Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 600L Governor Mode Solved(750mx/Castle80)

UPDATE: Got the governor to work for 3D without surging and beating up the torque tube gear. I literally tried every combination of settings and ended up going back and forth to endpoints to compare my progess. The problem is that the 750mx is too powerful for the 2380 MAX headspeed the Castle would allow on the stock gearing. Not enough load on the motor and the ESC would surge and yank the tail.

A 15T pinion would be the ultimate answer but no one makes one yet for the MOD 1 gearing. But I finally got it working by setting the headspeed for 2500 rpm. Now I know it sounds crazy and that the Castle will be in the yellow (not red) warning. But it puts just enough load on the disc to allow you to turn up the gain without the motor surging. Castle says the ESC hovers at 99.5%. I think the only reason this works is because this motor is so overpowered for this airframe to begin with. It doesn't need a lot of headroom. I can confirm this with experimenting with V curves. Just a half percent with this motor is tremendously powerful.

It holds RPM under load light years better than the flat TC does and it still governs the entire flight. Predictable, reliable, consistent collective. The 750mx is so powerful, the ESC has just enough to keep it going under load. I'm talking big air power loops. You can actually switch and pop the disc at this RPM and the governor will react correctly. This is the only answer to govern hard 3D until someone makes the 15T pinion. I used these settings but the real factor is turning the headspeed up to 2500 to weigh down the almighty 750mx a little bit.

12 PWM
4 degrees timing (closer to zero will be ultra torque and make the motor change RPM slower)
2500 RPM (amazingly the governor still has reserve power for big air lifts)

Flew 2500 Endpoints back to back with 2500 Governed- The governor when working right, turns this helicopter into the beast of beasts. I mean its scary powerful. I want the 700L Top now with the 850mx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Endpoints.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	600636   Click image for larger version

Name:	16khz Governor Mode.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	600637  

Last edited by RC/DC_5000; 08-13-2015 at 08:14 PM..
RC/DC_5000 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Updated First Post

Last edited by RC/DC_5000; 08-13-2015 at 05:23 PM..
Old 08-04-2015, 04:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's good timing planning to setup the esc tonight.
Thanks mate... id read that changing the pwm upwards can help with constant headspeed.

Looking at the graphs gov setup looks spot on ! rpm much more smooth in the gov chart ! , and overall watts drawn reduced ! nice work, this helps so much ! will be doing same on my end.

good to know gov can be made to work ! my preferred setup by far
nabl74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 07:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Interesting. I usually set the PWM to highest available so that might explain why I never experienced the same issue.

Thanks for flagging it up.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Updated First Post

Last edited by RC/DC_5000; 08-13-2015 at 05:24 PM..
Old 08-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Updated First Post

Last edited by RC/DC_5000; 08-13-2015 at 05:24 PM..
Old 08-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

How did you get it to 2500? In set-rpm mode I entered the gearing for the pinion and main gear but the max it allows me to set the rpm at is 2,389 I believe. Did I do something wrong in the castle settings?
FiLazer88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Even though it gives you a warning, you can still set the rpm that you want. If your power system can't keep up, then it will just run at 100% throttle.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea it can actually run 2400 and 2500 RPM pretty good. You didn't do anything wrong no. Usually this wouldn't work out so well with the Castle governor.. but this motor is so over powered and torquey- it just needs a little bit of throttle headroom.

Both headspeeds are in the yellow warning... not the red. I've tested it and reviewed the logs and got it working damn near perfect. It holds RPM under load better at 2400 but it can still do pretty darn good at 2500. (Align pilots run it at 2400 rpm governed)

Anything below 2400 rpm and I had a nightmare of the motor surging power and causing all kinds of problems. The governor worked terrible and so did the tail. 2380 is the max it will govern without warnings... but even there- it caused surging/gain problems.

2400 RPM and you can get the gain cranked up nice and tight. It pops super crisp and I've had absolutely zero white powder on my gears. The torque tube gear has the least amount of wear since anything I've tried before. Nice tight tick tocks and the holy grail of power.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC/DC_5000 View Post
Yea it can actually run 2400 and 2500 RPM pretty good. You didn't do anything wrong no. Usually this wouldn't work out so well with the Castle governor.. but this motor is so over powered and torquey- it just needs a little bit of throttle headroom.

Both headspeeds are in the yellow warning... not the red. I've tested it and reviewed the logs and got it working damn near perfect. It holds RPM under load better at 2400 but it can still do pretty darn good at 2500. (Align pilots run it at 2400 rpm governed)

Anything below 2400 rpm and I had a nightmare of the motor surging power and causing all kinds of problems. The governor worked terrible and so did the tail. 2380 is the max it will govern without warnings... but even there- it caused surging/gain problems.

