Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #701 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry for the delay. Here is the video of problem. As I was watching this I was wondering if the camera could be the problem? Should I be able to wave my hand below the camera and see movement in the swash if it was solid green??

When I try it starts to blink and does NOT show any movement in the swash plate...maybe try something with contrasting colors to trick the camera in stay solid green?

Here it is....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euwDxqDChm4[/ame]
dbrown777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #702 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown777 View Post
Sorry for the delay. Here is the video of problem. As I was watching this I was wondering if the camera could be the problem? Should I be able to wave my hand below the camera and see movement in the swash if it was solid green??

When I try it starts to blink and does NOT show any movement in the swash plate...maybe try something with contrasting colors to trick the camera in stay solid green?

Here it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euwDxqDChm4
Yes you should be able to see movement in the swash if you wave your hand below the camera.
Hold the heli high enough so that the LED is solid green ( motor not running ) and slowly move the heli forward and backwards and then side to side, try to keep it level while you do this. The swash should move in the opposite direction to correct if it does I suspect the surface you are flying over .
I have not tried to fly over dry grass, I normally fly over green grass or old concrete.
It is remotely possible that the surface you are flying over is the problem, try to find some green grass or a piece of patterned carpet is perfect.
It does not look like there is to much gain but the heli is nodding a bit see if a higher head speed will stop that. Ivor
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #703 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I made another attempt and she still needs some tweaking on the Balance Mode side...since that works the best!! (actually I think thats the only thing working!! LOL)

Placed it on a level surface of a good patch of green grass. Powered up with a solid green light. Here's the catch.....

When I move my hand underneath the camera I have swach movement. Hard to say shat direction because when I slide pass the camera it seems to be making a few corrections before the light starts blinking green.

When I just keep the heli stable (without tilting) and move it left/right and for/aft....I get very MINIMAL movement as if it were only responding to slight tilting from gyro. Move it fast in the forward direction and very little...if ANY swash counteraction. Almost stays completely level

Same for the rest of the movements. When I 'tilt' the heli the I get swash movement that counters the direction I am tilting.

I am at the point where I took off the training gear and setup using my askman mount. Took her for a flight 'mounted' and went CRAZY just as I left the ground!! I had to put tape over the camera to force it into balance mode in order to get up in the air.

Possible bad camera?? I doubt it since she was dancing all over with the large camera mount. Maybe turn down the gain and try again tomorrow in Position Mode??

Can I just drop the gain down to about -70% and keep it stable in Balance Mode Only?? Its one or the other unless I put the gain back on the receiver and control via Aux channel.

Any suggestions??

PS: I increased the head speed using a 0, 85, 85, 85, 100 throttle curve and it helped smooth things out!! Thank you... Tail is drifting a little now with more head speed...I might be able to increase the gain since its a slight drift and not wagging back and forth. Thanks for the tip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4638.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	167286   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4639.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	167287   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4643.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	167288   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4644.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	167289  
dbrown777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #704 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown777 View Post
So I made another attempt and she still needs some tweaking on the Balance Mode side...since that works the best!! (actually I think thats the only thing working!! LOL)

Placed it on a level surface of a good patch of green grass. Powered up with a solid green light. Here's the catch.....

When I move my hand underneath the camera I have swach movement. Hard to say shat direction because when I slide pass the camera it seems to be making a few corrections before the light starts blinking green.

When I just keep the heli stable (without tilting) and move it left/right and for/aft....I get very MINIMAL movement as if it were only responding to slight tilting from gyro. Move it fast in the forward direction and very little...if ANY swash counteraction. Almost stays completely level

Same for the rest of the movements. When I 'tilt' the heli the I get swash movement that counters the direction I am tilting.

I am at the point where I took off the training gear and setup using my askman mount. Took her for a flight 'mounted' and went CRAZY just as I left the ground!! I had to put tape over the camera to force it into balance mode in order to get up in the air.

Possible bad camera?? I doubt it since she was dancing all over with the large camera mount. Maybe turn down the gain and try again tomorrow in Position Mode??

Can I just drop the gain down to about -70% and keep it stable in Balance Mode Only?? Its one or the other unless I put the gain back on the receiver and control via Aux channel.

Any suggestions??

