Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Awe man my MSH stock ESC started acting weird!

Hi all,

What do you think here...

I posted earlier about a wobble in my adapter shaft for the motor. Mr Corsair recommended I only use one grub screw so I did that and it really seemed to help the wobble in the main shaft.

Anyway, I put it all back together, I take the blades OFF for saftey, and I plug in the battery. My ESC starts to act weird. It does not give the usual BEEEEP-BEEPBEEP. It started to give erratic beeps and THEN...

Suddenly the motor started to chug, and I dunno what the hell was going on, something was slipping, I dunno if the pinion was trying to move but couldn't or if the motor was spinning inside the adapter rod, or what, just this clicking motor trying to do something noise. In SHORT, at LOW STICK that damn motor was trying to run!!! Yes, DX7 settings were correct!

I pulled the battery plug and noticed the disheartening smell of something burning, the motor was hot, but not crazy hot to the touch.

So, what I did was, I reprogrammed the ESC again with the programming board. Then I plugged the throttle back in and then re-binded my radio. After that, the couple times I tried to start up appeared normal.

I'm hoping to find out today if I fried anything by testing it outside. I have yet to fly the thing.

I am hoping that maybe the ESC lost programming from all my fiddling around or I needed to give the receiver a final binding with all equipment hooked up. God, I would hate to have to wait yet another week for spare parts.

srhadden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What ESC is that?
ayash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Be sure to turn the throttle trim all the way down, the digital slider is halfway up, on the screen. Turn down = throttle zero
Old 02-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stock MSH ESC, new kit.

Mmm, never thought about the trim, I always had throttle at zero. You saying I should be turning the trim down to zero too?? Then what? When I know it's all setup and working put it back to the middle?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure the throttle trim does anything on electrics. The ESC should set it's throttle endpoints when plugged in, right? Either way, you should do your setup in throttle hold.

I can't really explain what you experienced.
CatchmyCorsair is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

It sounds weird but you might need to rebind your receiver. Reset your throttle channel endpoints, subtrims, and trim then rebind. Re-initialize everything and see if the ESC is still acting weird.
ping is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the ESC acts strange on the very first spool up you better not use it and return it to the shop and ask for a new one. Tell them i told you

Corrado
Old 02-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFreq View Post
Tell them i told you
Corrado
HAHA! That's awesome...
Old 02-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You weren't perchance just reading the thread I read about how ESC calibrates 0 based on power-up? And if you power up in TH and have it set to -6% it will be bad for the mojo?

Well, I set my TH to 0% and THAT wasn't a good idea... I had to adjust it down on the fly to get the blades to stop...

Jim

PS: With the support channel that MSH is working, it would be like heaven to have an LHS who deals MSH and could swap, upgrade, etc.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickybit View Post
You weren't perchance just reading the thread I read about how ESC calibrates 0 based on power-up? And if you power up in TH and have it set to -6% it will be bad for the mojo?

Well, I set my TH to 0% and THAT wasn't a good idea... I had to adjust it down on the fly to get the blades to stop...

Jim

PS: With the support channel that MSH is working, it would be like heaven to have an LHS who deals MSH and could swap, upgrade, etc.
So you're saying to keep TH at -6%? I just went to adjust mine to 0% then read your next line.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickybit View Post

Jim

I DID have my throttle hold setting for -5% which is the default on the DX7.

Well, here is the latest. After my problem and weirdness last night on the bench, I reporgrammed and re-binded to the receiver.

I was able to take the heli out at lunch today and the ESC booted up normally for both batteries. Seems OK now.

I think the lesson here is that if the ESC is not starting normally I should immediately unplug the battery, and if it acts up again I will ask for a replacement and will say Corrado said so!!

Last edited by srhadden; 02-13-2009 at 05:10 PM..
Old 02-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

If rebinding fixed your issues then it was probably not the ESC but rather the Spektrum receiver. This is similar to why you should always rebind your transmitter if you change any settings in your gyro.

Spektrum receivers when first powered on sends out center channel positions that were set during the bind process. After they establish a link with the transmitter is when trims/subtrims/endpoints are set.

It sounds like you had trim, throttle hold, something incorrectly set when you first bound your receiver and fixed it later without rebinding.
ping is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dang, I was working on the heli tonight, trying to get my tail section to move more freely. I removed the blades and plugged in the battery to set my gyro, and the ESC did the same thing again. I touched NOTHING on the heli except the tail, no electronics.

It gave a kind of erratic beep and then the motor started to kind of chug or go into convulsions.

I guess this could just be the ESC? I'll have to call rchover tomorrow and ask if they will replace it. :-(
Old 02-14-2009, 02:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

As i told you yesterday, if the ESC acts strange DO NOT use it!!! Have the shop change it!!!

Corrado
Old 02-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

on the Dx7, with throttle cut in disable mode, the center trim is at 0%, no need to trim down on N.
4cyclic is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFreq View Post
As i told you yesterday, if the ESC acts strange DO NOT use it!!! Have the shop change it!!!

Corrado
Thank you Corrado! I am listening to you now. I was in denial about it and thought maybe it was a fluke and it would be OK. I will have it replaced.

Thank you again.

ciao
Old 02-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mine let the magic smoke out today...
Its 1 day old
Did a bench test and setup with 4 digitals hooked up, 2 mins in and pufffff.
Didnt even had a chance to spool it up. Looks like BEC chip died.

Already mailed ReadyHeli for replacement

Wesp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	msh esc.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	82844  
wespen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dang, that sucks. I am still waiting for my replacement Align ESC. I am hoping it comes today.

I always think back, what did I do wrong? But I remember the very first time I spooled up, the ESC was not initializing properly, it took a couple of pulls of the battery before it worked, and then it was kind of hit or miss on whether it would initialize properly and then it would do the scary motor convulsing sometimes. Werid.

At this point I just want to get my new heli in the air. I'm excited to fly it. I only had a couple of hovers when the ESC was working.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespen View Post
Mine let the magic smoke out today...
Its 1 day old
Did a bench test and setup with 4 digitals hooked up, 2 mins in and pufffff.
Didnt even had a chance to spool it up. Looks like BEC chip died.

Already mailed ReadyHeli for replacement

Wesp
I thought you eventually went for the Jazz?

Did you manage to get some feeling of the MSH ESC before it died? How is it compared to the CC80?
ayash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, this is from my second Protos kit I bought when I was in USA
Kontronik is on my pimped up bird

Didnt even spool up MSH ESC, just connected all servos and doing sub-trims when it poofed.

Im putting my CC80 back untill replacement comes in.
Kudos to ReadyHeli, they already sent replacement.

Wesp
wespen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in