Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 120 sr receiver keeps switching off!

Hi there,

I hope someone has had this problem and can help me out, its very frustrating.
Basically it took a ton of tries to get the 120 sr bound to my new Dx6i.

But when it did finally work, i only ever managed to lift off the ground for a few seconds before the light on the receiver would switch off and the TX would have no effect on the heli!
So I would unplug the battery, plug it back in, it would pick up the transmitter again (solid light) and then REPEAT eg. few seconds later, receiver light goes off, no input

Sometimes it would stop working but the blades would still be spinning and i'd have to run around the room trying to catch it.

Any ideas? Very frustrating.

Thanks in advance,
Jay
JayP is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

and also, I just tried to rebind to see if that fixes anything...It won't bind. I've tried 20 time it just wont bind.

Something wrong with the receiver?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

How close is your tx to your heli when binding, should not be to close. Are batterys in Tx fully charged.
markus45 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I read that, i've been keeping it about 3 ft away while trying to bind. Also the tx batts are brand new. still no luck.

Thanks for the reply.

Jay
Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus45 View Post
How close is your tx to your heli when binding, should not be to close.
I've always been curious as to the rationale behind this...I've had my TX sitting right next to my heli plenty of times while binding and never had an issue...anybody know?
Heli-cat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

oh and by the way, the 120 sr is also new, I got a BNF version.
So it seems like even though i cant rebind it, if i switch on the tx first and then plug the heli battery in, it connects. But like my original post, as i lift off, or even just move the right stick around it will suddenly just stop, receiver light off for a few seconds no response and then BAM, reconnects to tx automatically, over and over and over. ARG!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

could have loose connections at the red plugs ..either the heli female red connector or the male battery red connector . I find them to be to tight and have pulled loose some wires when trying to disconnect
jaybird111 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmm, well from what I can tell the connections seem to be fine. Does anybody know who I should contact about being given faulty parts here in the UK?

Horizon has support but only in the US. maybe I should call the shop I got it from...

I dont have enough technical knowledge to know how to fix it if its an actual problem with the ESC/receiver board thing. so disappointing, havent even had a chance to use it yet, last time i tried to spin it up the tail motor seemed to have completely stopped working as well...and then it all died as usual.

Thanks for the replys
Old 05-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Definitely contact the retailer that sold it to you...sure is an odd problem, and you shouldn't have to be stuck with it.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
oh and by the way, the 120 sr is also new, I got a BNF version.
So it seems like even though i cant rebind it, if i switch on the tx first and then plug the heli battery in, it connects. But like my original post, as i lift off, or even just move the right stick around it will suddenly just stop, receiver light off for a few seconds no response and then BAM, reconnects to tx automatically, over and over and over. ARG!
Fresh batteries in the Tx?

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yup, fresh battery's.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought I had a problem with the 5 in 1 board but what it turned out to be was the wire connections would cause the break in power . Mine would seem to be fine and power up , gyro start and have a steady light but with some flight it would lose power. Just after some careful testing on the ground I found that the wires would lose power if they were moved in a certain way.

Jiggle them some and move them around and see if the light stays on .
Old 05-31-2012, 04:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

No luck, and I broke one of the ball joints off the swash while trying to take the 5-in-1 off fora better look. This is ridiculous...
Old 05-31-2012, 05:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

So...the store I got it from told me to call horizon hobby here in the uk, so I did that, and the guy there told me to send the 5-in-1 to them in the post with a covering letter, proof of purchase and return address, and they would take a look at it.

I've had this thing for 4 days without being able to even use it and now it looks like I'm going to be waiting a hell if a lot longer still so frustrated.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird111 View Post
I thought I had a problem with the 5 in 1 board but what it turned out to be was the wire connections would cause the break in power . Mine would seem to be fine and power up , gyro start and have a steady light but with some flight it would lose power. Just after some careful testing on the ground I found that the wires would lose power if they were moved in a certain way.

Jiggle them some and move them around and see if the light stays on .
Well this sound pretty much like my problem, could I go about fixing these wires myself? I haven't sent the board in yet
Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

What happened with mine is that the red connectors for attaching the battery were too tight . After a few flights and tugging on the red connectors/wires to unplug and hook up another battery there became loose connections in side the red connectors. On one bird I replaced and spliced a new connector to it. The other bird was not loose enough to warrant that and some tight wrapping of electrical tape to the wires and connector help prevent any more tugging on the wires. I also pulled loose wires on two batteries . My friend did a re-solder job on those . I have since sanded my battery leads a little on three sides to make for a looser fit .
Old 05-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I learned my lesson the hard way, when removing the battery to ensure I have a solid grip on the connector coming off the board as well as taking care to keep a little slack in the wires when disconnecting. I also don't jam the connectors in tightly - just enough to make a solid connecion...haven't had any loose wiring issues since adopting this method
Old 06-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply's guys. Problem is it was like this straight out of the box, and the fact is I still can't get it to rebind. If I knew what I was doing and could put a new connection on to test then I probably would, but as it stands i guess im just going to have to send it in.

Unless i just buy a new 5-in-1 instead, i'll be upset if sending this off to horizon and waiting for them to send it/or a new one back is going to take ages.

Jay
Old 06-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has the red antenna wire broken off the 5n1?

USAF RETIRED 1968-1988 Vietnam Veteran
Pfloyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #20 (permalink)
HF MR Support

I know this is a long shot, but could the flight battery charger be defective and not properly charging the battery(s)?
Skapr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in