Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3000 rpm too much??

I have an align Trex 500 CF its been converted to a TT with a DFC head using a
Specktrum AR7200bx Controller and a Castle 90 ESC.. I upgraded the pinion to
16t main gear is 160 and I have the gov set to 3000 rpm on throttle up 2.. its seems
to fly fine but Im not used to it that high and wanted to know if i should worry about anything happening with the head speed that high or if its still within safe limits..
FuzzzMan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

what is your tail ratio? The head should be able to handle the headspeed fine. The real issue is what your tail ratio is.

The DFC's came with a lower tail ratio, allowing one to run very high headspeeds without overspeeding the tail. If you're running those high headspeeds, on a pre-DFC ratio, you're probably over-speeding it and you may have issues.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm not sure what the tail ratio is.. I know it was upgraded from a belt to a torque tube, I haven't noticed it over fly the tail yet but I haven't spent to much time at 3000 rpm either.. my throttle up 1 is set at 2800 ish I'm just not used to hearing the head spin that fast so I was a little concerned..
Old 09-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

yea your tail grips might fly off....i know mine do if I go higher than 3100, learned this the hard way....you either have 31T or 36T tail gear on the boom mount, I have the 31T on mine and it couldnt handle >3100 so I imagine 36T would be even worse.....

i find my sweet spot for 3D is at 2900......
kiosk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a warning sticker on the Align blades to not go above 2650 rpm.
Not sure if this is the same for the PRO.

But running at 3000 rpm is not something I would recommend.
Phoenix R/C v5
helidude71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 500 CF is an older version of the 500 that had the higher tail ratio. You really shouldn't run it higher than 2700 rpm. You can double check which gear ratio you have relatively easily. The Pro tail drive has a 36T gear, and the shaft says 36T right on the side (you'll probably need a flashlight to see it, unless you pull the boom block out of the heli. The higher ratio (31T) tail drive gears don't have anything on the shaft.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

A sure-fire way to check would be to simply pull out the front tail drive gear and count the number of teeth on it. This is the little tiny gear that makes contact with the autorotation gear.

Next count the number of teeth on your auto gear. Then divide:

# teeth on auto / # teeth on tail drive = your tail ratio.

I think you need somewhere in the realm of 3.5 - 3.75 tail ratio in order to run 3000rpms. If you have the older ratio which is in the 4.5's or higher (forget what exactly), then your tail will be absolutely screaming......doing about 13,500rpm at 3000rpm headspeed
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My tail I believe is 31T but I will need to confirm it.. at any rate it might be a good idea to slow my head speed down just a little.... Thanks to all of you for the information and advice..
Old 09-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Your main gear is 162T by the way.
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 02:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
what is your tail ratio? The head should be able to handle the headspeed fine. The real issue is what your tail ratio is.

The DFC's came with a lower tail ratio, allowing one to run very high headspeeds without overspeeding the tail. If you're running those high headspeeds, on a pre-DFC ratio, you're probably over-speeding it and you may have issues.

DFC is just a type of head used on Align heli's. What I believe you are referring to is the Pro version.

As to answer the OP question, If you have the original CF and converted it, you are definitely running the older version and not the pro version. As said, you run a serious risk of blowing your tail apart at 3000 head speed. The highest I run is 2750 governed on mine. Also Blayd is correct, the main gear is 162T.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would back off the headspeed till you know what your tail ratio is...I ran mine to high before and a tail grip let loose. Got very lucky and autoed it in with minimal damage, but a tail grip flying off can cause a nasty crash.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Almost 100% sure he is flying the 31T tail drive gear, since he is flying a converted CF. ( ESP/"e" )
3000rpm's has been done on the ESP versions before, and yes, the tail at this ratio is screaming... BUT...the question here should be, are you running the "pro" version tail grips and hub? Or, the original, single radial bearing ESP tail grips and hub?
Also, maybe recheck your estimated head speed, since you thought you had a 160T main gear.
3000 rpm's on an ESP isnt out of the question, guys have done it...IF your running the right tail hub and grips, you might be OK. I personally dont run either of my ESP's that high. Really no need. I run governed at 2650 on both of mine.
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I exploded 2 tails on my 500EP.... From running high head speeds.... Seems the screw inside the tail hub breaks ( shears off the head of the screw ) I was running a 9cell setup with nutty head speeds.

I now run a stock Align 500mx motor with a 6 cell pack running around 2800 rpm head speed. I have installed the Align Pro tail and have had no problems with my tail blade grips flying off and the tail exploding.

MGPTWEGB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGPTWEGB View Post
I exploded 2 tails on my 500EP.... From running high head speeds.... Seems the screw inside the tail hub breaks ( shears off the head of the screw ) I was running a 9cell setup with nutty head speeds.

I now run a stock Align 500mx motor with a 6 cell pack running around 2800 rpm head speed. I have installed the Align Pro tail and have had no problems with my tail blade grips flying off and the tail exploding.
2850 is my happy place with a scorpion 1600kv/16tooth pinion. Im running an older belt drive 500E frame. I've since upgraded to the PRO tail hub and running i2RC grips They are Beautiful. I've never had a tail explode either.

3000 might be alittle high for the old tail ratio
* G700c BRAIN2 * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by helidude71 View Post
There is a warning sticker on the Align blades to not go above 2650 rpm.
Not sure if this is the same for the PRO.

But running at 3000 rpm is not something I would recommend.
even the brand new 3G 425's I bought just a week ago said 2650... BS, because Kenny Ko of Align flies at 2900 most of the time....
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScraper View Post
even the brand new 3G 425's I bought just a week ago said 2650... BS, because Kenny Ko of Align flies at 2900 most of the time....
I love this. So one guy, who is a team pilot flies beyond the recommended HS, so it's okay for everyone else?

I would stick to what's recommended. Safety first.
Ron_R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I just think "2650" is old. It's old ratings for old blade. I guarantee the new 3G could easily handle 3000 all day.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I guarantee the new 3G could easily handle 3000 all day.
How can you guarantee this?
Ron_R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I just think "2650" is old. It's old ratings for old blade. I guarantee the new 3G could easily handle 3000 all day.

The problem with your statement is that the problem is not with the FBL unit but with the tail blowing apart at high speed. As for th 3G handling the rpm, it can technically handle whatever speed. It is the mechanics that will throw a fit. Case in point, the 450 averages 3200 to 3400 head speed for 3D and the 500 Pro is around 2800 to 3000 rpm.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solmanbandit View Post
The problem with your statement is that the problem is not with the FBL unit but with the tail blowing apart at high speed. As for th 3G handling the rpm, it can technically handle whatever speed. It is the mechanics that will throw a fit. Case in point, the 450 averages 3200 to 3400 head speed for 3D and the 500 Pro is around 2800 to 3000 rpm.
I didn't even mention a FBL unit

I am talking about the 3G blades, as mentioned in post 15

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in