Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Airplanes Info and Support > Autogyros

Autogyros R/C Autogyros Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cliff Chmiel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Whopper autogyro?

I was wondering about the current demand or interest in the Robbe Schutler Whopper Autogyro? I haven't heard much about it, and research brought very few and old hits.

Does anyone fly these anymore? I picked one up a few years back already put together and never flown from an estate sale. Having a big interest and love for helis It just caught my eye.

The autogyro is prebuilt with unpainted canopy or body, missing two out of the three head links, lacking the original wheel pants i think as the wheel pants that came with it were already painted white, also lacking the balsa stabalizer and elevator, to top off no manual. Has a 61 installed and never started or ran,(obvious that all gears are in new shape.

It came with a box containing various parts which I don't believe belong to the whopper. the box contained a couple sets of wood blades also.

I did find an old RMC mag review, but again researching the overall aspect of the whopper.

Thanks for your time and input.
bakerch1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2015, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Dad has one of these flys good had it for Years
YXLR8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2016, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Had one

I built one but a guy talked me out of it before I flew it. He flew it well though. I used a Picco .80 with a tuned pipe. If I remember the blade pitch was set at -3 to -3.5deg. I know it used the same head as the Schleuter Magic. The drive system works well to spin up thr head at high idle, just disengage it before lift off. Good luck with it.
charlesyoung is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, its a garage queen and a great conversation piece. I have yet to finish it off and still want to fly it but also fear I will put an end to it and not find parts to rebuild. I have read in a few places that they felt the .61 was to underpowered. Thanks for the head pitch info, greatly appreciated.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

piped supertiger 90's on the two I flew, heads shimmed, and using 30% cool power heli fuel. They were powered appropriately, but in no way overpowered. That was over 25 years ago, but i remember them well. any power off landing resulted in rebuilding the tail surfaces from the explosion when the blades hit them It was fun to fly though.
There were two sets of blades made for the whopper, an undercambered pair with wide chord and a flat bottom set. The flat bottoms were superior to the undercambered ones.

Champaign Il
Helifreak user # 7001
gwright is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Great memories, and very helpful flight tips. I do have a few sets each of cambered and flat bottom blades. I also stumbled across an old article that talked about making blades that was very interesting. The exploding tail insight is invaluable for a maiden. One of these days I'm going to dust it off and finish the build, not sure if I will be flying after the build though. In remembering the first rule of the R.C. hobby being "If you like your model and never want any damage to occur, don't fly it." These I have come to understand a only a few and far between left. It would be a sad day when I would reference the Whopper in past tense. I have thought about duplicating the model so I can lose a clone and not the original. Again thanks for your time and info shared.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have one
Cliff Chmiel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2017, 02:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have one? Do you fly it? What are your thoughts or insight? I still have yet to finish the build. I would like to find a manual for the whopper. Thanks for your time. Have a great day! Happy flying!
Old 07-15-2017, 01:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

i just got mine took awhile to find one. They used to have a 60 with a pipe it flew but was under powered, they use a 90 4 stroke and fly great, dam shame they don't make it any more. I just put A enya 90 in mine still have to balance the head and build the new style flat bottom blades.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check runryder under auto gyro Kirt and Randall put a electric motor on there's posted a video. Very cool
Old 08-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm converting mine to electric
Old 10-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default whopper

yahoo My whopper flies, made changes flies with stock blades, i did extend mainshaft one inch help's keep tail intact, and electric. Flies very cool wish i had the clark y blades.
robtv likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in