Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 7100 question

so, I don't need to use a regular govenor anymore? This is a new pretty cool device,
Looks like I need to pick up one of these,
Thanks,
Jeff
buster1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 01:55 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyJ View Post
Hey Bob,

The supplied switch that comes with the AR7100/R. Is there anything special about it?

On my 600N I used a Pin Flag Switch and it works great, but I was reading the manual for the hell of it and it says the following:

Note: The AR7100/AR7100R uses a
specifically designed switch. Conventionally wired switches are not
compatible with the AR7100.

Thanks,

Jody J.

Nothing real special, It's basically the same as your pin flag switch, the switch just give the rx the command to turn on and off by shorting the 2 outer pins (signal & negative).
Regular switches connected in line between the battery and the device so they actually pass the current and not just giving the command like the pin flag or sektrum switch.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do I fit the sensor on the backplate of my pumped OS .91?
nwolsink is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwolsink View Post
How do I fit the sensor on the backplate of my pumped OS .91?
Check this:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...=75327&page=20
Old 06-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLy View Post
Nothing real special, It's basically the same as your pin flag switch, the switch just give the rx the command to turn on and off by shorting the 2 outer pins (signal & negative).
Regular switches connected in line between the battery and the device so they actually pass the current and not just giving the command like the pin flag or sektrum switch.
Thanks!
JodyJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone got the backplate sensor to work properly with a YS 91SR? I've now tried two different sensors on the 91SR in my Aurora (and tried each sensor with both the limiter built into the AR7100R and with a separate RevMax unit) with no luck. With both sensors and on both limiters the crank pin is detected when it passes by, but it appears to be picked up twice during each passing. When I activate the limiters during flight they do nothing. I attached one of the sensors to the backplace of an OS91SZ-H that I'm not using, and turning the crank the pin is detected only once during each passing. I don't know what the difference is, but I wonder if the odd readings with the YS is causing the limiter to determine a sensor failure and pass the throttle curve straight through. So I'm curious, is it just me, or has anyone got this sensor to work with the YS91SR?
creightoncarr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #67 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I will be hooking mine up this week in prep for maiden Sunday so I will find out soon. I am sure this has been tested so I have to assume it should work.

I have noticed on my OS that testing on the bench for the sensor, I had some anomalies at first. Turning the motor the wrong way seemed to act like the LED was going OFF when the crank came around and the led was ON the rest of the time. Also if the crank is over the sensor on power up it also did this but within a few turns by hand it would straighten itself out and start working right.
Flying showed it worked just fine regardless of seeing this strangeness on the bench which didn't always happen.

The way this sensor works is it is a hall effect sensor and there are magnets in the sensor head. The magnets produce a field and when the crank pin comes around it disrupts this field and the hall effect sensor picks this up change. Maybe backing OFF the sensor a little from the backplate might help?

Anyway again I will be testing this by this weekend on the YS 91SR....

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll be interested to see how your testing goes with with YS. I remember you responding to my prior post indicating you saw some anomalies as well when turning the crank by hand, so I decided to go fly it and assumed everything would work. Unfortunately I was wrong. When I hook it up to the backplate of the OS I do get some anomalies here and there when rotating the crank, but nothing like with the YS. With the YS engine, it is very predictable, every time the crank pin goes by, the light flashes twice, without fail. I installed the standard hall effect sensor and magnet in the fan and using that method the limiter in the AR7100R works fine. I agree with you, I would assume that Spektrum tested this sensor on the YS engine, but it seems odd that of the two sensors I have neitehr one works on the YS. I have tried them with the sensor touching the backplate and with the sensor slightly removed the backplate with the same result. Weird.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #69 (permalink)

you guys sound like you need an optical sensor. i'll get to work on that. lol
rotorhead58d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I'm going to give another go tonight. I backed the sensor as far away from the backplate as possible by setting it to the inside hole for 50-sized engine mounting. The sensor now sits about 1/3cm away from the backplate and appears to function normally now as the crank passes by. I'll see tonight if it's too far away to funtion properly when the crank is spinning at operating speeds. The crank pin on the YS is 8mm in diameter whereas the crank pins on the OS91 and OS50 are 7mm and 6mm respectively. My thought is that the system is calibrated to detect a certain change in the magnetic field when the crank pin passes by, and the larger crank pin of the YS engine throws it off. I'm waiting to see if Bob gets his to work touching the backplate of the YS in his Aurora.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkboy View Post
Its not that big....But come on, you know the fan is super cool! (pun intended)
I saw one of the new Spektrum regs today running a 9100 RX. The regulator was a lot smaller than I thought it would be. It is definately something we could use on our helis (for regulated systems). He had it mounted in one of the sides of the servo tray on a 600N with a carbsmart next to it. After cutting off the upper and lower tabs it was a great fit and looked pretty cool too

