Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Ladies with Helis & Heli Widows

Ladies with Helis & Heli Widows Ladies who fly Helis and Wives of Heli Flyers. Guys, please leave the new threads to the ladies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

IRCHA is a safe haven for us heli-nerds to hang out and have everything in the context of helicopters. It's like Woodstock for helis, without the drugs. If you can go, you will never want to miss it again. There is also an area setup just for learning and getting setup help. It's a distance from the crazy flying of the demos and the crowd.ne of the fellas I know not only took his Blade 400 with training gear with him, but he was featured in the IRCHA edition of Model Aviation....TWICE from his visit. Was pretty cool!
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't even remember how many times I have crashed my Blade 450 and t-rex 450 clones. Thanks to everyone reviewed the secret "we all do crashes". I just realized that not long ago lol. When I first started this hobby and crashed a couple times and I almost throw my dx6i to the trash pile, I felt I was the dumbest rc heli pilot ever. I felt so bit down and thought I have no talent on this hobby at all. I was doing really well on the sim but just can't get that bird flying as I intended to. Months go by I have given up my sim and bring my 450 to the field almost everyday. Now I can fly figure 8 and roll etc. I still crashed every now and then. I just believed it is the nature of this hobby, I was trying some new tricks couple weeks ago and crashed both of my 450s.(half piro and invert flying), sometime it is just because of the tuning or hav no experience from the tricks and it takes time to get piloting skill advance. I wish they do have IRCHA close to where I live, it sounds really interesting. I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. :-(

Please feel free on the comment, I wish to learn more from you all.
samk002001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned User

In 1 to 3 years when your doing flips and flying around inverted be sure to come back and look at this thread. It will keep you humble.

In the 2 years I've had my blade 400 its been crashed almost 20 times. The worst was when the gyro tape failed and the crappy stock piezo gyro dangled from its wires. You can have a $100+ crash with the blade, trust me. Almost every time I crashed, I upgraded something. Now I have a heli that barely resembles a stock B400 and it is super smooth.

Now put some training gear on that 500 and just hover a foot or two off the deck. The extra amount of corrections needed to fly in the ground effect will be good practice. If it starts to feel sketchy, just drop the throttle a bit and land.

Once you get good, drop by the night flying section. You know you wanna.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

To add, I have always flown with 0 degree at mid stick, i have not learned any other way. I was also learned to always be in idle 2 and then throw the hold switch off. I tried to fly in flight mode but it threw me off due to the changing head speed. I like the constant stable head speed it makes it much easier to control. We all have different ways of learning, but it also helped because when i do go inverted or flips, I never have to worry oh shoot am I in idle up? I know I am because I started there.
sarah1097 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

LH...

Please strongly consider going to IRCHA. I think if you elect not too, you will be missing out.

Also,

Do not get hung up on your flying abilities. I hang out with some seriously great pilots in our groups. All of them leaps and bounds ahead of me. I know that I will never be a 3d master, but I have fun with my abilities and I am getting pushed every time I fly with them a little further out of my comfort zone. It is a progression. if you got your hovering down in the sim, its time to strongly think about making the jump in real life, besides, they make parts for a reason.. DONT WORRY ABOUT WHAT EVERYONE ELSE THINKS!!! Even the best crash...

Soooo... better be at IRCHA... I am going to have Pinion do a ITP (In The Pocket) with you.. I guess since I drive his bus for him, I can throw some pull and arrange the interview.... YEEEESssssss...

so get out there, get some flights....
Old 04-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehammer05 View Post
Well I don't have the 500 yet, it's a long story. I really want to fly, I do, I just want to feel ready. I'm not sure if anyone ever feels "ready" to fly the first time, but I feel like I would crash within seconds. Part of the reason I wanted to go to IRCHA was so I could see more people fly and get tips and stuff from them and learn, I feel like that may be taken away from me. =(
I'm trying hard each and every day, but I'm such a beginner compared to the people around me, I only know 3 other people that fly helis around here and they are WAY better than I am. Plus they have all flown real helis and I just feel stupid even trying.
I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone suggested that you try buddy-boxing? If you are really worried about planting it into the ground within seconds, then have someone more experienced buddy-box with you. They can take off and get it up 30 or 40 feet, and then you can try hovering at a safe altitude... if that works out then you can do some FF. If things start to go south, your buddy can take back control and land for you.

That might be all it takes for you to get over the initial fear you have. Once you realize that you can hover at 30', the rest will be a little less stressful. Hope it all goes well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in