Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

NM.

Last edited by BigRHS; 02-19-2012 at 12:51 AM..
BigRHS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you timatworksg for this very well written and documented guide for the DX6i backlight modification

Below is a picture of my DX6i with the white LCD backlight:

bbeaty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Delivery Time

I also ordered the backlight from HobbyKing (about 4 days ago). How long does it take them to update shipment dats? Tracking info?

Also, how long did it take some of your packages arrive?

Thanks!
bekeatts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekeatts View Post
I also ordered the backlight from HobbyKing (about 4 days ago). How long does it take them to update shipment dats? Tracking info?

Also, how long did it take some of your packages arrive?

Thanks!
I didn't get any kind of tracking info. It just stated it was shipped, and it took me about a 1-12 days for it to ship, then about another 2 weeks for it to get here...(got mine this past week)
Slimwood Shady is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ordered on the 8th, and just received the shipping notification yesterday. Now the wait for it to get here begins....
DVC
RCNet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

@bbeaty
Nicely done! Grats on the Mod! sigh*** blue again...lol!

I've bought lotsa stuff from HobbyKing and never had much issues or problems. The risk I find is that you may get a 'dud' or something broken along the way during shipment. You can email them and they are prompt in replies, you could even call if you'd like...but to send it back and wait again isn't worth the hassle for me. So far I only had one weird servo...but didn't bother and kept it for the gears as spares.

Shipment timings depend really. I normally get a tracking number and either go registered mail (if I'm in no rush) or SpeedPost/EMS if I'm desperate or grab a kit or FPV. I got anything from 1 week to 3 weeks depending on how they go about it and what your mailing choices are. They ship in bulk by weight so hence the weird delays here and there. If they use a mailing service for you that has tracking services you would probably get a tracking number.

They have a Lipo mAh limit for shipment so you gotta balance what you buy. Only hate it when they go SwissPost....it flies round the world to Zurich-Frankfurt-then somewhere in between before it gets to Singapore! Considering I'm a mere 4hrs flight to Hong Kong....sigh**

Anyhow...they are the cheapest item wise I've found so far. And they do stock everything your RC desires need...so kinda hard to beat. Unless I need something quicker...I pay a little more per item from another dealer based in Hong Kong such as Low Price RC. I pay more but shipment has no delays as they will pack and mail. Shipment options are similar in choices but there's no delay in between.

I believe many in the States have used HK and though some problems exist,...they still are the ones to look for. Overall...I'm ok with their services, could be better but I always order way way before I actually need something...lol!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My Dx6i Mod

Thanks so much for the info! I have successfully modded my radio. The hardest part was removing the little white plugs! Great fun and really enjoyable. Could not have done it without your awesome instructions.

I chose to use the plug that came with the backlight and all worked out great. Thanks again.
kiwiscanflyrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry for threadjacking Tim on my different radio. Hopefully it helps a little.

Alright, I finally made some progress on my DX3C backlight. After patiently waiting for two weeks my true EL Panel arrived from Virtual Village (Hong Kong).

The EL Panel consists of the electroluminescent panel itself and an inverter (DC input to AC output). I was able to cut the panel to size, cover the exposed edges with clear packing tape, and slide it behind the LCD assembly.

Here's what it looks like. Now I just have to solder the wires in somewhere on the Tx. It's on the pinker side of red but I like it.

cbp27 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Successful DX6i Backlight Installation...

Thank you for posting this Turnigy Backlight to DX6i tutorial. I followed it to the letter, and everything worked perfectly. Here is a picture of the results.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-26_19-54-11_176.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	293741
biggyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey, Tim thank you very much your tutorial was very helpful and informative.
I ordered the blue backlit screen a couple weeks ago and installed it this morning. Works great.

Mark
Markmax1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNet View Post
I ordered on the 8th, and just received the shipping notification yesterday. Now the wait for it to get here begins....
Just to close out the timeline for ordering the backlight from HK for those curious on how long it takes.

Ordered on Feb. 8, it shipped Feb. 18, and it arrived on Mar. 1.
DVC
RCNet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNet View Post
Just to close out the timeline for ordering the backlight from HK for those curious on how long it takes.