If I see him thise weekend, Ill get some pics.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Isn't the 9100 the Powersafe receiver with two power inputs? That receiver doesn't have a regulator built in does it?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

An update on using the backplate sensor on the YS91SR:

After attaching the sensor to the bracket in the .50-sized mounting hole and giving myself about a 1/4cm gap between the backplate and the sensor it appears to be functioning properly now. I put four tanks on the Aurora this afternoon and the limiter locked right in. I was worried that the signal might be too weak with the sensor so far away. I was running 100% throttle curves and no problems with overspeeding even when really unloading the head. Attached is a pic showing the gap between the sensor and the backplate. Any closer than this and it would not work right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01794 [1280x768].jpg
Views:	994
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	51850  
Old 06-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #74 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Cool.... Glad that idea worked!
You did my leg work so now I don't have to go thorugh that
I am still going to mount my sensor first touching the back plate and then do this change if I need it.

Bob
Old 06-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by creightoncarr View Post
An update on using the backplate sensor on the YS91SR:

After attaching the sensor to the bracket in the .50-sized mounting hole and giving myself about a 1/4cm gap between the backplate and the sensor it appears to be functioning properly now. I put four tanks on the Aurora this afternoon and the limiter locked right in. I was worried that the signal might be too weak with the sensor so far away. I was running 100% throttle curves and no problems with overspeeding even when really unloading the head. Attached is a pic showing the gap between the sensor and the backplate. Any closer than this and it would not work right.
A pic of the whole beast will be nice too?

Robert
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bobbyk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyk View Post
A pic of the whole beast will be nice too?

Robert
Sure:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01775 [1600x1200].jpg
Views:	705
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	52094   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01777 [1600x1200].jpg
Views:	698
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	52095   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01778 [1600x1200].jpg
Views:	491
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	52096   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01780 [1600x1200].jpg
Views:	447
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	52097   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01785 [1600x1200].jpg
Views:	471
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	52098  

Name:	DSC01788 [1600x1200].jpg
Views:	417
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	52099  
Old 06-19-2008, 07:35 PM   #77 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

DAMN! That heli looks like mine

BTW... I had NO TROUBLE with my AR7100 sensor picking up the cracnk shaft.. I noticed you could NOT mount it on the bottom area of the motor as there is a "ledge" on the back cover that caused a problem with the sensor fitting on the YS. So I mounted mine on the side. Doesn't matter which side but that gave me NO false crank readings.

Bob
Old 06-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post

BTW... I had NO TROUBLE with my AR7100 sensor picking up the cracnk shaft.. I noticed you could NOT mount it on the bottom area of the motor as there is a "ledge" on the back cover that caused a problem with the sensor fitting on the YS. So I mounted mine on the side. Doesn't matter which side but that gave me NO false crank readings.

Bob
Sounds like its Ready to Rock and Roll this weekend!

Well see what the Aurora posses Bob to try out when he gets it flying....believe me it begs you to be naughty to it

Representing:
AMain Hobbies, XNova Motors
Jason Bell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #79 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

YEP! IT's DONE BABY!

I am finishing editing the videos now....

Sunday is ON and I cant wait to see you all out there!

Jason, I lost your phone number... can you PM it to me please...

Bob
Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post

Bob
Paul Beard said it had been tested with the YS engine and they had no problems during their tests. What's weird is that the only other person I know using a backplate sensor with the YS SR, besides you, had the same problems I did. After moving the sensor away from the backplate his started to work fine. I wonder why it seems to work on some engines and not on others (or maybe some sensors work and others don't).

I guess what it seems to boil down to is that you should try it first touching the backplate. If that works, great. If not then try moving it away from the backplate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in