Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X

mCP X Blade Micro CPx Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hyperion 320 first flights

I figured out that you can file the JST connector down that comes with the Hyp 320, and it will then fit in the mCP's connector. This is taking a risk on my part, as you can put it in reversed and fry your heli...

Well, this battery certainly provides more head speed. It also gives the tail more authority to the point that I had to trim it nose left for roughly the first two and a half minutes of the battery, whereupon the head-speed comes down to normal and the tail starts holding once more. The initial "hit" lasts about 1:30, and then about another minute where it falls off slightly but is still stronger than stock.

I was just hovering it indoors to get an idea of the capacity with a few pitch pumps to gauge power. Where 5 minutes puts my Eflite battery to about 17-22%, 6 minutes on the Hyp 320 took it to 3.76 V or 17%. This was only the second run of the battery, but that conforms to what I expected based on the 1st battery, which was 3.79 V or 27% at 5 minutes. For the third run, I did not hear the minute beep at 6 minutes and ran it to 6:50, which resulted in 3.72 or 15%. The voltage came up some after a few minutes, and when I put it on the charger, it started at 27% and took 242 mah. I believe that the cycling improved the battery's performance some.

Another interesting thing is that the Hyperion ran 11F cooler than the Eflite battery that I flew between the two Hyperion flights.

I then took it outside and loaded an Eflite battery and did a few hard pitch pumps then switched it out for the Hyperion. The extra power is very noticeable. I'd say the climb on a pitch pump is just about doubled. You can still hear the motor load up, but the heli just jumps.

The extra climb was so unexpected that I wound up going too high in the evening twilight and loosing orientation. I ended up crashing the heli, and not getting to TH as soon as I normally do, so the main gear popped completely off and I lost the lower main bearing.

If I can find a bearing today, I'll put the 240 Hyperion in and try that out, but so far, I think the 320 is going to be a big hit. I still find it hard to believe that this battery made such a big difference in performance, but it does. I wish I had been able to do some more outdoor pitch pumps to see how it compared at the lower end of the battery. Maybe today...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtmVuOAL9c8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZV3g3Ig65M[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOtavKCtsUc[/ame]
PZ Night Vapor, Ember and UM Mosquito. M-A-E Penguin

Last edited by VaderSS; 03-20-2011 at 01:34 PM..
VaderSS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool! Thanks for the info. You could mark a red dot with a sharpie on your battery connector as a reminder of which way to plug it in. Did you have to modify the stock battery holder to get the new battery to fit?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknokreeper View Post
Did you have to modify the stock battery holder to get the new battery to fit?
I taped the battery to the bottom of the canopy for my tests. I have the Dylwad mounts for Hyperions, but have not installed them yet. I plan on putting them on spare landing gears for easy swap outs.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSS View Post
I taped the battery to the bottom of the canopy for my tests. I have the Dylwad mounts for Hyperions, but have not installed them yet. I plan on putting them on spare landing gears for easy swap outs.

Thanks for the tip!
So the 240's and 320's are the same size and both will fit in Dylwad mounts?

Thanks
Blair
Old 03-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPINE View Post
So the 240's and 320's are the same size and both will fit in Dylwad mounts?

Thanks
Blair
No, there is a different mount for each. I plan on putting the mounts on 2 different spare landing gears so I can easily swap them out.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just figured out that the Dylwad 320 mount will also securely hold the Eflite and Hyperion 240 batteries. They bulge the mount a bit, but I don't think it will hurt it.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm very interested in trying this out. I'd love to do anything to get a bit more tail authority... after the first minute or so it has a hard time keeping up with more aggressive manuevers.
WonderedUnder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

where do you get the mounts and battries???
superjet112x is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You get them here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1405618
BPINE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanx!!!!!
superjet112x is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

How are you getting 5 minutes of flight time with the stock battery? At 3 minutes my mcpx doesn't even have the power to lift off the ground!!
heliface is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flying in normal mode. I can fly it over 6 minutes before it hits the cut-off. 5 minutes takes it down to 16-22%. Done that since new.

Gets squirrelly in the last minute though.

Do you have zero pitch at mid stick?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone taken the risk to try the 500mah 12C from the 120SR? I used alittle heat from a lighter to soften the stock mcpx battery tray/holder, then the 120SR battery slide right in. After a few rounds it fits no problem......BUT i havent changed the plug on the battery in fear of frying the board. I have a spare eflite charging adapter for it that i could use the female end and solder to the boards battery wire to accept this battery.

Im also in the process of doing a brushless main and tail swap in my "spare" mcpx, lol. If the only problem is the that the stock main and tail motors cant handle the 500mah battery but the board can then maybe i could still use it in the brushless setup...https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...ight=brushless

anyone have any thoughts???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-03-25_12-12-40_451.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	217301   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-03-25_12-12-17_653.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	217302   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-03-25_12-12-02_179.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	217303  
daneger21 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneger21 View Post
Has anyone taken the risk to try the 500mah 12C from the 120SR? I used alittle heat from a lighter to soften the stock mcpx battery tray/holder, then the 120SR battery slide right in. After a few rounds it fits no problem......BUT i havent changed the plug on the battery in fear of frying the board. I have a spare eflite charging adapter for it that i could use the female end and solder to the boards battery wire to accept this battery.

Im also in the process of doing a brushless main and tail swap in my "spare" mcpx, lol. If the only problem is the that the stock main and tail motors cant handle the 500mah battery but the board can then maybe i could still use it in the brushless setup...https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...ight=brushless

anyone have any thoughts???
and yes that was a spare landing gear that was broken, and yes the batterys alittle tweaked. i did that in about 3secs of work, bahaha
Old 03-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

The battery charge lead from the 120 will fit the mCP connector if you wiggle it back and forth to get the mCP connector's terminals to slide in. I have no idea what the current rating for that lead is though.

You can also file down the connector on the 500 and it will fit in the mCP's connector. You MUST make sure you have the polarity right when you plug in though or you WILL fry your board. Once filed down, it can also be inserted reversed in the 120 SR and in the charger lead.

I have not tried the 500, but I have tried an Oversky 400. It had rougly the same discharge curve as the stock 200, but I was able to make an 8 minute hovering flight. The last couple of minutes felt like the last minute on a stock batt.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The battery charge lead from the 120 will fit the mCP connector if you wiggle it back and forth to get the mCP connector's terminals to slide in. I have no idea what the current rating for that lead is though.

You can also file down the connector on the 500 and it will fit in the mCP's connector. You MUST make sure you have the polarity right when you plug in though or you WILL fry your board. Once filed down, it can also be inserted reversed in the 120 SR and in the charger lead.

I have not tried the 500, but I have tried an Oversky 400. It had rougly the same discharge curve as the stock 200, but I was able to make an 8 minute hovering flight. The last couple of minutes felt like the last minute on a stock batt.
I would assume white to white, black to black...?? lol
Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneger21 View Post
I would assume white to white, black to black...?? lol
Yes, but if you get in a hurry...

'Course, some manage to stuff keyed connectors in the wrong way.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes, but if you get in a hurry...

'Course, some manage to stuff keyed connectors in the wrong way.
your right, not sure if im still gonna try it. ill wait until im done with the dual brushless setup to see if i need more juice
Old 03-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well i gave in, i tried the 500mah 12c from the 120SR. Waaay to heavy, havent flown my 120 in awhile so maybe the batteries alittle weak from not using. Either way i only flew it once with the one battery, but it just seemed way to heavy, bogged the head big time on pitch punches.

Maybe my battery or maybe just to heavy. Im sure others will try...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in