2400 RPM and you can get the gain cranked up nice and tight. It pops super crisp and I've had absolutely zero white powder on my gears. The torque tube gear has the least amount of wear since anything I've tried before. Nice tight tick tocks and the holy grail of power.
Awesome man. I entered your headspeed settings and my tail is behaving perfectly and my collective response is amazing . Just curious what your battery life is? I fly 2x opti power 3500 packs and I'm getting about 6 minutes of 3d time. Similar for you?
Old 08-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree it finally works basically perfect. I wish Align would post their best settings when they sell a kit. That took a long time to figure out. I guess thats part of the hobby.

I fly the Turnigy 60C 3300 at 2400 and land with 3.73-3.78 at 4 minutes. I could fly it longer, but I believe this makes the batteries last longer. The flight greatly depends on the way you fly it.

If you fly it like a large 450... that huge motor can really fill up with current and drain the battery quick. I also disabled over current protection entirely to keep it from ever shutting down under hard 3D.

The motor uses about 30 amps on average. Incredibly low operating current. That motor could never burn up that ESC if its setup correctly. (on the 600 frame). If it was on a 700... it would start on fire with a couple pitch pumps.

Reconfirmed it today.. the governor still works best at 2500 rpm though. And the entire helicopter flies better there.

Last edited by RC/DC_5000; 08-23-2015 at 06:08 PM..
Old 08-24-2015, 11:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Absolutely they should......I doubt anyone even messes with headspeeds of higher than 2300 because that's in the yellow, but 2400-2500 is where it should b. Not to mention that when i was in that range my motor and esc were getting extremely hot.....at 2450 my motor is lukewarm at best upon landing.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thats also true for me. I've been flying it at 2500 rpm... and it just needs a very delicate collective management for huge punch. It responds with insane power and the motor and ESC come down cool.

I actually fly (4) 12s packs back to back. Whereas before, I'd have to wait for the motor and ESC to cool down. The motor would get really hot at the lower RPM.

Aside from nearly flawless governor performance, the tail is so locked and stable that it feels like a simulator. Impossibly stable. The entire helicopter feels super light and over the top responsive.

Still getting 4 min flights, 3300 batteries, 2500 rpm, 12* pitch, 3.77 per cell, smooth collective management. At 2500 RPM, you can turn the gain up high where its supposed to be. And man, the governor works good.

I still have 2400 RPM for Idle 1. The governor is not quite as locked... but still good for sport flight.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use the BL750MX in my 600 Pro DFC with Castle Creations Edge HV 120.
I set the Edge in multi-rotor mode and use the gov on my Skookum SK720BE.

No surging and no weird tail wag.

And, I fly at 2100
ticedoff8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea its the Castle governor that does this. I thought about putting a VBar on it for external governor mode. But wanted to keep the kit stock and work with what I had.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm in the same spot as ticedoff8 i I've just installed the 750 on my 600eflpro and I'm running castle ice hv120 and I'm going to run and external governor on my spartan. Am I going to be ripping my heli part due to this motor and esc combo?
designbyfrank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just make sure you lower the Governor gain on the Spartan down to 20, like their setup instructions tell you. The default is 50, which will likely tear up your gears. If you really wanted to be careful, you could start even lower, and raise it incrementally.
Gladius is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also squeezed out 5800 watts peak today with 130 amps of current. ESC still maxed out at 165 degree F. This thing is scary powerful. That 5800 watt peak was during a backward loop. With the blades just cranking out massive barking power that can be heard blocks away.

I think I'll admit that Align had the gearing right even though the governor has to be in the warning. I'll be keeping the stock pinion and running it at 2400-2500 RPM governed. I'd hate to give up any mechanical leverage and possibly increase the current demands on the ESC by adding a tooth.

This thing rips box stock.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can You post Your CC setup conf ?
i'd like to have benchmark - to compare my settings
Old 08-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its in post number one of this thread. But basically what matters is at least 2400 headspeed, 12 PWM, and 4 degrees of timing.

I use 60C Turnigy batteries and they are pretty awesome. But even they can get a little tired when the 750mx really snaps hard on the collective. For example... a very high altitude inverted drop... and then smack the blades. I can hear the batteries sag a bit.

But the governor works great. Even better at 2500 rpm.

A word of caution- After reviewing my logs, I disabled over current protection. The current is usually around 30A and spikes briefly at 130A max. You can get soft cutoffs if you don't disable it. So your helicopter will fall out of the sky momentarily. My max temps are 180 degrees. So the current is obviously not a problem for the ESC.

This would only happen when you are flying it extra hard but its still something to be aware of.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in