PS: I increased the head speed using a 0, 85, 85, 85, 100 throttle curve and it helped smooth things out!! Thank you... Tail is drifting a little now with more head speed...I might be able to increase the gain since its a slight drift and not wagging back and forth. Thanks for the tip.
With the gain set correctly and LED solid green you would only see small movements of the swash If you moved the heli forward or backward by hand only one or two mm. That is all that is required to hold it in position mode once the heli is trimmed. It will of course move more if the heli is tipped.
To check that your are getting a responce from the camera temporarally increase the gain to max and the swash movement will increase.
Are you able to hold the heli in a stable hover with FM turned off or in balance mode ?.
I Have seen a similar problem twice before, the first time was because the transmitter had a lot of elevator subtrim still programmed in, this restricted elevator movement.
The second was caused by a tight head mainly flybar ( to much locktite ) so the servos could not move the head the small amounts needed for position mode.
Do you have some expo set on your radio, try -50% on elevator and aileron.This will make the stick a lot less sensitive arouned its centre point.
Hope this helps. Ivor
Old 07-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #705 (permalink)
Registered Users

hi being new to all of this could some one help me set up the kds on a honey bee king 3
any digrams would be a great help thanks
AGDFRY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #706 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDFRY View Post
hi being new to all of this could some one help me set up the kds on a honey bee king 3
any digrams would be a great help thanks
Hi if you are useing the stock transmitter it cannot be used with Flymentor. Ivor
Old 07-11-2010, 03:12 AM   #707 (permalink)
Registered Users

useing a dx6i
Old 07-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #708 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good start
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #709 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
useing a dx6i
Hi basic instuctions are provided in the first post of the thread Flymentor wiring and servo help for beginners.
How far have you got, do you have the programme up and running ?. Do you have connection between FM and you PC ?. Ivor
Old 07-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #710 (permalink)
Registered Users

just waiting for of the fm delivery i need to setup the dx6i then when i get the fm
so i am starting from scratch forgot to add mine is a 2.4 ghz heli :o
Old 07-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #711 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
just waiting for of the fm delivery i need to setup the dx6i then when i get the fm
so i am starting from scratch forgot to add mine is a 2.4 ghz heli :o
To start you need to set the swash type to 1 servo, set all trims and subtrims to 0.Set travel adjust to 100% and set all servo reverses to normal exept throttle,leave that as it is. I hope you pc has xp. Ivor
Old 07-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #712 (permalink)
Registered Users

vista but i do have laptop (the wifes) with xp
Old 07-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #713 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.startheli.com/product_inf...roducts_id=845
anyone tried this ?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #714 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Flymentor will work with Windows 7 and Vista. You just CAN NOT download from the Flymentor to the computer. But you can upload from the computer to the Flymentor. What you need to do is save a copy of your settings to your hard drive each time you upload a change (either before or after - it doesn't matter). That way you have your starting point for the next change. If you try downloading from the Flymentor, you get random numbers that differ each time! I have tried downloading from the Flymentor to an XP computer and have verified that the Flymentor values were as set in Windows 7. If the Flymentor doesn't accept the upload (as happened to me once) the software hangs. I restarted the program and uploaded the default values to the Flymentor. I loaded my settings from the hard drive into the program. It then successfully uploaded the second time. I think the Flymentor manual makes reference to the Flymentor "getting confused" by too many changes! Anyway, just make sure that you store your changes on your hard drive and you should have no trouble reprogramming the Flymentor with Windows Vista or Windows 7.
GGrant is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #715 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
vista but i do have laptop (the wifes) with xp
Go to page 16 post 155 of this thread and download the programme from there it is more reliable that the supplied disc. You can download the manual from the KDS site.
Once you have FM wired up and able to connect to the software, if you would like I will talk you through the set up by phone.It would be quicker and easier. Ivor
Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #716 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default FM blinking green

I have the FM setup and working somewhat on a Trex 450 clone. The FM is flying using the sw control. The green LED is always blinking. Any suggestions?
Neal
Nobert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #717 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where are you flying it and if outside over grass do you check if it goes solid ever?
Old 07-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #718 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm flying it off of a concrete pad. Maybe not enough contrast???
Neal
Nobert is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #719 (permalink)
Registered Users

Precisely
Old 07-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #720 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flymentor on a 250-300 size heli?

I've set up two CPII's on 450 size helicopters, and like it a lot. I have a smaller heli that I would like to try the Flymentor on.
Has anyone put one on a small helicopter, and if so, how did it work?

Does the Flymentor stabilize similar to CPII in that if I center the stick, the heli will flatten out?
I'm not so much interested in the position hold, even though that would be cool, as much as I am having the security of knowing that the heli will right itself and fly straight if I need it, as the CPII does.

Thanks!
Woody_99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in