Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Help! Psychological blocks!

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on what's going on in my head (its a big ask) with regard to two heli-flying issues.

1) I'm way happier turning clockwise than anticlockwise. I'm into slow forward flight, circles in front of me, shoulder height, but only clockwise. I can pirouette anti-clockwise but I'm never comfortable until I'm nearly fully nose-in.

2) I've two 450s, very similar. One is a pristine Beam E4, the other a beater Trex 450 Sport. I am way better with the Trex, in fact with the Beam I feel like a beginner. They are both set up very similarly. I know its in my head, but what's going on!?

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Oh, just to add, I've never crashed the Beam, but the Trex has been in a handful of times. I think it might be a case of "one more time won't make any difference".
wocka_wocka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

1) Sounds perhaps like you have become handed. I'm just wondering, have you practiced CW much more than CCW and did you start with one direction until you were comfortable then the other?

One tip that I got that I'll quote here is: Practice your weak side and your strong side shall be stronger.

Do you have a sim? In any case, practice your CCW turns until it's catching up with your CW turns but don't forget to throw in the occational CW turn in there. Don't want to "change hands" and become handed again.

Hope this helps.
If it ain't flyin, it's a downer,
LN400 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1

Your brain if left to it's own devices is programmed to find the easier route. So once you do your CW turns a few more times than CCW and get just a tad more comfortable what you will find is if you come to a turn where it doesn't matter which way and don't think about it you will turn CW almost automatically because it causes less stress and you are comfortable with it. Your brain works on a reward basis . You see a good result you want to repeat it. It feels good.

The trick is to consciously overcome this trend and forcing yourself to do what is uncomfortable, this is learning. The trick is to change things as much as you can and as soon as you practically can.

With the 2 helis your probably pretty close to the reason why or one is slightly quicker or more/less stable or you just fly one more..

Team Compass Pilot
Scott Bowersox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in