Ordered on Feb. 8, it shipped Feb. 18, and it arrived on Mar. 1.
I just ordered mine so i guess i am looking at around the 1st of April then.
Ah well, that gives me plenty of time to go over & study the mod instructions before I attempt it !
Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks timatworksg for an easy to follow tut. I have done this mod to my 7 year old son dx6i and he is over the moon as it now looks like my dx8. I did a little extra mod to make a power on led indicator like the dx8. I thought I'd share the result with you guys.

dinislam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok just ordered my kit today. Which tutorial is the easiest to follow. I would hate to brick my transmitter.
navyjay007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm a complete noob to all this and I just finished the mod.. took me about 45 minutes, had no problems at all. GREAT TUTORIAL!!

Oh, I ordered from HK on 3/5, item shipped on 3/6 and I got it on 3/16.

I went with white panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120319_191715.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	300393  
MattO. is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

WOOHOO....

Just completed my (not blue) mod.....

UnionJack72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattO. View Post
I'm a complete noob to all this and I just finished the mod.. took me about 45 minutes, had no problems at all. GREAT TUTORIAL!!

Oh, I ordered from HK on 3/5, item shipped on 3/6 and I got it on 3/16.

I went with white panel.
I sure hope I get mine soon. i ordered mine on the 5th also and still have not got it. I just checked their site and it say's that it has been shipped so maybe I'll get it soon.
It doesn't really matter since i had to send my new DX6i back for repairs already.
I tried to fly my MSRX and it just went crazy. I could not control it. i tried to rebind with it & that didn't work so i tried to bind with my other 4 Blade heli's and it would not bind with any of them. I called Specktrum's support and they said it sounded like the transmitter inside had gone bad and had me ship it to them. Been gone for about 5 days now so I hope to get it back soon.
Even if my backlight comes in I don't think i will do the mod for a while.......at least until i am sure that my tx is fixed. if this would have happened after I did the backlight mod it wouldn't have been covered by the warranty.......thank god it happen when it did....!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got my backlight kit today !! Now all I need is my radio back !
Old 03-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hello to All!

Sorry if I've not been that active here. Other commitments take me away from the cyber world....which is good I guess...lol!

Great to see others here who have tried out the mod. Glad it helped. Once again I'm no electronics expert so any advice from others here is greatly appreciated if it helps another. My backlight is still going strong on my DX6i and the only thing changed was better batteries for the Tx.

@BigRHS
Good thing you sent your Tx in before the mod. Yeah...the warranty would have been void and the blame put to the mod, etc etc...sheesh! Don't they just know that they have issues with their Tx's!!
Let us know how the mod goes once your get your Tx back! Hope it all works out well! I so need to get another Tx...it's about that time when electronic items start getting kooky and periodically may fail on you. hehe!

@UnionJack72
Congrats! Glad the Tute helped! Nice and GREEN!! YAY! I don't feel so alone now...haha!

@MattO
I'm just as noob. But if one is handy with self-fix any mod is possible. Great job! And yeah the white looks nice too!

@navyjay007
Whichever tutorial you find easier to follow and within your capabilities and equipment should be the one to go for. I wouldn't say mine is the best or easy, just that I tried to detail everything as clearly as possible so others can mod the mod. You shouldn't brick your Tx in anyway unless you get solder on 2 points and cause a short somewhere. With any mod, take your time and ensure everything is at the ready. Visualise before you unscrew something or disconnect a wire. Use your cellphone if it has a camera! Grabbing a pic before you undo something ensures you have a visual reference to know where it went originally! Find a time without interruptions and if you are, keep the work area neat and organized so when you get back you know where you left off. Grab help if needed, like soldering if your not proficient enough. Even if it means delaying the mod....the time waiting ensures proper work in the end. Lastly take your time to read through the various available tutorials. Envision yourself working using those tutorials with reference to the equipment you have available. Then you will know what is possible and what is needed. Hope that helps!!

@dinislam
Great work! I love that extra mod you did to make it Dx8 looking!! I so gotta try that. Once I get a higher end Tx I can fool with the DX6i again. I was thinking of removing the covers and getting them painted (hehe) and maybe stick on some foam around the hand hold areas. Kinda personalizing it....hopefully soon!

Thanks to all who are and have done this mod. Glad that it works for you and you found it easy. Take care all and I will pop back in again!!
God Bless!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Any pics of the inside, or tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinislam View Post
Thanks timatworksg for an easy to follow tut. I have done this mod to my 7 year old son dx6i and he is over the moon as it now looks like my dx8. I did a little extra mod to make a power on led indicator like the dx8. I thought I'd share the result with you guys.
You didn't happen to write up a tutorial for that did you, or follow someone else's? I would love to see one, looks like a great mod!
El Guero is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in