade MCPX
JesseChunn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in